Alain Vigneault is Your New Flyers Coach

Vigneault with Flyers
Photo Credit: Jean-Yves Ahern-USA TODAY Sports

Wow!

Monday afternoon stunner:

It’s not Joel Quenneville.

It’s not Scott Gordon.

It’s… Alain Vigneault?

Ok here’s the thing –

Vigneault has had some really good NHL seasons. No, his New York tenure didn’t end on a high note, but he took both the Canucks and Rangers to the finals (with veteran heavy teams). I don’t know if he’s the right match for the Flyers, though. I don’t know if he’s a guy who’s gonna come in here and groom young players or show patience in that department. Maybe there’s some frustration there, maybe not. Maybe some guys go in the dog house while others respond well and thrive.

Anthony and Russ will do the real analysis later, but until then, you tell me –

Alain Vigneault – yay? nay? meh?

Here’s his head coaching record:

• Wishy washy Kevy Wawa April 15, 2019 at 3:56 pm

“Anthony and Russ will do the real analysis later, but until then, you tell me –“

Why aren’t they posting this then? Kyle can’t afford to keep them on payroll? Pay per article? Perhaps he should cut you and hire one of them. We all can read Twitter too.

• At least he is a real coach and not part of the Flyer organization April 15, 2019 at 4:14 pm

Should see an immediate improvement next season.

• Steve Mason Elite Unemployed NHL Goalie April 15, 2019 at 4:19 pm

At least he has NHL experience and wasn’t hired because he coach the GM’s son in college.

• Gene April 15, 2019 at 4:21 pm

Sorry racist Trump people. The Muller report goes public tomorrow. Trump is probably going to jail and Liz Warren is going to throw away the key!

• Everyone April 15, 2019 at 11:52 pm

Get the politics out of here. Nobody wants that here.

• Timmay April 15, 2019 at 4:27 pm

He will improve the team short term. Well that and some properly executed trades, signings, fruits of player development , etc. this offseason. That said, we already have had coaches who lost in the Stanley Cup Finals so why another failure of a retread? My biggest concern is that the retread GM and the retread Coach, who by the way, has no track record of developing or putting younger players in position to either improve or thrive, will leave this organIzation scorched earth style. They will do all this with Dave Scott’s , a guy who is clueless about hockey, and Comcast’s blessing, since they will get an uptick in ad revenue and ticket sales. My bet is this will end with Flyers fans still looking with a teary eye at 1975…………

• Real Ity Check April 15, 2019 at 4:48 pm

Generally agree with all of your point. Not sure about the “uptick in ad revenue and ticket sales” though — don’t think Vigneault is going to get the fanbase overly excited unless they come out of the gates strong next season. Personally, would’ve given Gordon a two-year deal including a full training camp. He had an uncanny ability to communicate with these players, youngsters and veterans alike. Afraid Vigneault will be more like Hitch, decent shot to make a good playoff run or two but too a short leash with young players for them to develop (see also: Sharp, Patrick).

• Karen Hepp is hot April 15, 2019 at 4:27 pm

MEH

• Reggie Noble April 15, 2019 at 8:13 pm

Pretty obvious that the light skinned dude on with her is taxing that snowflake ass

• Kevin Bacon April 16, 2019 at 12:43 pm

She’s a go-er too. Hey mama!

• Fred Shero April 15, 2019 at 4:43 pm

I can do a better job than this guy right now!! Flyers are as dead as I am!!

• Mitch Cumsteen April 15, 2019 at 5:34 pm

But who will be the coach in 2020

• Atypical Philly Fan April 15, 2019 at 11:01 pm

I took a dictionary, and looked up the definition of a retread coach, and the same picture Crossing Broad used

• I don't watch much hockey April 15, 2019 at 11:08 pm

but I recognize this guy’s face so I guess that’s good…better players are probably more important though. As Lou Holtz said…“I’ve coached teams with good players and I’ve coached teams with bad players. I’m a better coach when I have good players!”

• With That said April 15, 2019 at 11:18 pm

Greatest sports comedy movie of all time:
    A) Caddyshack
    B) Slapshot
    C) Major League
    D) Rudy

“I here to play for the Irish” Vince Vaughn should have punched Rudy in the scrotum & red shirted him indefinitely.

• Tits April 16, 2019 at 6:46 am

No , Rudy is amazing.

• Rowhome April 16, 2019 at 6:54 am

Kevin, thank you for deleting all of the islamaphobic comments.