Cole Hamels Would “Love the Opportunity” To Return to the Phillies

Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports

The Phillies need pitching for 2020 and Cole Hamels is available, hitting free agency at age 35 for the first time in his career.

He spoke with MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki this week and said this about a possible Philadelphia reunion:

“I know Philly is finally trying to make that push,” Hamels told MLB.com this week. “They’re building their roster. If I fit on their roster and their plans, I’d love the opportunity to come back. It’s probably more on their end, though, to reach out and see if I actually do fit in their plans. It would be difficult for me to say, ‘Hey, I want to play there, can you guys make it happen?’ But I’m always willing to play for that team and city and attempt to win a World Series. That’s where I am right now. I just want to have the opportunity to get to the postseason, just so that I can try to win.”

Hamels goes on to say in the article that he’s open to signing a one-year deal to play for a title contender.

Last year Cole pitched 27 games, finishing with a 3.81 ERA while posting 1.1 HR/9 and 9.1 SO/9. He was much better in the first half of the season before he suffered a strained oblique, which saw his numbers drop off upon return to the roster.

But this seems like a no brainer to me. Cole Hamels on a one-year deal? Let’s sign him up. Then we’ll offer “stupid money” to Gerrit Cole and Stephen Strasburg and John Middleton can get his fucking trophy back.

Let’s go.

• Sick of Jeff from Camden calling both stations November 7, 2019 at 1:54 pm

The only Cole I want the Phillies to sign is Garrit Cole.Aroldis Chapman for the bullpen as well.

• Hextall's Glasses November 7, 2019 at 11:10 pm

No one gives a shit what you want

• bob November 7, 2019 at 2:08 pm

As a four or five on a 1 year 10 mill deal …I’d do it in a heartbeat.

• His Name Was Seth Rich November 7, 2019 at 2:11 pm

Howie Roseman is sprinting to sign him. Old, over the hill, over priced. Yep Howie wants him

• sd November 7, 2019 at 2:48 pm

hell jamie moyer was on the 08 team… i’d take cole as a 4/5 on a 1 yr deal for the right $

• eric ciaramelli -- whistleblower November 7, 2019 at 3:39 pm

They’d be fools not to sign him. He was pitching great before his injury. Even if he’s a 5, the leadership he’ll bring to the young staff would be worth it. And he can’t be worse then any of the slop they throw out there now

• Fact Checking Before Commenting Awesome Concept November 7, 2019 at 4:09 pm

How are you getting Chaoman sparky? Are you going to trade for a recently signed player? Why would the Yankees trade someone they just signed? Come on man.

• Joe Timbo November 8, 2019 at 9:08 am

Who is Chaoman? Fact checking before commenting is AN awesome concept.

• hard pass...unless November 7, 2019 at 5:11 pm

last time I saw Hamels, he was giving up like 10 runs in an inning and a third against a week hitting club like the Phillies. Now if they could somehow flip Arrieta for Hamels, then definitely. Then take that extra $20 million and hurl it towards a good FA SP like Cole. Strasburg, I don’t know…he opted out of an @ $100 million, so that would be a huge risk to sign him for upwards of $30 million/year. He’s been hurt a lot.