*This post is brought to you by Cynch, the new propane home delivery service. They deliver your grill tank right to your doorstep and take away your old tank for just $10 with the Crossing Broad promo code “ItsLit5”. Just enter your address, leave the tank on your porch/driveway, and Cynch will do the rest.*
Each year, NBA.com polls the league’s 30 general managers on a wide-ranging variety of topics.
The Sixers come into the 2019-2020 campaign with championship aspirations, but the GMs don’t seem to share the same enthusiasm as fans and media.
When asked to rank the top four teams in the Eastern Conference, 76% placed Milwaukee at the top while the Sixers only garnered 24% first place votes. In a question of which team will win the NBA finals, the rankings went like this:
- LA Clippers — 46%
- Milwaukee Bucks — 36%
- Los Angeles Lakers — 11%
Some more items of note:
- No Sixer received a vote predicting the MVP winner.
- GMs said they would build a new franchise around Giannis, Luka Doncic and Anthony Davis. Joel Embiid did not get any votes in this area.
- Best center in the NBA? Nikola Jokic was #1 with 48% of the vote while Embiid was #2 with 24%
- Josh Richardson got a vote for “most underrated player acquisition,” which GMs said was Mike Conley to Utah
- Embiid did not a get a vote for “best international player in the NBA”
- The Sixers received 7% of the vote (4th place) for “best defensive team in the NBA”
Embiid also didn’t get a sniff here:
Who is the best defensive player in the NBA?
- Kawhi Leonard, LA Clippers — 45%
- Rudy Gobert, Utah — 28%
- Draymond Green, Golden State — 10%
- Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee — 7%
- (tie) Paul George, LA Clippers — 7%
- Anthony Davis, LA Lakers — 3%
And didn’t come close to Gobert here:
Who is the best interior defender in the NBA?
- Rudy Gobert, Utah — 93%
Also receiving votes: Anthony Davis, L.A. Lakers; Joel Embiid, Philadelphia
That’s about it. Brett Brown’s name did not appear once in the entire article, nor did Ben Simmons.
More motivation? Maybe.