Shane Victorino Says He Wanted to Come Back to the Phillies

Screen Shot 2013-01-07 at 11.40.02 AMPhoto: Philadelphia Boys & Girls Clubs

This shouldn’t come as much of a surprise, but Shane Victorino wanted to return to the Phillies this winter. Of course, the feelings weren’t mutual because paying Victorino $39 million over the next 36 months – something the Red Sox signed up for – at this stage of his career is ridiculous. But despite Victo’s sometimes annoying Twitter and all that Slappiness, for me, the Phils trading Victo signaled the end of an era. Not the end of success, (because the Phils still have plenty of players remaining from the 2008 team and will contend for the next few years)… just the end of a short, magnificent era of Phillies baseball.

Victorino was in (Not-So) Nicetown* on Friday for the one-year anniversary of his Boys & Girls Club. Here’s what he told Matt Gelb of Philly.com about wanting to come back to the Phillies:

"Oh yeah, absolutely," Victorino said. "I focused on that. I wanted to come back. We kept in touch and informed them on what was going on and the opportunities I was getting. We gave them every last shot to give me an opportunity to come back. This was the place I wanted to be. But unfortunately it didn't work out."

"I look at all the memories I've left here and I will always have here," Victorino said. "You never say never. Will I never be a Phillie again? Who knows? But right now I'm a Red Sox and I'm focused on that opportunity. Every time I come back to this city, the memories rekindle.”

Phillies fans will have a chance to formally show their gratitude for Victorino's service May 29-30, when the Red Sox play a two-game interleague series at Citizens Bank Park. "To be a visiting player in my home park," he said, "it's going to be fun."

The folks in Boston may take issue with Victorino calling CBP his “home park.” But I’m just fine with it.

*He was joined by his old boss, Phillies president David Montgomery.

1. I think I would have screamed bloody murder if they gave Victorino a 3yr/$39MM contract
    If he lowered his demands considerably, then I’d be okay with having him back. But christ, not at what Boston gave him…

2. Candy from the Oak

January 7, 2013 at 11:48 am

Heard he knocked up the bartender at PJ’s

3. Shane is addicted to cheating on his spouse

4. Whether he wanted to or not how could he turn down that deal from the Red Sox? They got HOSED!

5. Why is the Crossing Broad “Comments” section such a cesspool of blubbering idiots?

6. Rachel Recklesss

January 7, 2013 at 12:02 pm

^^^ Great question

7. shane is a fraud & from I hear is a terrible human being

8. Shane loves cheating on his wife with drunk college girls in AC

9. A Huge Wingbowl Fan

January 7, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Shane will fuck anything with tits.

10. Shane will always have a place in the hearts of Phillies fans. Ya know besides some of the complete fucktards that post here anyway…

11. "Wild" Bill Soreman

January 7, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Is that really Rachel? What’s up whore? Have any new STDs pig?

12. wild pitch, runner on 3rd scores, Victorino still on first

January 7, 2013 at 1:53 pm

No one – that stupid – should EVER make that kind of money
    at least his taxes are higher now

13. Why is the Crossing Broad “Comments” section such a cesspool of blubbering idiots?
    - kind of unfair to cesspools, doncha think?

14. Chance- VP of the GnA Falcons

January 7, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Shane loves breaking the 7th Commandment

15. A Huge Wingbowl Fan

January 7, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Boston is insane for giving him that contract to a declining player who is the dumbest baserunner in MLB

16. Candy from the Oak

January 7, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Heard G brought back a oven from Germany for Ed’s birthday

17. Why is he dressed like a Rambo reject?
    Was he running around in front of CBP yelling ‘Nothing is Over Amaro! Nothing!’

18. Shane was also at the Harvest in Glen Mills afterwards. He and his wife were very friendly to everyone in the bar/restaurant. Harvest didn’t close on time to allow everyone to hang out with Shane. Very friendly and personable.