Landon Collins Says Giants Let Go of Players Who Were “Too Vocal”

Landon Collins with Giants
Photo Credit: Vincent Carchietta-USA TODAY Sports

Question –

Which New York football team is more functional? Is it the Giants or the Jets?

One team jettisoned a bunch of good players and reached for a quarterback in the 2019 draft. The other hired a head coach, then fired their general manager about one week before the start of OTAs.

I’ll go ahead and say neither. Both are wracked with problems and headed for 6-10, or worse.

Landon Collins, the Pro Bowl safety who left for the Redskins in free agency, spoke a bit about the Giants’ dysfunction, which was written up by Jordan Ranaan at ESPN. Collins says he thinks the Giants were axing players who were “too vocal and had expansive non-football platforms.”

“I know with myself, (Damon Harrison), Odell (Beckham Jr), (Olivier Vernon), all we wanted to do was win, and we spoke up because we had to get them to listen to us,” Collins said. “We had to get them to get us winning pieces to help us at least be contenders.

“I think we were too vocal, and that platform was bigger than the Giants, you know, and our words stood out more. And … if it’s not good media, they don’t want that kind of media.”

Collins went on to say that GM Dave Gettleman never talked to him as he entered free agency, after the jump:

“I wish he’d say something. Try to,” Collins said. “I mean, he had come around, shake your hand, say ‘Good job big fella,’ or something like that. But honestly, talking to him, or saying anything, having a full conversation or anything with him, nothing.

“I mean, he basically … I don’t know him, he don’t know me, that’s kind of how it just kind of was.”

Sounds like Chip Kelly, yes? Sounds like the New York football Giants could go for a bit of emotional intelligence.

Anyway, here’s the Birds’ schedule for today:

• 10:45 am … Doug Pederson available in auditorium.
  • 11:30 am … Practice begins. Open to media in its entirety.
  • 2:00 pm … Locker room open for 45 minutes following meetings.
  • TBD … Carson Wentz available in auditorium.

• dave meltzer May 21, 2019 at 10:10 am

The script for this week’s WWE RAW episode was reportedly still being worked on as the show hit the air on the USA Network. @Wrestlevotes reported that the final script for this week’s RAW was still not done and completed when RAW went live on the air at 8pm ET. There’s no word yet on what the hold ups were, but we will keep you updated.

• Hey, Kev... May 21, 2019 at 10:16 am

What questions are you planning to ask Doug P and Carson at today’s presser?

You will be there, right?

Or will you be at home…listening to the presser on talk radio…just like the rest of us?

• Kevin Kinkead May 21, 2019 at 10:30 am

I cover the Sixers, why would I be down at NovaCare

• Then don’t write about the Eagles May 21, 2019 at 10:49 am

I didn’t realize you traveled to Toronto for the series?

• Kevin Kinkead May 21, 2019 at 11:07 am

why would we waste money on that? not worth the investment for the same quotes everybody else has

plus I’m not driving or flying to Toronto with a newborn in the house anyway, so just chill homeboy

• LYFT IPO May 21, 2019 at 11:23 am

I prefer to be called Puto, homeboy.

Everything you’ve ever written has the same quotes as everyone else, so why waste the 40k/yr investment?

• Kevin Kinkead May 21, 2019 at 12:40 pm

every comment you write is the same thing

you’re boring

• Ed Snider May 21, 2019 at 10:38 am

yeah because that’s what management types want at any job…employees who make a lot of noise for an organization that’s continually failing

• Ed Snider's yarmulke May 21, 2019 at 11:07 am

Unlike my organization where I would hire compliant ex Flyers for all levels of management. My results speak for themselves: ZERO cups in 44 years.
      Time to go, Mao, Stalin, Pol Pot, Lenin and I have a fivesome planned in the fires today.

• TS May 21, 2019 at 1:04 pm

so basically, what he is saying, is that they were all “too black”