“It Felt Great to Get That Thing Off,” Says Carson Wentz of His Knee Brace

Carson Wentz on the first day of OTAs
via John Clark

Judging by the video clips I saw on Twitter today, the Philadelphia Eagles are going 16-0.

DeSean Jackson looked good without any defensive backs covering him. Nate Sudfeld was excellent in handing the ball off. And Carson Wentz, without his knee brace, was a full participant, with no restrictions, in the OTA session.

“It felt great to get that thing off,” said the Birds quarterback, releasing a pronounced sigh of relief. “I felt good out there.”

So what went into the decision to take off the brace? Did he push for it? Did the medical staff give him the green light?

“Ultimately it was my decision,” Wentz said. “But just talking through it with everybody, we felt it was best going forward. The knee feels good; it feels strong. I feel better without it.”

Wentz says the plan is to go without the brace in games, so it looks like we’re moving forward sans brace for the foreseeable future. I know I joked about the OTA video clips above, which show players doing May repetitions against nobody in particular, but Carson honestly looks like he’s moving well here:

Here’s another clip of Wentz’s footwork in the “pocket,” after the jump:

It is, of course, one thing for Wentz to be given full clearance to participate without restriction in the spring and summer, but is there an element of restraint? Does Carson have to look out for himself and stick to the plan without trying to do too much, too soon?

“To some extent, yeah,” he said. “As a competitor, you want to take every rep and you want to do this, want to do that. But at the same time, you just stay the course, and I feel really confident where I’m at, and I feel like I’ve learned a lot through these processes, to not be my worst enemy and just kind of listen to advice along the way. I feel good where I’m at.”

“I wouldn’t necessarily say I’ve been (my worst enemy) over the last two years, but it was more of just how I was wired growing up, being from North Dakota, a smaller school, and all of those things. You just want to work, work, work, push, push, push, and there are times maybe where you just have to tone it down a little bit and listen to some advice people are giving you. But it’s been a good process, unfortunately, over the last through years going through this and I feel good with where I’m at today.”

Wentz also explained that he studied up on the way that Tom Brady and other players have focused on diet and nutrition as ways to stay healthy and perform at an elite level. He didn’t want to go into specifics about that, but joked about writing a book about it some day.

• Reality Check May 21, 2019 at 4:06 pm

Remember last season we kept seeing videos of how great Wentz looked on his bad knee? And how it looked like he wasn’t hurt at all? And people were predicting a dynasty…and then the season happened? Because every single day until he took the field we were inundated with this nonsense and then he went out and played slightly better than mediocre and we were told in November that his broken back was not the result of him being injury prone and unable to absorb punishment, but because his knee was bothering him and it threw off his mechanics.

So, take your videos of Wentz doing “footwork” during a voluntary camp and shove it.

• Butt Hurt In Philly May 21, 2019 at 6:05 pm

Its obvious you believed it or you wouldn’t be so butt hurt.

That just means you a sucker for believing the philly ‘media’ gauntlet.
      What you don’t understand is that most of the radio media are just fans
      who got a job and talk smack and a lot of the tv media are just a$$ kissers
      and mouth pieces. They ALLLLLLLLL flip-flop there opinions on a dime.

I suggest you realign your expectations and take things with a grain of salt before
      you have a coronary.

I really hope you didn’t fall for supporting the sham ‘process’ bullshot that resulted
      in them losing……ON PURPOSE……..for 4 years…and they still have no championships
      to show for it.

• Sean Brace on your leg for a year May 21, 2019 at 4:54 pm

How do you deal with something like that.

• Meeeeee tooooo May 21, 2019 at 6:06 pm

Looks like the third best QB . In the NFC east.

• Bernie In London May 21, 2019 at 7:18 pm

Sort of like you being the third best crank in your wife’s bed.
      Put you red Eli Manning jersey back on, go back into the SEPTA subway and take your beating
      like a man…..you fucking chugger.

• Meeeeee tooooo May 21, 2019 at 8:20 pm

1 Prescott 2 Haskins 3 Brittle ginger Jesus 4 Manning.

• Rowhome May 21, 2019 at 9:49 pm

Zero chance Trump loses in 2020. The left has fallen

• My 10 Year old would be a better President May 22, 2019 at 10:04 am

yeah – just look at his popularity soar. Too bad there aren’t enough racists left to get him re-elected. Beat it.

• Reality Check May 22, 2019 at 10:26 am

46% approval rating to Obama’s 48% at same points of their presidencies.

Obama had no problem getting re-elected. And he went up against a fairly middle of the road, right leaning centrist, not one of the the wacko bunch of hard core leftists or Old Man Biden Trump will be facing.

• Larry May 22, 2019 at 3:55 pm

shut off the fox news. He’s down to 41% this morning and dropping quickly. The guy is a lying con-man. He’s given you/us nothing. No lower taxes, price increases coming on tariffs. you like him because he hates brown people just like you. And here is a great place for you to preach where you can hide in anonymity behind your computer. Clown show.

• Larry May 22, 2019 at 4:03 pm

BTW – Biden is 4 years older than Trump. Not saying I endorse Biden but let’s not get into health and long term lifespan. Trump is an overweight slob who has never exercised a day in his life. He’s still recovering from the bone spurs he made up to get out of the draft.

• Hillary Clinton May 21, 2019 at 10:13 pm

Big Pharm donated over $ 500,000,000 to my 2016 campaign.