Madden 20 ratings are out, which means it’s time for overreaction.
What players were valued too high? Too low? Who got the ultimate video game diss?
QB Controversies Abound
|Patrick Mahomes||Kansas City Chiefs||97|
|Tom Brady||New England Patriots||96|
|Philip Rivers||San Diego Chargers||94|
|Drew Brees||New Orleans Saints||92|
|Andrew Luck||Indianapolis Colts||92|
|Russell Wilson||Seattle Seahawks||91|
|Aaron Rodgers||Green Bay Packers||90|
|Matt Ryan||Atlanta Falcons||89|
|Ben Roethlisberger||Pittsburgh Steelers||85|
|Cam Newton||Carolina Panthers||84|
|Jared Goff||Los Angeles Rams||83|
|Baker Mayfield||Cleveland Browns||83|
|Deshaun Watson||Houston Texans||82|
|Carson Wentz||Philadelphia Eagles||82|
|Kirk Cousins||Minnesota Vikings||81|
|Dak Prescott||Dallas Cowboys||81|
|Derek Carr||Oakland Raiders||80|
|Andy Dalton||Cincinnati Bengals||80|
|Marcus Mariota||Tennessee Titans||79|
|Matthew Stafford||Detroit Lions||79|
Does Philly Overvalue Carson Wentz?
The Eagles’ franchise quarterback comes in with an absolutely underwhelming 82 overall rating in Madden 20. Look, I get it, the guy has to prove that he can stay healthy and his mobility appeared to be a bit limited as he recovered from tearing up his knee in 2018. If we follow a similar line of thinking, it makes some sense that Deshaun Watson, who also suffered a comparable injury in the same season, has the same overall rating. However, I need someone at EA Sports to explain the presence of Baker-freaking-Mayfield as a higher-rated 83. Will he put up some killer numbers with OBJ and Jarvis Landry streaking downfield? Of course. Has he put together the same kind of sustained excellence over the majority of a season like Wentz or even Watson? I say nay. Jared Goff being ahead of Wentz is nearly as perplexing, though I imagine it’s just a masterful job of trolling Eagles fans. Though, it has made our office buzz and wonder… do we overrate Carson Wentz?
Aaron Rodgers not in the Top-5?
In what world is Aaron Rodgers not a Top-5 QB in the NFL? Patrick Mahomes leading the list makes sense as he’s the reigning, defending, undisputed league MVP from a year ago and is the lead among numerous sportsbooks to do the same in 2019-20. Tom Brady’s placement as a close #2 is fair, but that’s where the wheels fall off. Philip Rivers is the THIRD-BEST QUARTERBACK IN THE NFL? He’s two full points ahead of Drew Brees? Really? Andrew Luck is rated in line with Brees? Russell Wilson -the modern-day Michael “Run around as my O-Line collapses and hope I don’t die” Vick- gets a boost due to his speed and elusiveness. For my money, flip Rodgers and Rivers and I’ll calm down.
Mitchell Trubisky’s 75 Overall Madden Rating Will Enrage Chicago Bears Fans
I don’t think Trubisky is by any means a Top-10 or even Top-15 quarterback, but holy shnikies this is bad. Alex Smith is rated higher, despite suffering one of the most gruesome leg injuries we’ve seen in years. Lamar Jackson’s NINETY-FOUR speed rating likely led to his one point lead in the overall category, but does anyone really think Trubisky is roughly the same player as journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick?
Former Eagles QB and Super Bowl LII MVP Nick Foles has been installed as a 77 overall player, the exact same rating as Alex Smith. Is he really worse than Jimmy Garoppolo? I’d say no. Worse than Matthew Stafford? Sure.
A Giant Disappointment
Eli Manning is the 36th overall rated QB with an overall score of 72. That makes him the lowest-rated starting QB in the NFC East behind Wentz (82), Dak Prescott (81), and Smith (77). The Giants’ first round pick Daniel Jones comes in way below Manning with an overall rating of 63, a mere point ahead of third-stringer Kyle Lauletta.
Kevin Kinkead has the rating for every Eagles player, along with some news and notes after the jump:
Philadelphia Eagles Ratings
|Rodney McLeod Jr||FS||79|
|Sidney Jones IV||CB||76|
|Donnel Pumphrey Jr||HB||68|
- Fletcher Cox, at 96, is the highest rated Eagles player in the game and the only Bird in the top 15. Jason Kelce is second, listed at 94, and Zach Ertz is third, given a 93 rating.
- Desean Jaccson got an 85.
- They ranked Ronald Darby as the best Birds corner, with an 82. Avonte Maddox was second with a 78 and Jalen Mills got a 74. Sidney Jones is a 76 and Cre’Von LeBlanc a 73.
- First round draft pick Andre Dillard is rated a 70, which feels low to me, but of course I don’t know how you rate a guy who has never played an NFL game.
- Stefen Wisniewski was rated 66, which is really low. Wis is a good player.
- Rick Lovato, the long snapper, is listed as a backup tight end and rated a 41.
- Nate Sudfeld and Clayton Thorson are both in the bottom five of the Eagles list, with a 57 and 56, respectively.
- Cox, Ertz, and Kelce all were given a 98 awareness rating.
- The fastest Bird? Madden has a five way tie between Maddox, Jaccson, Darby, Shelton Gibson, and Josh Hawkins, all given a 93.
- Blake Countess and Maddox have the Birds’ highest acceleration rating, a 94.
- Maddox was given a team-high 96 agility rating.
- Brandon Brooks was given a team-high 96 strength rating.
What do you think? Did EA Sports get it right?