Video: New Documentary Focuses on Slow Death of The Inquirer and Daily News

This documentary, Black and White and Dead All Over, which focuses on the collapse of the newspaper industry through the lens of Philadelphia, looks fantastic, and I can’t wait to watch it. It’s available for free online here. But this one line from the trailer (3:20) pretty much hints at its (misguided) slant: Where is the Internet going to get its information if the newspaper in your town goes out of business?

Uh, that makes no sense. Do I get a lot of stories from the papers and Philly.com? You bet. But it has nothing to do with there being a physical newspaper or the crummy business model associated with it. It has everything to do with there being reporters – some very good – at those places. When the newspaper goes out of business, there can, could and should be online-only outlets – blogs or otherwise – that crop up to do the same great journalism formatted for a different medium. It’s not rocket science, and this is sometimes the problem with print people– they always assume that journalism can’t be done on the web or elsewhere. That makes no sense. Look no further than The Verge, Medium or dozens of other web-only sites that produce quality work. Newsflash, ink people: Information now starts on the web, not in a 12-hour-old publication.

Anyway, this is your homework over the holidays. Watch this documentary.

via Philebrity

1. Angelo's Inner Voice

December 17, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Yes, we can still get our information online from geniuses like Bowen, Hayes, Ford, Murphy, Gelb, Donnellon, Hoffman, Domowitch, and most of all, Crooked Eddie Rendell.

2. Apparently i personally insulted a journalist for the Daily news and Philly.com when I suggested on his facebook page that his job was to instigate. Then he waits for all the argumentative comments from his readers.

ink and pen extinct ? Nature always finds a way to survive. Man is arrogant. and pompous.

• Angelo's Inner Voice

December 17, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Wait, there are no “journalists” at the 2 establishments you mentioned, only wretched hacks who line up daily at the feeding trough of whatever team they are “covering”.

They stuff their gullets, ask a few softball questions, then go write the same column that’s been written dozens of times before.

I should know, I used to be one of those dopes, until I re-branded myself as a classy radio host.

3. There will always be a Philly.com even is there’s no dead tree version of the two papers.

4. By the way, Government owns the media. control. Thats why the Internet is wide open Uncharted territory.

The EMP God could change all that.

• Will you please shut the fuck up?

• Yep…Government controls media. Thats why all those government scandals that you probably salivate over are reported all the time. Yep, makes total sense. How bout you take a trip to North korea and then come back and well talk about out of control government.

• Catch a damned pass

December 18, 2013 at 3:42 am

Oh the North Korean government is very much in control :P

• Jenn the scandals YOU dont hear about are the ones that surface 5-10 years from now. dont give me that “Go to N Korea go to Russia” freedom fries drivel. dont follow the herd.

• K, so enlighten us with the scandals that will happen 5 years from now. And I asssume that you were well aware of all of todays scandals 5 years ago. And how do you know all this? Are you part of some resistance group or something?Are you on the front lines investigating or infiltrating uncle sam? Reading Breitbart.com doesnt make you a spy.

And dont give me the “goto n korea goto russia freedom fries blablabla”? Are you serious? People like you act like this country is going to become that or already is that way. Youve all been saying this shit for years and where is the proof? Whenever theres an economic downturn or something you all come out of the woodwork and say, “See? I told ya so!!” But you still never have anything more than hyperbole to connect the dots from A to B in your conspiracy theories.

And ill give you a scandal that I knew about years ago in 2009…The NSA. Know how I knew? I read about it on cbs. Literally the same exact story broke back then, but it didnt get picked up heavily because it didnt have the flash of having a leaker and enemy of the state as it did recently. Oh but I guess the whole nsa thing is just a hood ornament and you know all about the REAL terror thats coming five years from now, because…you dont read the news? Sure.

• I read Wayne Madsen Report, Matt Tiabbi and Seymour Hersh. I’d worry more about the 30,000 predator drones approved for flight in the US. Maybe the armored vehicles being given to local police enforcement. small moves.

• @ jenn- how annoying is it when wip has wing bowl eaters
        & white trash strippers on the morning show ? Horrible radio

• To echo a previous sentiment… Shut then fuck up.

5. I miss the days were I would have a daily news on my lap while shitting

• Guess you gotta shit with your iPad BO! Good thing I’m hocking GET THE FUNK OFF WIPES! If you get shit smudges on your iPad just GET THA FUNK OFF BROTHAAAA!

• Phony Murray from Mayfair

December 17, 2013 at 4:44 pm

@phony cuz-You’re the best lol

• Thanks Murry how’s the family BROTHA?. AWWWE man that’s really fantastic! Hey BO I can’t wait til mike missanelli makes you sing Christmas carols that you really don’t know the words to, so you embarrass yourself with out really knowing it. Man he’s a genius. Don’t forget to tune in at 5:00 the ruling on the bubbler is in and we’re gonna expose him for the fraud he truly is.. To be a real fan you gotta put in the work, you gotta bleed and put part of your heart out there like us real fans. You can’t just jump in and be on the top tier with the real fans!

• The Real Murray from Mayfair

December 17, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I’m strictly a Rob Ellis guy now. Beat it cuz

• MAAN my bad Mur!.. I got my radio call In characters confused… I think it was all the pot smoke coming from Rob Charry’s update booth.. The Cuz musta caught a contact! HA HA HA HAAAAA HA HAH A HE HE HEEEE HA HA. (Just listened to the real cuz and realized I have been leaving out his horrible phony laugh) I know you’re Robby Tha E’s caller I was thinking of Bernie from Broomall! I hope you can forgive me BO, I meant no disrespect!

6. Someone who knows

December 17, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Considering I do tech for these large papers, I can tell you that many don’t put a lot of their funds into print anymore and instead their IT departments are starting to out-grow their print rooms.

Changing, ever so slowly.

A lot of these places have people who have been in the newspaper business for all their lives. So, they do not know anything else. Thus it’s a hard transition.

7. Jesus Christ. I can figure out why you post these articles. Do you write them to make yourself look better? Flyers beat writers, WIP, 97.5, and random dyke bloggers. I’m hoping since they are so terrible you would be able to put something out on your own site to jump ahead of them. Instead you wanna write stories about some fucking sweatshirts for 2 weeks. Fuck this media bashing and repost some deadspin articles already.

8. How can Murray from Mayfair talk while gargling Dodgers’ nut sacks in his mouth?

Murray, no one gives a fuck about your Dodgers stop calling. You and baseball George both need to take a long walk off a short pier.

• See? The “one call per caller per week” rule was a good idea, after all!

• It sure was. Unfortunately for WIP, only stupid douchebags (i.e. Eagle’s fans) call to talk sports on the radio so they have to open it up some in the off season when only every other call is about the train wreck Eagles organization. Frankly, I’d rather hear dead air than Murray prattle on about Yasiel Puig or Baseball George pontificate about “Peter Edward Rose”. Two callers who claim to be experts in baseball and don’t know shit.

9. Unemployed Glen Macnow

December 17, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Just applied for a job as a food critic. Best way to continue the free food tradition. Wish me luck. Goose gotta eat!

• Angelo's Inner Voice

December 17, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Are you working as a consultant for that skank from a few posts ago?

• Unemployed Glen Macnow

December 17, 2013 at 9:22 pm

I’d rather not say. I will say that any restaurant willing to host me and my family is guaranteed to receive 5 posts from me on Kyle’s next story saying how delicious the meal was.

• Angelo's Inner Voice

December 17, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Well, if it turns out to be Anthony’s Cole Fired Pizza or Del Frisco’s Steak House, we already have shills for those ptomaine palaces!

• Goose that’s an AWWWWWESOME idea BROTHA! You can start a food blog for all the FOODIES BO! You can ask all your favorite spots for free food.. Kyle can help you out he has a copy of that ladies email. You can just white out her name and send it with your info and just wait for all the free shit to start pouring in! It’s kinda like what I do on the radio.. Sorry I was such a bully and wouldn’t let you get any good sponsors. Speaking of sponsors I got COLONIAL MARBLE AND GRANITE coming over this week to put in some new GRANITE COUNTEEEERTOOOPS in the crib, I’m getting PUMPED UP for the seven fishes on Christmas Eve! Well I gotta run goose I’m up against it, keep me posted BROTHA say hi to the wife and kids for me BO!

10. Unemployed Glen Macnow

December 17, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Given the pull my name has in this town I’m hoping one of the Turnpike Roy Rogers takes me up on my offer. I’d even accept an invite from Sbarro.

• You could always hand out business card at the food court down at the mall goose… Concentrated marketing! AWWWWWESOME!!

11. Unemployed Glen Macnow

December 17, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Tonight’s movie club for men selection is Caddyshack. I’m sure a lot of you haven’t seen it, you should check it out.

• This reminds me of tonight when I saw the preview for that new AWESOME Stallone movie.. I think that’s what pushed me over the edge to get you off the show! You said Stallone has made more bad movies than any other actor.. My man Bob means Jobs disagrees and I can’t have you disrespecting my friends goose. I think it’s over between us BO! I won’t be in tomorrow so maybe you and Rob Ellis can have an on air love fest. Maybe even call up your best buddy Ray Diddenger. I gotta go to the airport and pick up my POP! He’s coming in from Florida for my big seven fishes feast!

12. Why does barkcann keep embarrassing me telling everyone I’m on rogaine

13. Prayer request for Gary and Cindy Hogman – don’t delete please!

Gary is serving in Iraq while his young wife is fighting cancer here.

Prayer is a powerful thing. THIS COUPLE NEEDS OUR PRAYERS.
    PLEASE read this. IT MUST BE TERRIBLY DIFFICULT TO BE IN IRAQ WITH A SICK WIFE AT HOME.

Tough times don’t last… Tough people do.

My name is Gary Hogman. Some of you receiving this know me, some do not. My wife, Cindy, is 32 years old and has just been diagnosed 3 days ago with stage 4 cervical cancer and her chances for survival are very slim.

She was pregnant

with our second child and had miscarried recently at 3 months, and now we know why. This is a request for you to forward this e-mail to everyone you know asking for prayer. The more people that pray her to be healed, the better.

Pray and forward. It only takes a second to hit ‘forward’. Please do it and don’t delete this, your prayer can, and perhaps will, save her life. Please pray and ask everyone you know to pray for the HEALING of Cindy and the removal of all cancer in her body, so she may enjoy all that life has to offer, and to continue to be the wonderful Mother to our 5 year old son Michael. The power of Prayer is unsurpassed.

I want the whole world to have her in their prayers the next few weeks. God will hear our cry. Please do not be offended by my plea.. This is only a request for your help.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for reading this and helping with our request for healing! No words can express the power we have when we each do a little to come together.

Regards, Cindy’s husband -Gary

14. Rhea keeps calling me “Joseph”. My name is Cougar!

15. “Clark stop eating mommies hay”!

16. HEY PHONYCUZ! IM CALLING YOU OUT YOU STUPID ASS DEGO. Im going to cut your stringy, hairy, flaccid, pink, soft, droopy 1 inch penis off and serve it to you on a primos hoagie. Cause youre not just a fraud–YOURE A FAGGOT! Youre gling to choke on your chunky italian foreskin whilst RHEA HUGHES sprays green foamy diarrhea all over little ant and assimo. Then im going to halfway cook an old hot dog in the microwave and fuck you in the wound hole where your penis once existed before you ate it on a fucking hoagie you stupid shit. Hey BO, next time youre in south philly, do me a favor and jump into oncoming traffic on broad street. I hate you gargano. Im taking your radio show and soon after youre rotting in a cell for jerking off to a poster for college basketball on the subway, im going to adopt lil piss ant and assimo or machissmo or whatever retarded name you gave that kid and raise them to breast feed from RHEA HUGHES until theyre 10. That way they’ll never have the nutritiom to be able to play ball bo!

• WOOOW Ang! Did you come up with that yourself or did you have Joe Conklin help you out?! Take it from the Goose… You don’t wanna fuck with the Cuz or you’ll be in line at the local soup kitchen. I hope you get ass hole cancer, wait… You already had that! AWWWWWWESOME BROTHA!!! Enjoy tha holidays BO.

17. why print something when you can get it free on your smartphone, the paper business has been over for a long time. save the trees!!

• Panhandler Glen Macnow

December 18, 2013 at 11:52 am

I’m with ya my friend , I’m all about free. Did I ever tell ya the story about the time I scored some free Chinese food from the dumpster behind Chou Meins Diner. It was just yesterday. Thanks for the call. I’m getting really tired. It’s awfully cold out here. Wonder what Ray Diddys doing…….

18. Very descriptive article, I loved that bit.
    Will there be a part 2?