Jay Wright Reportedly Turned Down Big Money UCLA Offer

Jay Wright in 2019
Photo Credit: David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports

Is Villanova a Philly school?

Just kidding. This story is about Jay Wright, who reportedly turned down a huge money offer to coach the UCLA Bruins.

That’s via Ben Bolch at the Los Angeles Times, who wrote an article titled “The back story on UCLA’s long, strange search for a basketball coach.” In the piece, he shares the content of a text message sent from UCLA senior associate athletic director Josh Rebholz to major donors after the program failed to land John Calipari from Kentucky.

Here’s the first of two relevant Jay Wright passages:

Rebholz told the donors in the message viewed by The Times that the search committee started with a list of more than 60 candidates that included some of the biggest names in coaching: Calipari, Stevens, Tom Izzo, Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, Mark Few and Tony Bennett.

And the second after the jump:

“We would have loved for Jay Wright to walk out on the floor, but even when we offered to double his salary, he still wasn’t coming. Nothing we can do about that. But I am proud of our effort. We didn’t assume anything, took our shots and I believe will end up with a solid coach who will embrace UCLA and build a program we all can be proud of and root for.”

Wright earns $3.8 million, which is similar to what I make writing for Crossing Broad. So if you doubled his salary, that’s $7.6 million to leave the Main Line for Los Angeles, which I think would sound pretty damn good for a lot of people.

But the bottom line is that Nova is a better program than UCLA in 2019. Wright has two national championships this decade while UCLA hasn’t made a Final Four since 2008. They ended up with Mick Cronin, who did a really nice job at Cincinnati but couldn’t get the Bearcats into the Sweet 16 in their last seven tournament appearances.

Unfortunately for the Bruins, John Wooden ain’t walking through that door. And donors must not be happy if they’re showing text messages to LA Times reporters.

• Esports are the future April 30, 2019 at 1:02 pm

Master Splinter didn’t sell out the Turtles when he had a chance to make a deal with The Shredder… the same rule applies here.

• Rollie M. April 30, 2019 at 1:31 pm

Shave off about 760K per year off the top for the difference between PA and CA income tax rate, factor in far higher property taxes and costs, plus a 9% sales tax…. Yeah I’d still go.

• D Block Graterford April 30, 2019 at 4:15 pm

Any updates on the potential CB subscriber meet-up at the next Union game? I had such fun at the Brewerytown soy-fest this past wknd. I even got a Gritty tattoo on my calf! I would like nothing more than to attend a similar event hosted by the wonderfully open-minded progressive writers here at CB. Remember, we all need to bring an under-pr!vileged human of @fr!can heritage to make sure we check R wh!te pr!v!lege and engage in a day of harmony while enjoying the multicultur^d utopia we will set up in the parking lot. It will be like a cross between n phila and a border town setting in Texas. All the purple haired manly empowered femin@zis and their beta-orbiting soy c^ks R encouraged to attend as long as they bring some PBR.

• Thick Ropes Cuz April 30, 2019 at 1:14 pm

Some thoughts
    1. Congrats on the sex Kink
    2. You don’t make 3.8 dollars, let alone 3.8 million
    3. Jay is hanging around and waiting for the Sixers job

• Reality April 30, 2019 at 1:25 pm

Some disconnected people running UCLA athletics. For some reason they thought they could get Calipari for less than what UK was paying (got me), and then thought Jay would take anything other than an NBA gig? If Jay is taking another college job it is only at one of the Blue bloods, and even that is a stretch.

• Has Kyle issued a statement yet on Kinkead’s firing from KYW-Tv for racist tweets? April 30, 2019 at 1:26 pm

Does Kyle place his own integrity and profits second to discrimation, slander, anti-Semitism and racism?

• Denenberg's Dumper April 30, 2019 at 1:29 pm

You’re really beating this one to death

• Moral Compass Kinker Caught With a Dark Racist Past April 30, 2019 at 1:42 pm

Yes. Kyle has a spine made of play-doh.

• Noob April 30, 2019 at 2:11 pm

Can you provide a) a screenshot of the tweet in question, or b) an explanation of how the word puto is racist or anti-Semitic? No? Didn’t think so.

• Kinks a simp April 30, 2019 at 2:32 pm

He has a history of dodging accountability for his unprofessionalism

H ttps://twitter.com/Kevin_Kinkead/status/744386675158056961

• Noob April 30, 2019 at 2:49 pm

So, the answers are a) no, and b) no. Thanks for clearing that up.

• I see you’re related April 30, 2019 at 2:53 pm

The capacity of your intellect is small, so grasping the idea that it was deleted immediately may come as a surprise to you.

Stay after class and I’ll walk you through part B.

• Noob April 30, 2019 at 3:27 pm

Why wait? I’m super woke and yet I still need you to walk me through it. I’m sure it will be very enlightening.

• How much longer will Kyle and Kink just pretend this will go away? April 30, 2019 at 2:54 pm

Kink you are only embarrassing yourself further by posting under phony names and asking for evidence.

• D Block Graterford April 30, 2019 at 3:58 pm

Puto is more of a h0m0-ph0bic slur, meaning MLK, Hillary, and Barak Barry Suerto Hussein Obama (?!) would all approve.

• MTLviaLanghorne April 30, 2019 at 2:05 pm

A sincere and belated congratulations to Kevin K. on the birth of his daughter. That’s awesome. Enjoy every bit of it. It’s a blessing.

• Alex Trebek's Pancreas April 30, 2019 at 3:04 pm

Is the child OK with being labeled a female?

• cheesedick April 30, 2019 at 2:59 pm

They should’ve hired Phil Martelli. Dude is a legend…one of the best coaches all time in any sport. All it would’ve took is a $25 gift card to McDonalds, 12 pack of Bud pounders and 17 chocolate frosted donuts.

• Internet pedagogue April 30, 2019 at 3:17 pm

‘Would’ve took’? Are you a slow adult, player?
      ‘Would’ve taken is what you needed there. You’ve been Gogued!!

• Enbarassing April 30, 2019 at 3:46 pm

Are you a slow adult?

Missing something aren’t you?

You’ve been humiliated.

• Internet pedagogue April 30, 2019 at 3:57 pm

Take your Goguing like a man, son. Your grammar is an abomination. I’m only here to help dullards such as yourself. You’re welcome.

• Whoops April 30, 2019 at 4:14 pm

Such as yourself?

Lol.

FYI – I am not the original poster.

Such as yourself….lol.

I am just helping people “such as yourself”.

• Such as yourself ... April 30, 2019 at 5:31 pm

Is perfect English, homey.

• Such as yourself. April 30, 2019 at 6:04 pm

Lol.

Sounds like an 8th grader trying to impress, yet butchering the language.

Just trying to help dullards like you …I mean such as yourself.

Lol.

• Internet pedagogue April 30, 2019 at 8:49 pm

What point are you trying to make, dunce?

• ‘Such as yourself May 1, 2019 at 6:23 am

Point – you log on to annoy people but ended up annoyed and humiliated.

I thought it was pretty obvious for someone ‘such as yourself.

• Internet pedagogue May 1, 2019 at 10:17 am

No, I log on to correct the grammar of those who transgress. The Gog never gets annoyed, and the Gog is infallible.
            I can no longer argue with you , cretin.
            I must stay ever vigilant for morons such as yourself. No further correspondence is necessary!

• 'such as yourself May 1, 2019 at 10:56 am

Argue?

I was laughing at you and people (space) , (space) ‘such as yourself.

Me, myself enjoyed it.

LOL – embarrassing.

• Kate Devlin April 30, 2019 at 3:34 pm

I’m just happy that Jay’s happy!

Did I hear somebody had a baby? Oh boy!! I bet you’re having some sleepless nights! LOL! Congrats to all!

– Kate

• Jeepers creepers April 30, 2019 at 4:20 pm

Kate D. gives Candy from the Oak a run for the money as best commenter. Fantastic stuff

• Everyone April 30, 2019 at 4:24 pm

Not even close, you must be new around here

• Jeepers creepers April 30, 2019 at 5:08 pm

Nah, if Candy resurrects and proves me wrong, then I will agree. Otherwise we have to put up with droning comments about Cuz Ropes, tiresome KK bashing, and loser Esports talking about a video game

• Anti Glob@ H@mo Agenda-ist April 30, 2019 at 6:12 pm

Hey. KK is a known r@cist who should be punished same as Kate Smith statue. And Mr E-sports r the future is like a prophet around here as far as I’m concerned. They R spending millions building that new e-sports jawn down near the Linc so obviously he was right. I am a bit mystified about the whole Cuz shoots thick ropes thing.

• Hardcore 2 1/2 for 4 April 30, 2019 at 8:05 pm

Why would he take the UCLA job when he’s waiting to be hired by the Sixers?

• Knomb May 1, 2019 at 1:58 am

Kinkhead is like anDY rEID AND tYREEK hILL.
    hE tHINKS BY ignoring the QUestions/matter it will go away.
    KInkHEad should just admit his racist tweet shit and|
    maybe he will be okay. I worked for Arod an HE JUicED
    for most OF His CAreeR and was caught at LEast Twice.