Happy New Year… welcome back to reality. Rough commute this morning– it was a long haul down the stairs, which were treacherously cold thanks to the draft coming through the front door. I would hate to have to leave my house in this frigid weather.
Good, now that you sufficiently hate me, we can get straight to the Roundup. Today’s version is a mega-stuffed, nearly two-week-long recap of the Winter Classic and everything else you may have missed while drinking Egg Nog and eating pies, cannoli and strudels.
But first, a word from our sponsors:
– Beer. Relaxing. Haircuts. That’s American Male, a full-service salon for guys in Center City, Berwyn and Reading that has been helping men look their best for over 12 years. Visit AmericanMale.com or call 877-636-4247 to schedule an appointment. Oh, better yet– mention Crossing Broad and get $10 off!
– You probably love deal-of-day type sites, but they often have offers that apply to exactly no one, or 72-year-old women. SportFitDeal is changing that. They are a locally-based service bringing you local sports and fitness deals. A must-click opt-in service… that is giving away Flyers playoff tickets, just enter your email for a chance to win.
– The holidays are over, but you can eat and drink like they aren’t. Drinker’s Philadelphia offers $1 hot dogs during all Flyers games and $3 Jagr shots all-day, every day. Click here for locations.
– Bob may very well be the starting goalie again. Philly Phaithful has t-shirts. Bob Says Nyet! Get one… or another fine shirt from our friendly partners.
– Joe Montana is signing autographs on Monday, January 23 at the BC Sports in the King of Prussia Mall. Details and tickets are right here.
– Photo galleries– NBC Philadelphia, Getty, Flyers
– Briere’s penalty shot against Henrik Lundqvist from Net Cam.
– Ed Snider is fine with Ilya Bryzgalov being nuts.
– The Winter Classic flyover. Warning: you have to deal with Patti Labiaelle for a few seconds.
– Fucking Pat Sajak and Ashleeeee Simpson were at the game.
– Pictures of girls in their underwear holding the mask Bryz was supposed to wear in the Winter Classic.
– The Flyers didn’t appreciate Mike Rupp’s salute.
– John Tortorella posits conspiracy theory… even though he won.
Roy Halladay and Chris Carpenter
– Yes, Virginia, we did know about Roy Halladay rescuing a naked man who had been bitten by an anaconda in the Amazon. In fact, we were one of the first places to post it. No less than half a dozen people have sent this to me over the past few days. Must-read story from Friday.
– Our Top Ten Philly Sports Moments of 2011.
– This is the Thermos crazy Bryz was drinking out of yesterday while he sat on the bench.
– Claude Giroux’s sister got engaged at Citizens Bank Park. Claude told his future brother-in-law to “grow some balls and just do it.” Boom– Niked.
– Ilya Bryzgalov’s crazy press conference in which he told reporters that Bob would be starting the Winter Classic.
– Lindros and Clarke interviewed together.
– Video of Peter Laviolette telling Steve Ott to go fuck himself.
– Lou Williams treated a would-be robber to McDonald’s on Christmas Eve, so he says.
– Rick Tocchet was arrested over the holidays. He failed to declare $18k in the Bahamas. He does have a history of gambling…
– Yahoo! Sports' Puck Daddy named us the "Best Investigative Blog" of 2011.
– The Sixers continue to form the greatest show on the hardwood. They hired the makers of the Madden 12 intro to create videos for the team this season. Awesome! Now how about an elite player?
– There is a serial bank robber in Philadelphia, and he wears Phillies hats.
– Bryce Harper continues to be a douche. He named his new – cute – puppy Swag.
– The Marlins would like to host the Winter Classic. Really.
– An interview with the subject of our number one Philly sports moment of 2011, Mike Richards.
John Miller writes about the top five things that went wrong with the Eagles, who will hold a press conference today at 2:30. That should be fun.
Happy 2012, folks. We’re back in-full to being the best sports blog in the city. And you, the best readers.