Kyle Scott —  November 6, 2012 — 18 Comments

Screen Shot 2012-11-06 at 12.02.25 PMThis picture I found on Google Images was just too perfect

Tip of the ol’ (1950s-style Phillies throwback) cap to Chris Creamer of SportsLogos.net for this find.

Yesterday, I spoke with Reading Phillies GM Scott Hunsicker, who, on Sunday, announced that the team will unveil a new name, logo and uniforms on November 17. He was mum on the name, saying only that the rebranding effort will pay homage to Reading’s 46-year affiliation with the Phillies, the longest in baseball.

But perhaps waiting two weeks to make the announcement was a mistake.

Today, Creamer, on SportsLogos.net, discovered three domain names that were recently registered by the Reading Phillies: FightinsBaseball.com, ReadingFightins.com, ReadingFightinBaseball.com.

The Fightins.

I spot-checked the first two on who.is, a domain registration search tool. They were both blocked by a domain proxy (a third-party that hides ownership information of domain names). So, I emailed Creamer to see how he reached his conclusion. Here’s what he told me:

Looks like they may have updated two of their domain registrations to
make it private. Regardless, Google still has the old ownership records
cached and you can see it by performing the following search in Google: "reading phillies" site:whois.domaintools.com. This will give you a list of every domain that contains "Reading
Phillies" in its registration information.

A quick look through the
list and you'll see the "Fightins" domains are registered by the team.

Also, as of this email, the "ReadingFightinPhillies.com" domain is
still showing their ownership information: http://www.whois.com/whois/readingfightinphillies.com.

Creamer also sent along this handy screenshot to demonstrate:

Screen Shot 2012-11-06 at 11.48.10 AM

I reached out to Reading Phillies Director of Public Relations Eric Scarcella for comment. He offered the following response: The Reading Phillies refuse to comment on any speculation on what the franchise’s new name will be. We encourage fans in Baseballtown to come out on November 17th to find out the details on our new name, logo, and uniforms.

Now, it’s very cheap to register a domain name (like $10), and you’ll notice that these were created in August. Hunsicker told me that the team has been working on the rebranding effort for quite some time. So, it’s entirely possible they bought domain names for many team name candidates.

Possible, but not likely.

Fightins would make sense. It pays homage to the Phillies (and their history), while distinguishing the team in Reading from the big club. I don’t hate the name, though I was expecting something a bit more modern. But I’ll withhold judgement until the official announcement.

Your thoughts?

Check out Creamer's post on SportsLogos.net.

Kyle Scott

Posts Twitter Facebook Google+

Editor

18 responses to The Reading Phillies Registered Three Domain Names Containing “Fightins” in August

1. Chance- Vice President of the GnA Falcons November 6, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Violation question-
    I ran out of TP sat night & used a phils ralley towel to wipe my ass, is that a violation???

2. Much like the Lakeland Flying TIgers….

3. I only clicked on this hoping to see more tits

4. stupid name. stupider than R-Phils.
    one bad series they’ll be called the Frightens
    in fact that’s what they’ll be called anyway.
    bad name

5. Trouble from the Oak November 6, 2012 at 1:38 pm

97.5 might set a record today for commericals.
    Disgrace

6. Candy from the Oak November 6, 2012 at 1:39 pm

:$

7. hatin ass ninja November 6, 2012 at 1:49 pm

More Court Vick please!

8. Chance- Vice President of the GnA Falcons November 6, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I miss the fightins blog

9. Terrible idea, and the locals are pretty upset.

10. More pics of ginger hottie please

11. Chance
    the fightins took issue with me when i started using the same ticket service they did, not selling phillies tickets at that point, mind you. meech pitched a fit saying i should have “asked him” to use that service (which about 10 other blogs all use now) and that was the start of the issue. they went out of business because meech is too busy to keep the site running and, im guessing, couldn’t figure out a way to make enough money from it.
    last month, i wrote something criticizing one of their guys, ryan, who faked a jon heyman account on twitter then made fun of all the media folks who picked up on it. that basically sent all the fightins guys over the edge and they troll on me on twitter every chance they get. often will say i make **** up, steal stuff from the 700 level, generally call me out on everything i do.
    nothing to defend, that’s the deal with the site and the fightins. i work my ass off with the site and turned it into a full-time gig and opened a bunch of doors for myself in the process. got a lot of help along the way from 97.5, 610, nbc, fox etc who have all mentioned us.

12. sure sounds better than the Iron Pigs – which, believe it or not, was chosen as part of a contest
    I’ve been to both parks
    I rate Reading Phils 9 of 10
    Iron Pigs 3 of 10
    if it’s $5 at CBP, it’s $4 at the Pig Pen and $1.25 at Reading

13. Chance- Vice President of the GnA Falcons November 6, 2012 at 5:08 pm

That fightins reply makes me giggle Everytime

14. I like it, and really that’s all that matters.

15. MOUNTAINS OF WAFFLES November 6, 2012 at 7:28 pm

kyle you should work for the CIA

16. Birth mark on the ginger freaks me out a little.

17. Howdy! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established blog.
    Is it tough to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I’m thinking about making my
    own but I’m not sure where to start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Thank you