Howard Eskin Says Alshon Jeffery is the Anonymous Eagles Source (updated)

Photo credit: Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports

Let’s get it back to the Eagles.

Howard Eskin, aka “The King,” went on Cataldi’s show this morning and was asked about the Josina Anderson anonymous source nonsense from last week (and last year).

Here’s part of their exchange:

Cataldi: Do you know who it is?

Eskin: Yeah.

Cataldi: Are you willing to tell us?

Eskin: Yeah why not. Alshon Jeffery.

Cataldi: It is?

Eskin: Yes. The thing is, here’s why he’s foolish and stupid – He knows that she’s not out to have his back. The problem is, as a reporter, I’ve seen her do this. She’ll bait a guy and then the guy gets trapped into saying things and he says them. It’s just foolish and stupid. We all understand it’s not productive. But what benefit was there to say that? And the reality is, why would he worry about a defensive player (Jalen Ramsey) not being traded for? And when he talks about checking down, sometimes the back you check down to is blocked. Or he’s blocking and then can’t get off the block. That’s one of your heckdowns. So the whole thing was just stupid. But it’s not being productive for somebody like that.

It goes on for a little bit more. Eskin notes that Jeffery was targeted 10 times last week, which makes you wonder what the problem is.

What’s also interesting is how Eskin operates as a member of the broadcast team. He’s down on the sidelines doing the radio updates, but then occasionally will drop a nugget like this, which you would think crosses some sort of boundary, but I guess it doesn’t. I don’t know how typical it is for somebody on a radio or television team to also report unique information, but he’s not a club employee, he’s a 94 WIP employee, and 94 WIP pays millions of dollars for the radio rights. It’s intriguing how all of that is sort of intertwined.

You can listen here around the 4:30 mark:

EDIT –

Anderson ripostes:

• Perry barse October 21, 2019 at 10:54 am

Was shocked when I was listening this AM but 👍 to the King.
    We have a seriously flawed,aging team here that needs to do a 180.

• fire angelo October 21, 2019 at 12:09 pm

really? it was already assumed that he was the leak, both last year and again this year….the King knows nothing, he is just a shill for the Eagles.

• Junod October 21, 2019 at 11:04 am

Alshon runs like he has swamp ass . He’s cooked and a rat 🐀

• I don’t get it... October 21, 2019 at 11:09 am

When Eskin is wrong about something, you guys crucify him. But we’re supposed to assume he’s right on this?

• Kk October 21, 2019 at 11:31 am

Correct.

See, I was in Dallas yesterday…but I wasn’t at the game.

Because I cover the team but don’t attend the games, practices, press conferences, etc.

So I listen to talk radio for Eagles content.

• Tom Montgomery October 21, 2019 at 11:12 am

Say what you want about Eskin, but the guy isn’t afraid to speak the truth and he always asks the questions that need to be asked. All the other reports loathe him but I’m starting to think they just jelly.

• The Program October 21, 2019 at 11:14 am

This team needs some gang bangers with speed at the receiver position

• Hon Ripple - The Hot Tub Skeleton October 21, 2019 at 11:15 am

I would like to know the anonymous source that told Mother about my love for Rebecca. I bet it was that Hipster Pete. That fat looking lesbian has always been trying to back door me.

-R.H.

• Bernie from broomall October 21, 2019 at 11:45 am

Huh

• Alex October 21, 2019 at 11:23 am

This team is like a dysfunctional division with weak leadership.

• King of all blacks October 21, 2019 at 11:36 am

Yo yo yo yo yo Howard.

• Innes' Failed Diet October 21, 2019 at 11:42 am

I am not saying Eskin isn’t correct, but like Spadaro, they don’t say anything that isn’t inline with the thinking of Eagles brass. For Eskin to say this you have to imagine that Eagles management either thinks this themselves or told Howard to say it. The first time Howard has an Eagles opinion that differs from management would be a first.

• Innes' Failed Diet October 21, 2019 at 11:44 am

*next time

• AL Tru October 21, 2019 at 11:46 am

One of my sources sez the rumor is ” Players showing up late and missing meetings; last years leadership is obviously missing”

• Ikes logic October 21, 2019 at 11:50 am

Josh Sweat is having a better season than Fletcher Co ck. Truth

• Howard and Laurie Goldstein October 21, 2019 at 12:12 pm

Eskin was suspended previously because he reported inaccurate facts about Mr. Sprague, whom I believe was Iverson’s attorney at the time.
    Josina – don’t end your statement with a preposition. Also, “whom” in that context. It should read, “he doesn’t know to whom I spoke.” Please, you are a pro and kids are reading; let’s get that right!

• Ronald Maggie October 21, 2019 at 12:54 pm

I don’t know why people pick on Howard so much. He’s the hardest working guy down there. He’s never afraid to ask the questions that need to be asked and he speaks the truth. I think all the other reporters are jealous of him.

• Billy Roper October 21, 2019 at 3:16 pm

He only asks tough questions of the Phillies, Flyers and Sixers–never of the Eagles. It’s almost like he’s one of the “tribe”.

• I believe Josina October 21, 2019 at 1:13 pm

Think about it. A reporter must protect their sources at all cost. If she didn’t protect the source then no one would speak to her again. So how exactly does the King know who it is. Now maybe Alshon has been complaining so it’s easy to deduce it’s him.

• Jeffrey isn't go anywhere this season and next October 21, 2019 at 1:39 pm

If you cut him next season he cost over $15 million against the cap. It would have to be a Steelers situation where the player is so divisive you take the hit. No way is Howie going to do that. So it’s either clear the air and apologize to the team or just live with it. This team has real problems because the drafts have been mediocre. It’s hard for the team to get younger. They don’t draft impact players. They have a lot of picks next draft with the comp picks. They better draft two pro-bowlers in the first and second round. The Jackson’s have to get healthy. DeSean also isn’t go anywhere. A healthy DeSean is great but if he can’t play that is $9 million against the cap in 2020. Same goes for Malik who carries a $10 million dollar number.