Philly.com is Rebranding as Inquirer.com

Stunner on a Thursday afternoon!

Philly.com is going the way of the Dodo bird, making way for…. Inquirer.com?

Yes that’s apparently what is happening here, as first spotted by Sean Brace at Philly Influencer:

Here’s the explanation, after the jump:

On June 2, The Philadelphia Inquirer will introduce a new logo and move our website to Inquirer.com. It’s a small change with a big impact on our mission to be your indispensable source of local news.

Why the new logo?

Inquirer content lives on more platforms than ever before. By making a few small tweaks, our new logo will be able to represent us better on our website, mobile app, social media channels, in print, and throughout the Philadelphia region.

Why is Philly.com becoming Inquirer.com?

We want our digital presence to reinforce our overall brand and our diverse voice, and for readers to easily identify us as their trustworthy, indispensable source of local news. and don’t worry – Philly.com will redirect to Inquirer.com, so you don’t even have to update your bookmarks.

No mention of the Daily News in there anywhere. On a related note, we’re told that the company running the newspaper and website will no longer be known as “Philadelphia Media Network.” It will now be known as “Philadelphia Inquirer, PBC,” which stands for “public benefit corporation.”

So there might be another layer to this that I’m unaware of, maybe an Inquirer/Daily News split, but if not, this is a weird idea for two reasons:

1. Philly.com is the most recognizable URL in this region. It’s a massively well-known and familiar brand.
  2. Most people can’t spell “Inquirer”

This news comes about one week after it was revealed that more buyouts and possible layoffs are looming for PMN employees.

Says the Maestro:

• sheckler May 30, 2019 at 3:46 pm

this is the equivalent of kyle scott disappearing from his website and handing the keys over to captain kinkhead who has as much value as the captain of the titanic

• You’ve reached a new low Kinkead May 30, 2019 at 4:28 pm

Sad you cut paste everyone else’s content but when you have to give credit to Brace, time to pack it in for good.

Kyle’s gambling videos are hysterically bad. He’s truly shameless.

• (K)yle (K)inker (K)uck boy May 30, 2019 at 7:33 pm

Don’t forget, Kyle Scott obviously approved of hiring a known racist and continues to employ
      said racist.

• trolling May 31, 2019 at 7:29 am

shhhh the liberal wimp said it never happened! #HerBody #HerChoice #KidsMatterAtBaseballGames ! hahaha

• Tyson Smith May 30, 2019 at 3:56 pm

Only idiots can’t spell it. It’s not that hard dummy.

• Doc Brown May 30, 2019 at 4:07 pm

They should change the name to www .liberalragthatwillbebankruptinayear .com That seems more fitting

• One in the pink, two in the Kink May 30, 2019 at 4:30 pm

Anyone who can’t spell Inquirer probably can’t read a new site anyway

• Hulk hogan May 30, 2019 at 5:51 pm

I miss the comment section on philly dot com

• I will not go. Turn the lights off. Carry me home. May 30, 2019 at 6:06 pm

Sorry Philly.com or Inquirer.com or whatever the hell you want to call yourself … there ain’t no way you will ever be my or our, or anyone’s “indispensable source of local news” when your site is set up with a pay wall. Nope, not happening. I will not pay. I will never pay. And “you shall not pass!”

• (K)yle (K)inker (K)uck boy May 30, 2019 at 7:36 pm

I can sort of understand why they would put up a pay wall, but i’m with you.
      There are ways around it anyway.

On the other hand, Kyle Scott ‘charging’ for anything related to CrossingBroad
      is down right funny and disgusting. Its laughable….really.

• Walter Annenberg's ghost May 30, 2019 at 7:15 pm

Fatal mistake to change the “I”conic “I” in Inquirer. This comes after they published a commemorative supplement to celebrate its 190th anniversary. In same issue, you may have seen a pillow for sale with that “I” on it. Couldn’t leave well enough alone. I knew I saw that tweaked logo, which appeared on the masthead on the 20th, and something was up about that. I hate changes like that!

• What a stupid move May 31, 2019 at 9:37 am

Let’s remove the city name. What does Inquirer mean to anybody in another state. This is not a well known paper like the LA Times, NYT, Washington Post.

• David J. Smith Jr. June 24, 2019 at 12:25 pm

I paid for Philly.com, that included the Inquirer and the Daily News content, what am I getting for my paid digital subscription?