Bryce Harper Has a Pretty Interesting Plan For Baseball This Season

bryce harper plan
JONATHAN DYER-USA TODAY SPORTS

Phillies outfielder Bryce Harper shared a 2020 baseball season bedtime story with his Instagram followers late last night.

While he may be dreaming, I’m intrigued. Very intrigued.

After catching some heat for his public support of Rays pitcher Blake Snell, a man who wants to be paid his money, Harper laid out his own plan for resuming baseball this summer through the social media post.

Included in Harper’s plan is more games, a later finish, geography-based conference alignment, a round-robin playoff format, and delays to the 2021 and 2022 seasons. Of course, the plan would presumably yield greater financial returns for players, too.

The post:

View this post on Instagram

Baseball Season:⠀ Beyond the health and safety which comes first for all players, staff, workers, fans, and families. ⠀ ⠀ Just an idea I have been thinking about. ⠀ ⠀ East/West like NBA. ⠀ ⠀ July 31 days⠀ August 31 days ⠀ September 30 days ⠀ October 31 days ⠀ November 15 days ⠀ 135 games. ⠀ Off day every 2 weeks on a Monday and Sunday double header 7 innings. ⠀ ⠀ 30 players. 6 man rotation. Save arms. IF pitchers wanted this. If not no big deal. DH and any other ideas possible.⠀ ⠀ Playoffs ⠀ 2 week World Series. Like Super bowl week. ⠀ ⠀ 10 teams round robin format College World Series kinda style at the new Texas Stadium or whatever stadium/ stadiums are best. 3 game series. You win the series you move on. You lose you play the other loser in a 1 game wildcard. Winner of that moves on. Other team is out. ⠀ Or you could play it in Vegas so you have the Strip Hotels and could use one hotel for all the guys and contain possibly? ⠀ ⠀ 2 teams left 7 game World Series. They get 2 days off before the series. With those 2 days off you do a All Star Game and homerun derby. Could do the MLB awards as well at that time. ⠀ ⠀ Open this up on all platforms. No blackouts. Open it for everybody to watch. ⠀ Then you back up season the next 2 years. May 1st 2021. April 1st 2022. Maybe I’m crazy. Just fun to think about and throw around ideas🤪

A post shared by Bryce Harper (@bryceharper3) on

Among the key regular season details:

• The 135-game season will last 4 1/2 months.
  • Division play isn’t detailed, but an east/west conference alignment goes into effect.
  • Rosters will include 30 players and 6-man rotations (Sup, Spencer Howard?).
  • Games will be played for 13 straight days with 7-inning Sunday doubleheaders and off-days on every other Monday.

As for the postseason, Harper suggests a 10-team round robin format (similar to the College World Series) at a central location – Like AT&T Stadium or the Las Vegas strip. A seven-game neutral site World Series would conclude the season.

Finally, in order to create some balance from the exhaustive toll such a plan would take, Harper proposes a May 1 start to the 2021 season before a normal April 1 start in 2022.

Wow. Quite a lot to unpack here. Do I believe the owners will greatly deviate from their current plan? I don’t, but let’s dream with Bryce a little bit and run through it:

• Love getting more games in, though even with geographical-based conference alignments the travel situation would be a nightmare. Assuming the majority of regular season games are played at home ballparks (I believe most will be), repeated stretches of 13-game cycles with travel as part of the equation will take a toll. It would take next-level scheduling logistics to make such a schedule work.
  • I also love the idea of adding more games and delaying the postseason until November at a centralized location. Home crowds wouldn’t get to take in playoff baseball, but I doubt that’s happening anyway. Adding extra games to the schedule would not only beef up the legitimacy of the regular season, it would also, in theory, help ease the current financial duress (I use this word loosely) between the owners and MLBPA.
  • I’m a baseball traditionalist by nature, but I don’t see the one-year downside to his playoff proposal. It’s a difficult format, one that would produce a worthy champion.
  • In fact, one could argue that such a format would produce perhaps a more battle-tested champion than usual. And I will. A 135-game sprint, high-stakes playoff round robin elimination games and a seven-game series with no home-field advantage may create more chaos, but the team emerging from that gauntlet gets no asterisk from me.
  • Perhaps Harper’s best idea comes near the end of the proposal–get it on all platforms. Twitter, Twitch, YouTube, Instagram, Facebook. Get it on television, get it on social, immerse people in the game. Flood the zone. This is a unique and perhaps once-in-a-generation opportunity for baseball to welcome itself to a generation of sports fans it has failed to seduce.

2020 is screwed up. It’s time to part with the idea that we are going to see anything closely resembling normal baseball, hockey, and basketball seasons. You can still dream on the NFL, I guess.

Ultimately, do I think Harper’s plan (or any of part of it) is going to happen? I don’t. But I commend the guy for his creativity, even if some of the logistics (the Vegas strip, really?) are a little flimsy.

• Oh Please May 16, 2020 at 8:43 am

Enough with the hysteria-based fantasies and idiotic “risking my life, bro” hyperbole. Man up and play ball or go away and don’t play. When the checks completely stop, we’ll hear plenty of people who are willing to “risk their life”. Disgusting.

• Wip May 17, 2020 at 10:25 am

Once and For All week starts on Monday.

Time to pick sides.

** McNabb underrated or overrated?
      ** MVP of ’08 Phillies
      ** Was Sam Hinkie a good GM?
      ** Wentz or Foles
      ** Was Gabe Kapler a good manager?

Your pick for each?

• Not a fan May 16, 2020 at 8:48 am

Bryce is a bit of a punk. He will be hated in Philly long before his contract ends. Dbags don’t play well here.

Obviously trying to draw attention away from his entitled “pay me” stuff from 2 days ago. Typical conservative whining about how life isn’t fair these days.

Reminds me of Trump backpedaling from his “drink Clorox” suggestion. Or his follow my guidelines unless you don’t want to – then blame Democrats garbage.

A once proud Party has become what they always hated. Soft whiners.

And off he goes.

• Just the facts May 16, 2020 at 9:13 am

We shut down the country.
    Over 100,000 will die.
    Everybody has masks.
    Liberal hoax

Fauci, Clinton, Obama, Gates and the Chinese planned this.
    They are all stupid to think we don’t know.
    They are all super genius villains at the same time.
    They wanted to ruin the economy and kill people.
    Liberal conspiracy.

The hoax is a conspiracy that didn’t work but it worked.

Just the facts.

• Koo koo May 16, 2020 at 10:20 am

I’m sorry. But nobody needs an AR15. They are modern weapons of war. Dumb rednecks are not at war. You don’t need automatic rifles that can shoot 30 bullets at a time. The second amendment says you can have a musket, that’s it.

• Joe the plumber May 16, 2020 at 10:23 am

Yea, you’re right. Lol. Modern? It was designed in 1955. Automatic guns have been illegal since 1939. So you’re ok with some psycho shooting 15 people but not 30? Makes sense. I totally understand why you support Joe Biden. Lol. Good luck kid.

• Broke joe May 16, 2020 at 10:26 am

Ah yea, that’s 15 less people! 🤣🤣🤣 is this guy serious? And you’re wrong , the letters AR stand for automatic rifle! Why do you need a gun to feel manly? You people are truly disgusting. I can’t wait for Biden to bring back sanity. ☹️☹️☹️ Enjoy you’re fake ranch and cheap atv. Idiot.

• Rueben Amaro Jr May 17, 2020 at 11:58 am

AR stands for ArmaLite, the firm who developed the rifle back in 1955. And it’s ‘your fake ranch’. Love the ironic ending to your well-informed post.

• Globe troller May 17, 2020 at 1:30 pm

You’re right Broke Joe….I’ll make sure my AR gets the 50 mm heat-seeking bullets to put in the clip, along with the chainsaw style bayonet just for good measure.

Please do us all a favor… if you’re going to condemn Firearms at least have some semblance of an non laughable position before you speak.

• lol May 17, 2020 at 2:48 pm

Dude posted to himself 5 times in a row. Absolutely nuts. Lol
            He argues with himself to feel like he won an argument.

What a life. Idiot.

• Otto Carius May 18, 2020 at 7:18 am

Using your logic then the 1st amendment says you may only spread your views with a printing press.

• Off he goes May 16, 2020 at 11:00 am

Lol

Always entertaining. What a life.

• Joe the Plumber May 16, 2020 at 11:57 am

Yea, here we go. Talkin American freedom. Love it or leave it!

• Where/when did you serve? May 16, 2020 at 1:05 pm

No your place, skirt.

I served. You hit refresh and posted nonsense.

No brain. No sac. No service. No nothing.

• Gavin May 16, 2020 at 12:03 pm

I’d like to welcome the 3,000,000 new NRA members from California. Enjoy your freedom !

• Off he goes May 16, 2020 at 12:10 pm

I am pro 2nd amendment. Where did you confuse yourself while posting to yourself? Koo koo. Lol.

What a life.

Have fun posting to yourself. Put that window unit it. Lol.

• mickey mannequin May 16, 2020 at 2:14 pm

warms my heart to see how many people have stolen names i’ve come up with over the years. Also what’s up with this guy replying to himself constantly? A lot of sick people out there.

• Mickey Morandini May 16, 2020 at 5:20 pm

He sucks

• Jack Ruby May 16, 2020 at 6:43 pm

How’s your labrum, douche?

• Lol May 16, 2020 at 7:12 pm

That’s broke Joe. He is slow and angry. A complete failure.

He is hitting refresh right now.

• Eugene May 16, 2020 at 8:15 pm

Don’t know any real vets that don’t support the second amendment.
    Trump 2020

• Typing slow May 17, 2020 at 6:09 am

I support the Second Amendment. I do not support the money grabbing, paranoid, illogical N R A.

If you think – both are possible.

I have no fear the Government will ever be knocking on my door asking for my weapons. I can hunt and protect my family if needed.

It’s a lot like your union. “Give is your money and repeat what we say”.

If you prefer to live in fear of the government and an assault on your home, fo for it.

• Joe the plumber May 17, 2020 at 8:11 am

Repeal the NFA now!

• Lol May 17, 2020 at 8:32 am

Paranoia big destroyer.

Uneducated.

• Harv May 17, 2020 at 8:43 am

What part of “shall not be infringed “ don’t you understand?

Repeal NFA now!

• Lol May 17, 2020 at 9:13 am

Look up infringed. Stop repeating and try to learn something.

• Michael Jack Schmidt May 17, 2020 at 12:20 pm

Agreed Bryce is a major punk. His mom is kind of cute though. Has nothing on Cameron Rupp’s milf mom though

• Joe the plumber May 17, 2020 at 4:29 pm

Just finished my barn gym , 1,500 sq ft. All Legend fitness equipment. Today was leg day. Squatted 225 10x 7x. Not bad for an old guy. Life is good. Now I’m enjoying some Don Julio 1942. No boss. No debt. No college. Eat your heart out college boy.

• Harv May 17, 2020 at 4:37 pm

Joe the Plumber is king! Legend equipment is top tier! College is such a joke nowadays!

• United States marine May 17, 2020 at 4:46 pm

The second amendment is non negotiable. How does magazine capacity matter ? The left calls the NRA a terrorist group. Biden wants to take your modern sporting rifle. Fuck the left. I will not comply!

• Gary May 17, 2020 at 5:03 pm

Thank you for your service. Hell yea!

• Lol May 17, 2020 at 4:59 pm

Koo koo.

Broke loser. Paranoid. Uneducated. Nuts. Lol

• Juan the Landscaper May 17, 2020 at 6:31 pm

I have just had hotdogs and beans with wife and six children. I think I have hernia the pain is do bad. I’m sitting on peekaneek table listening to the bug zapper. We are all very sad. Maybe tonight I will die on my sleep.

• Joe the Plumber May 17, 2020 at 8:43 pm

You served and you’re voting for Biden? I don’t think so pal. I served, green berets, operation desert storm. Air Force don’t count buddy. Take your GI bill and cry me a river.

• Harv May 18, 2020 at 5:16 am

Joe is the man! Awesome Joe. Yea man! Trump 2020

Hey Joe – trying to help. When you lie about serving, you always say you were a Marine. Remember you “won” Purple Hearts? Now you say you were a Green Beret. Green Berets are Army Special Forces.
      This is as embarrassing as when you can’t remember where your fake home is. You aren’t smart enough to lie. The drinking doesn’t help.
      Hey Joe – he has never said one positive word about Biden.

Joe is the man! I can’t wait for .38 Special to play at your birthday.

• Big dom off the blue route May 18, 2020 at 6:04 am

Thank you for your service Joe. You are king !

• cant say that i really am May 18, 2020 at 8:04 am

is anyone genuinely missing sports?

• Missing Dave Brown May 18, 2020 at 8:26 am

To some extent I miss the NHL but I really only watch the playoffs when the play gets physical again. I miss the hockey of the 80s and 90s.

I would miss the NFL if it couldn’t resume though I’m hardly a football fanatic.

As far as MLB, Bryce Harper can go to hell and the rest of the players go with him. Regarding the NBA – it’s been a very long time since I found pro basketball interesting. I used to enjoy pro basketball and I coach it on the high-school level, but I don’t like what the pro game has become. The stupid “Process” was the final nail in the coffin for me. Just my opinion.

• Ron Bowman May 18, 2020 at 10:04 am

Bob orders pizza and sprays it with Lysol. What an idiot.