Report: The Phillies Offered Josh Hamilton Three Years, $80 Million

This afternoon on WIP, Anthony Gargano reported that the Phillies offered Josh Hamilton a deal for around three years, $80 million. That would be in-line with other offers to Hamilton (there were reports that the Mariners had offered three years, $60-$75 million).

This is the first indication – from anywhere – that the Phils have offered Hamilton anything. As I wrote in the running commentary, if Hamilton’s going rate really is $75 million or so, then Rube needs to offer 80, or whatever it takes, because this is all, like, less than half of what Hamilton was originally expecting.

I'm assuming, however, that the Rangers will be given a chance to match any offer to Hamilton, especially since they missed out on Zack Greinke and the crazy money he got.

There’s also this, from Glen Macnow, Gargano’s partner in the afternoon:

We can debate CBP being more of a hitters park than the Ballpark in Arlington, but whatevs. This makes me all hot (and a little bit bothered) this holiday season. Do it, Rube.

Jon Heyman reports that the Phillies talked to the Cubs about a Dom Brown for Alfonso Soriano swap. He says Hamilton may be a tough fit for the Phillies.

1. Sign my nigga Hammy, he good he good.

2. what a surprise! rube tells fans that we aren’t getting hamilton, and voila, an incredibly high offer to hamilton. brilliant, rube.

3. A year ago Hamilton was some washed up drunk/cokehead that nobody really wanted. Now he’s worth 25+ a year because he slapped a couple bombs?

4. apparently not that tough of a fit jon heyman if they offered him that contract.

5. If this is true, can we keep him away from Kensington Avenue for three years?

6. @Justin Baldwin, it doesnt matter what he wants, the market ultimately dictates it and right no one wants to offer him more than 3 years, maybe a 4th year option, and clearly the phillies will be in the running as long as it’s that length, the money doesnt matter, it’s the length of time that always bothers the phillies. if its in 3-4 range, they’ll be willing to play ball.

7. I love how it has yet to be reported anywhere else but WIP. Those guys are hacks who have no reliable sources.

8. Christina Lurie's Left Tit

December 11, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I’ll be happy to be a good ambassador for the city to Joshie!

9. First of all, Arlington is a MUCH better hitters park than CBP. CBP is neutral now. Ask Cliff Lee…
    Also, what do you mean Greinke’s contract is ridiculous? He got a few more million than Hamels on the open market and is slightly better than Hamels.

10. Phil,
    Greinke’s contract is beyond ridiculous. He has a career 3.77 ERA with a 1.25 WHIP. He had 1 great year, which is an obvious outlier, but if you take that away his ERA is at least 3.90+. For him to get that contract is worse than Howards, Pujols, and ARod’s contract put together because at least they had great years…plural, not singular.

11. Are the drugs better in Arlington or Philly?

12. Look at his peripheral stats. Greinke has suffered from horrible defense and bad luck. He’s been about as good as Hamels for his entire career. Factor in his ridiculous 2009 season and it puts him over the edge. ERA doesn’t mean $hit. Look at a stat like xFIP, SIERA, and tERA. There are so many variables out of a pitchers control. When you factor all of that in, they look a lot more similar. Greinke was also a free agent which benefited him, and he was a free agent when the Dodgers are looking to buy the world. Locking up Ethier was really bad for Hamilton because they would have signed him for a lot.

13. STFU Phil & Glenn & Anthony

December 11, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Phil – WHAT?
    This report is bogus – 610 sucks & nobody else is reporting this. Those two dopes are just throwing shit against the wall & hoping it sticks.

14. Oh, sorry I’m not some homer that can take an objective look at stats that aren’t ERA.

15. STFU Phil & Glenn & Anthony

December 11, 2012 at 7:02 pm

WHAT?

16. fangraphs.com Maybe you’ll learn something. Stop yelling, are you angry because I said Greinke is slightly better than Hamels. Call that whambulance, internet tough guy.

17. Would you like me to explain xFIP, SIERA, and tERA?

18. Phil, u mad bro?

19. This is exactly why I don’t read this site. Typical unintelligent Philadelphia sports fans on a poorly run blog that only writes things that are humorous or untrue.

20. Phillip, dinner is ready! Get off the computer & come upstairs to eat. :-)

21. TRUTH BEING SPIT ALL OVER THE PLACE!
    @RealKyleScott is also reporting that THIS IS THE ILLEST BLOG IN PHILLY!

22. I’d rather have Hamels

23. 610SucksTheBigOne

December 11, 2012 at 7:26 pm

This has no truth to it. Anthony Gargano is a fugly marble mouthed moron.
    The dude is always wrong.. Aside from Michael Barkann… 610 flat out sucks.
    Horrible radio. Angelo Cataldi is a joke. Rhea Hughes the horse is a joke. Al is ok…
    Anyways back on topic… Gargano has no sources.. Everyone is his “cuzzzzzzz” so maybe one if his “cuzzzzzzzzzzes” made a statement it a made up story that the phillies made that offer and Anthony believed it?

24. SHOW ME THE MONEY!

25. Hey Kyle,
    I think that @RealJesusChrist has some solid rumors you can report as well

26. dont really care for the fact that this has yet to be picked up. Gargano and Macknow better hope it is otherwise they’re gonna get torched and rightfully so.

27. Duh Cuz is the new Eskin with these inside rumors that dont come true.
    1. ” I’m hearing The Phils have a better than 50% of signing Torii Hunter” A couple hours later Hunter signs with Detroit. The Phillies never had a chance.
    2. ” Im hearingthe Phils are real close with Angel Pagan.” Haha a 1/2 hour later Pagan signs with SF.
    3. ” Im hearing Phils offered Josh Hamiltpn” blah blah blah.
    Fool me once shame on you Fool me twice shame on me.

28. angelo whurr u at. dey will get granderson instead of this hamiltown and all da white honey in philly will wear 14 granderson tshirt

29. People still listen to WIP?

December 11, 2012 at 7:45 pm

The real jayson stark just tweeted – “I’ve looked into this 50 times. Can’t find any evidence the #Phillies have seriously pursued Josh Hamilton.”

30. Candy from the Oak

December 11, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I’m taking Hamilton in my Philly 2013 death pool , sorry Bolaris

31. Glen also reported hockey was coming back from his inside source…

32. The Real Dutch is reporting

December 11, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Who cares man – world is over in t-minus 10 days man
    Yeah man 12/21/2012

33. The Hamilton druggie jokes are so old and played out. Your better than that Philly!

34. Please josh, sign the deal. I want that big tattooed penis to rip my asshole apart

35. Sign that drug addict murderer & let’s take back the fucking NL east

36. no glenn macnow doesn’t have a twitter account. this is all fake.

37. Christina Lurie's Twat

December 11, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Joshy makes me moist

38. Gargano exaggerates everything he says. All the guy ever done is talk to Charlie Manuel a few times on the show during the season and he acts like they’re best friends and talk every day. Also, he never mentions how he even knows these “sources” or why they’d release info like this to an afternoon radio host on a dying station…literally dying since they’ve done nothing to attract younger listeners besides moving to FM which was 20 years too late. The only reason I ever listen to these guys is because 97.5 is retarded by continuing to promote that retard Baldinger during peak lunchtime listening hours. Take everything these radio guys report with a huge helping of salt.

39. Beyond all the childish carping over who delivered the message and if it’s accurate or not, this report doesn’t sit well with me, mainly because of Hamilton’s baggage. Giving him $25 million or more a year is a staggering amount of money for a guy who’s one South Street binge away from being suspended.

40. Rhea Hughes' Veal Cutlets

December 11, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Clarkie’s sources tell me that Josh Hamilton will sign with the Fightin’s for 2 years at $40 million, with an eight-ball kicked in.

41. Phil,
    Seriously? All of those specific statistics that you pointed out are relatively in favor of Hamels and that’s including Hamels bad outlier of 2009 and Greinke’s good outlier of 2009. Take those years out to create a more accepting median and it’s strongly in favor of Hamels.

42. Chance- Vice President of the GnA Falcons

December 11, 2012 at 10:22 pm

As someone who had a drug problem, I can tell you josh has a body of a 41 yr old.

43. Hamels has slightly better peripherals and is a lefty so I’d say he’s more valuable than Greinke. I’d still take Greinke on my team though. Re: Hamilton. I’d rather them get a cheaper corner OF and also get a solid 4th starter than spend it all on Hamilton.

44. @KMC even if they get Hamilton they will get a solid 4th starter. there’s enough of them out there that can be had for reasonable money.

45. I would love to do a few lines with Josh and get some hookers

46. I like to have my asshole ripped open and bleeding, especially by crackheads. The only thing that would make me want Hamilton to anally rape more is if he were black.

47. alright Kyle delete this post already, this is a bullshit rumor, gargano and macknow are gonna have some explaining to do tomorrow.

48. William, I’ll buy you and Hamilton an 8 ball if you double stuff my disgusting cunt

49. OK we find ourselves in a confusing situation, a conundrum if you will.
    We Have Duh Cuz who is never right saying the Phillies have a 3 yr $80 M offer out for Hamilton. Then we have Howard “half wolf/half Jew” Eskin who is also never right saying that the Phillies and Josh Hamilton talk is complete nonsense.
    So which clown is going to be correct?

50. I agree that Gargano sucks, but Glenn Macnow is actually very good. I think he’s an intelligent, personable guy, unlike that cunt Rhea Hughes. And I prefer WIP over 97.5. Mike Miss is a total twat douchebag.

51. Arlington has always been a better hitters’ ballpark than CBP. I am tired of people saying otherwise. Uuuugh! The numbers don’t lie. Anyway, sign ‘em up!!!!!

52. 610SucksTheBigOne

December 12, 2012 at 6:04 am

I refuse to go to Primo Hoagies any more because Gargano does the commercials. When he did the commercial his lisp spit flew all over the meat. I don’t want to eat another guys spit. Back on topic… MLBTRADERUMORS.COM says nothing about this supposed offer!!!!!!! And even Jayson stark says he looked into this and found NOTHING!!!!! I don’t think jayson stark is all that great anymore, but I value his opinion 1,000,000,000 times over The Lisping Marble Mouth Wet Lipped Acts Like He Knows Inside Sources Asshole Anthony Gargano… Btw 610 never mentioned the word Phillies until they had this nice run recently… It was pretty much just an Eagles talk station.. Fuck you 610… 610s slogan should be “Talking Phillies since 2007 (when they overtook the mets)” even so they really didn’t talk about em much til 2008… Anyways fuck 610. Fuck Gargano. Fuck ugly Rhea Hughes. Fuck (I can’t believe I even have to say his name) Angelo “worst host annoying voice ever ” Cataldi. And fuck that Burger King Jew who got that poor woman killed Howsrd Eskin.

53. Macnow loves his meals

54. 610sucks guy must work for 97.5. Guy is passionate about his hate

55. Claude Giroux's Surprisingly Un-toned Abdomen

December 12, 2012 at 7:00 am

Macnow is the same guy who said last week that “the T’s were crossed and the I’s were dotted” for the new NHL contract.

56. 610SucksTheBigOne

December 12, 2012 at 7:22 am

No, I actually listen to my Sirius radio.. If anything I’d like to work for mlb network radio. I just can not stand 610. I do hate then with a passion. Can you tell?

57. I hope the NHL never comes back

December 12, 2012 at 7:47 am

@610SucksTheBigOne – I agree

58. WIP4Life

59. Hey 610sucksthebigone…or should I say Mike PissAndSmelli…when Hamilton gets to town im going to steal some of his heroin and inject it directly into your horrendous looking, filthy, stinkiing 1 inch erection and make you penetrate RHEA HUGHES in the anus with the empty needle. Fuck me in the rectal cavity why don’t you?

60. Candy from the Oak

December 12, 2012 at 8:41 am

On a plus side his wife looks like she was born and raised in Delco

61. I hope the NHL never comes back

December 12, 2012 at 8:42 am

both stations blow

62. kyle scott's spacebar

December 12, 2012 at 8:47 am

wip is horrible

63. kyle scott's spacebar

December 12, 2012 at 8:48 am

and their morning show is unlistenable. Mainly because of that cataldi

64. Can we all agree that Al Morganti is cool?

65. 610SucksTheBigOne

December 12, 2012 at 10:50 am

Cataldi, go for it. Also this is not Mikey piss and smell its 610WIPSucksTheBigOne. My penis will shrivel inside my abdomen if Rhea Hughes comes near it. Even tho you’re not the real Cataldii just want to say I’m glad you joined up and made a response. You suck. I hate you. Your whole station sucks. And It would be nice if Hamilton came here, but the Phillies won’t surpass the luxury tax. They have approx. 20 mil to spend. I hope he does. I do. But I do not see it happening. But if he does go for it with the injection.. You can try.. But I’ll break you in half and feed you to that horse looking dog Rhea Hughes before you even get near me. Fuck you, you ET looking mother fucker.

66. Numbnutz who cares about going over the luxury tax? You realize that if you go over the luxury by $10 M you are taxed a penalty of $2 M.
    That $2 M is meaningless compared to the upcoming TV contract that is going to pay Monty and Boys $6B-$7B. Just sign the dude already. 4-5-6 years who cares.Get Coletti and Magic Johnson over here god damnit.

67. This did not happen. If these clowns on WIP didn’t make up shit they would have nothing to talk about. Cataldi has wing bowl right now, so he doesn’t have to brush up on any sports.

68. 4 years@$110 will get the deal done….

69. 610SucksTheBigOne

December 12, 2012 at 3:14 pm

DickyDick, the Phillies do.. They publicly stated they want to stay under the luxury tax. Any Phillies fan who follows them religiously KNOWS this. I love it when people don’t know what they’re talking about :) it makes me laugh…

70. Thank you for the sensible critique. Me & my neighbor were just preparing to do some research on this. We got a grab a book from our local library but I think I learned more from this post. I’m very glad to see such fantastic information being shared freely out there.