Three things immediately came into my head after hearing that Jordan Matthews was at the NovaCare Complex today:
- He’s only 26 years old.
- He has familiarity with Carson Wentz.
- He caught 16 touchdowns in his first two seasons with the Eagles and was productive in the not-so-distant past.
All positive stuff there, those knee-jerk mental reactions.
However, the next things that I considered were this:
- He’s a slot receiver and plays the same position as Nelson Agholor, who is coming off a career year.
- He didn’t do well in Buffalo last year, dealt with a knee issue, and was released by the Patriots with an injury settlement (hamstring) this summer.
- He’s had some drop issues in the past.
Three positives and three negatives, but when you add all of it up, it does make some sense moving forward. You plug the gap with a guy who knows your system and knows your head coach and quarterback, a guy who comes cheap and doesn’t bring baggage or bullshit with him.