I’m Developing a Man Crush on Matt Barkley

Michael Vick certainly doesn’t want a quarterback competition. But he’s going to get one, probably from Nick Foles. And though many pundits are high on Matt Barkley, his name never seems to come up in the discussion, something that Barkley has noticed… and doesn’t like: [NJ.com]

“There is an open competition,” said Barkley, the Eagles’ fourth-round pick in this year’s draft. “Whether you feel like it or not, it’s there. I absolutely feel like I have to be a part of it.”

“Regardless of what they’re going to say, you’re mindset has to be that you’re in the race to start,” he said. “Whether it’s a special-teamer or with the third string, you have to be ready to go in. You have to have that mindset if you’re a player on Sunday. That’s my mindset. I’m in competition regardless of whatever anyone else is saying.”

“It’s a little different being in that position with the different teams,” Barkley said. “But nonetheless you are still capable of showing what you can do and how you can manage the offense. And at the same time, how can you elevate the guys around you? That’s what they want to see.”

Aww. He’s so cute.

And thus begins this weird three-way between an aging, ex-con former superstar… Napolean Dynamite… and blonde, boyishly good-looking Matt Barkley, who has now officially tossed his name into the fray. I feel like Barkley is oblivious to the caldron that he is about to enter. Reams of sweaty, slightly overweight Eagles beat reporters nipping at his sculpted calves for a quote, comment or nugget of pithiness following each and every practice over the next two weeks. But he doesn’t care. He’s Matt Barkley– USC grad, keeper of smokeshow wife, rider of steerage, Eagles quarterback in waiting. Just an open competition, man.

1. ThePhillyFlash

July 23, 2013 at 10:53 am

If Chip’s new broom had TRULY swept clean after he was hired, then Vick would be someplace else right now and Barkley’s quest to become the starter would be a good deal easier since he’d only have Nick Foles (yeah, he does look like Napoleon Dynamite) for comeptition. At present, it doesn’t matter who the starter will be come week one, but who will be taking the snaps in week 17, and I believe it’ll be Barkley, and perhaps sooner than any of us realize.

2. Rhea Hughes' dick

July 23, 2013 at 10:56 am

I’d bang both him and his wife. “It’s OK, if it’s in a three way”

3. I can see why you would have a man crush on him. He’s got Jeff Carter’s haircut.

4. Carmen Sandiego

July 23, 2013 at 11:00 am

Nothing wrong with a man crush. I usually like my man crushes to be a little older than me, but I can make an expection with Barkdaddy.

So I am on tinder last night and what do you know Kacie Mcdonnell’s profile pops up, I liked it, and she hasn’t liked me back yet. Pretty disappointed. Kyle, you mess around on Tinder? It’s like shooting fish in a barrel, but the fish are pussy and the bullet is my Pen15. Have a great day!

5. Crucify Wheels

July 23, 2013 at 11:00 am

You’re wearing out “smokeshow”, but I’m glad that you’ve found a new male athlete to pretend you’re not sexually attracted to.

6. Yeah you do have a “crush” type ….

7. We’ll see. He seems to have a better head on his shoulders then Matt Leinart or Mark Sanchez but he definitely doesn’t have the tools Palmer did coming out. He could be good, or he could be just another USC QB.

I really couldn’t care less who the QB is this season. As long as they hand the ball off 40 times a week, I’m good with whoever Chip picks. I will say this though: Next years draft class is stacked at QB. (I’m a big fan of Aaron Murray out of Georgia and Teddy Bridgewater). Barkley could be the guy, but I don’t want to miss out on something great if he shows promise then flops in the seasons that follow.

• Crucify Wheels

July 23, 2013 at 11:37 am

I have zero expectations or hopes this season for the Eagles, but I agree it will be nice to see someone run the ball on first and second down for a change (my expectations for the Chiefs are several losses due to clock management).

• Absolutely. It’ll be a fun year simply for the fact that the expectations are very low and I’d probably consider 7-9 a success given the transition on defense.

As for the Chiefs…I hate to say it, but I’d peg them as a WC team in the AFC…The talent is there. They won’t suck. Reid will certainly cost them some games mismanaging the clock though. Word on the street is he has already used their timeouts through the second game of the pre-eason…

• Chiefs won’t suck? Least talented team in the league + Andy Reid does not make them a good team.

• Crucify Wheels

July 23, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I don’t know shit about the Chiefs really besides that they were 2-14 last year. But if you read their local media or blogs they act like they’re geniuses for picking up the greatest coach in NFL history that we were too dumb not to recognize. So yeah, hoping they eat a big bowl of Reid’s typical “I’ve got to do a better job” shit for his entire tenure.

• The Chiefs have a ton of talent on that roster. Alex Smith is a good game manager and their defense with Flowers and Eric Berry is a lot better then people think. They have 6 or 7 pro-bowl caliber players and they had a decent draft.

I fully expect them to compete.

8. lol @ the guy who wants Aaron Murray.

9. Aaron Murray is on the same level as Tyler Bray (who went undrafted). He’ll be a mid round pick next year.

10. He already got married? What a dope!

11. ThePhillyFlash

July 23, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Crucify Wheels @ “I don’t know shit about the Chiefs really besides that they were 2-14 last year. But if you read their local media or blogs they act like they’re geniuses for picking up the greatest coach in NFL history that we were too dumb not to recognize.”

Hmm! Now where have I heard that spiel before? Oh! I know! 1995 when Rich Kotite was signed by the Jets after the Eagles canned his stupid ass. The arrogant New York media laughed in our faces, called his signing a coup and that we would regret letting Kotite go. Two seasons and four total wins later, Richie the K was gone and Philly got the last laugh. Something tells me history is going to repeat itself with the Chiefs and Fatboy Reid.