Doug Pederson and Carson Wentz spoke to the media this morning before OTAs got underway. Practice is inside today due to the crappy weather.
Some of the more relevant notes, starting with Doug:
- Darren Sproles and Michael Bennett are the only two players not present. Pederson says he’s been in communication with both. “Two guys I don’t have a lot of concern as far as their ability to help us. They’re veterans and know how to get themselves going.” Bennett’s absence has nothing to do with legal issues. No concern getting him acclimated to the defense, says he’s been around long enough to understand Jim Schwartz’s system and expects him to be at OTAs eventually.
- Pederson pointed out that the Eagles have had a month less to recover from the season due to their Super Bowl success
- Not much of an update on Brandon Graham, who is in a cast – “hopefully we get him back before too long”
- Sidney Jones is “definitely in the mix” for a starting job. Dallas game last year boosted his confidence and he now has a full offseason to work.
- Doesn’t see Wentz as being on the “outside and looking in” due to his injury. Says hes very much involved in the day to day things around NovaCare, just not involved in practices. His throwing, the videos he posts, that’s part of his rehab and conditioning process and not part of anything he’s been cleared to do in a “practice setting.”
- No “big message” for the assembled team right now, sees OTAs as a time to get back into football. Doesn’t need to see a ton of work out of the veterans, but wants them to be ready for training camp.
- White House: June 5th is the day, team will go, “excited to go,” it’s a “great honor.” Still working through logistics right now. It’s an individual basis for players who want to go and don’t want to go. “It’s an individual decision.”
- On bringing back free agent Corey Graham: “If it works out, we’d love to have him.”
- Wants to a bit more of Nate Sudfeld and Joe Callahan with the offense this summer
- “Always antsy this time of the year,” has to be careful not to push his rehab now that teammates are out at OTAs and practicing
- says he’ll be involved in a “handful of things” at OTAs, but hasn’t been cleared for everything yet
- On Dallas Goedert – an offensive weapon, I got to see him in college beat up on us a couple of times, heck of a player, heck of a talent, will be fun to see him out at OTAs, see where we can mix him into our packages
- On the White House visit:
Carson Wentz on visiting the White House: pic.twitter.com/heHV2tasfi
— Zach Berman (@ZBerm) May 22, 2018