Phillies GM Matt Klentak spoke a short time ago about the Odubel Herrera incident.
Herrera was arrested in Atlantic City last night on domestic violence charges and was placed on administrative leave by Major League Baseball. A police report says Herrera’s girlfriend had “visible signs of injury to her arms and neck.”
- Gabe Kapler held a team meeting today to talk about the incident
- Herrera did talk to Kapler and Klentak on the phone, apologized to the manager and GM
- it’s “premature” to speculate whether Herrera has played his last game as a Phillie
- Herrera’s name was taken off the All-Star ballot
- Nick Williams was called up
- the Phillies are going to be transparent with this situation
- he’ll defer to Gabe Kapler on playing time, but this does open the door to more center field reps for Scott Kingery
- MLB and the players union will direct the investigation, it’s not a team-led thing
- the Phils found out about the arrest at 9:45 this morning
- “I don’t think we have a choice” as far as the length of the investigation and this process.
- By rule, Herrera gets paid while on leave
Good to get Klentak out there for transparency purposes, I’d say.
Here’s tonight’s lineup:
- McCutchen 8
- Segura 6
- Harper 9
- Hoskins 3
- Realmuto 2
- Hernandez 4
- Kingery 5
- Williams 7
- Pivetta 1