The Phillies announced their starting pitching plans for a four-game set that includes a Friday doubleheader with the Miami Marlins.
- Friday (Game 1): Matt Moore
- Friday (Game 2): Zach Eflin
- Saturday (Game 3): Vince Velasquez
- Sunday (Game 4): Zack Wheeler
Two quick thoughts:
- Noticeably absent above is the name of Aaron Nola, who was placed on the COVID-related IL last Sunday. There has not been any further update on his status.
- Interesting to see the Phillies roll with Moore and Velasquez on back-to-back days. If both stay in the rotation beyond this month (which I wouldn’t bank on), those two will eventually have to be split up. Moore has been better since his return, allowing just four earned runs over 12 1/3 innings, but he has not pitched beyond the fifth inning in any of his three starts. Meanwhile, Velasquez has lasted more than five innings in just two of his last eight starts. With the Phillies coming off a four-day break and another off day looming Monday, Joe Girardi and his staff must figure the bullpen will be well-rested enough to hold up should both pitchers turn in short outings.