The original title of this story was “Not Great,” and that’s still probably the biggest takeaway from last night. That performance was… not great.
But I went with”Nate Studfeld” instead because I want to be positive as we head into a summer weekend. I didn’t want to start off your Friday morning with some ridiculous shit take like this one:
You’re right, Angelo, it’s disgraceful.
Anyway, Nick Foles did not have it last night. He hurt his shoulder on – ironically – a strip sack against the Patriots. He says he’s fine but you never know with this team. A laundry list of players were inactive and/or injured last night and didn’t sniff the field.
Carson Wentz, Alshon Jeffery, Jason Peters, Brandon Graham, Jalen Mills, Darren Sproles, Mack Hollins, Nelson Agholor, Chris Maragos, Donnel Pumphrey, Asantay Brown, Tim Jernigan, Markus Wheaton, Josh Adams
Add Foles, Bryce Treggs, Kamar Aiken, and Richard Rodgers to the list, four guys who left the game with various new injuries.
RE: the shoulder, here’s what Foles had to say about it:
“I was getting ready to throw a deep ball and it got grabbed as I was following on through, so it sort of got a little strained,” Foles told reporters after the game. “So, you know, I was with the trainers, I’ll go in tomorrow and get treatment on it and sort of go from there. But it feels all right, feels pretty good. Hopefully, there are no issues.”
Yeah, hopefully there are no issues, because Carson Wentz is already on the shelf and hasn’t done an 11v11 drill this entire summer. We’re less than three weeks from the season opener. Anybody getting just a little bit worried?
The positive is that Nate Sudfeld looks like a player, which I’ll get to momentarily, but first some random notes that didn’t fit into the other sections:
- Kamu Grugier-Hill played WILL with the 1st team defense
- Rasul Douglas started at CB in place of Mills and Sidney Jones began in the slot. In the second half, Jones played on the outside a bit with Avonte Maddox in the slot. Jones whiffed badly on a flat pass that the Pats took in for a touchdown:
- Matt Jones made his preseason debut in the second half and dropped three passes, including one that hit him in the helmet and bounced into the hands of a New England player. Yeah, the ball was a bit high and behind him, but he’s gotta find a way to adjust and at least make an effort on that play.
- Big V – not a great night at left tackle
- Ronald Darby could/should have had two picks on the same drive (well the first would have ended the drive, but you get the point), great coverage downfield though
- Steven Means should be on somebody’s 53-man roster
- Rashard Davis lost 11 yards on a punt return. Appreciate him trying to make something happen, but yeah. He returned the next punt for -3 yards. The gunners helped him out on a much better 4th quarter return.
- Michael Bennett’s shoulder pads make me laugh for whatever reason
- Jake Elliott missed another extra point
- I didn’t get a great look at the offensive and defense lines other than seeing Big V’s big troubles. The O-line didn’t get much goal line push on several Wendell Smallwood runs and gave up five first half sacks.
- Godspeed to the Pats corner that committed three first-half penalties. I’m surprised hoodie didn’t cut him at halftime.