There is a Ridiculous Article Shredding Michael Vick in The New York Times Today

Voila_Capture929I don’t particularly like Michael Vick, and certainly can’t stomach what he did some time ago, but I think that, at this point, besides the occasional joke and pun, we really need to move on from flogging him for actions for which he’s paid.

But nope. Not in the New York Times. Juliet Macur with an absolutely brutal, uncalled for, piece on Vick, the Eagles and sports in general. An excerpt:

Teams evaluating Vick should think about those horrors before offering him a chance to wear their jersey. They should say, “Can’t we give our fans someone better to cheer for?” Fans should demand someone better.

The Eagles didn’t. Instead of passing on Vick when he was released from prison and perhaps forcing him to play in the Canadian league or having him work his way back up, the Eagles immediately chose to reward him with a two-year contract, paying him $1.6 million the first year, then $5.2 million. By 2011, he had a six-year, $100 million contract.

The cast of characters in Saturday’s game was a reminder of just how generous the league is with its ridiculous offers of second chances, like Vick’s.

Eagles wide receiver Riley Cooper made racist remarks about African-Americans — on a team filled with African-Americans — and still ended up starting in the playoffs, the recipient of roaring cheers.

Saints Coach Sean Payton was suspended last year for a bounty program in which players were paid to inflict serious injuries on their opponents, and still he was hailed for ushering the Saints to their first ever road playoff win.

I can say, almost unequivocally, that this person hates sports and, possibly, men. None of these actions – not Vick’s, not Cooper’s, not Payton’s – should be celebrated. But, there was almost no reason, no trigger, to bring them up. Macur simply used Vick’s free agency to rail on him and people and things barely related to him. She also went into great detail on the unspeakable crimes he admitted to. It’s hard to read, and made me, someone who doesn’t squirm at much, a little bit queasy.

Vick told me on Saturday that he had grown up since serving time in prison and had done a lot to redeem himself in the eyes of the public.

“I’ve changed in so many ways, so many — why don’t you write that?” he told me as he walked off from his locker, leaving behind a few shirts, cocoa butter lotion, a bottle of baby oil and green shower shoes.

I’m still searching for the reason why this was written, now.

1. Before joining the Times in 2004, Ms. Macur worked as a project reporter for the Dallas Morning News, where she had the unenviable job of spending one entire season writing exclusively about then Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells. Before that, she covered the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Olympics and motorsports for the Orlando Sentinel.

2. Ms. Macur’s work has received honors from the National Press Club, the Associated Press Sports Editors, the Society of Professional Journalists and the New York Press Club. Her work has twice been anthologized in the Best American Sports Writing series.

3. nick papagiorgio

January 6, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Looks like Mike Vick had an unexpected dog day afternoon.

4. Good find Kyle! Trust me, what Vick did in his past is beyond disgusting and horrible. This coming from a dog owner. HOWEVER, he has served his time AND has done nothing but changed his ways for the better. Since he’s arrived here with the Eagles, he’s been nice, low key, private, and a great team mate. Goes to show, people can change and from what I see, he has. This person at the New York Times has NO CLUE

• Lee Muthafuckin' Hazelwood

January 6, 2014 at 3:41 pm

See also: not Paterno’s fault.

• I love you PHL SportsGirl!

• Lyle Chipperson

January 7, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Yeah, she’s some uniformed bitch up in NY who honestly thinks the general public will agree with her. So, she wants to criticize Vick, cooper and sean payton? Really steppin out on a limb there, aren’t ya hun? Asinine reporting like this absolutely infuriates me.

5. nick papagiorgio

January 6, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I think he is a great guy and people just hate him cause he’s black

6. Why is your logo on the picture of Mike Vick, Kyle?

7. It should be up to the fans on how they want to cheer for him. I met one eagles fan who, along with her friends, simply won’t cheer when Vick makes a big play. They respect he’s on the team, but they don’t have to vocalize any support for him if they don’t want to. There will be those, like myself, who do think he’s paid his time and can cheer for him, like many in the Philadelphia region have done. If the city with the “worst” fans can handle this maturely enough, I’m pretty sure other cities will as well.

8. I really wish people would give it a rest. How about someone go dig a skeleton out of her closet and then rag on her for the next ten years about it?

9. Jan 19th 2013
    JJ Abrams has reportedly bought the screen rights to a future biography of Lance Armstrong. … The author is to be New York Times sports reporter Juliet Macur,

10. Macur got married in 2010 and kept her maiden name = Man hater

11. I agree with the article. Who the fuck wants to cheer for someone who did shit like that. It makes my stomach turn till this day. Doesn’t matter how long ago it happened, it happened. The Eagles organization gave a big fuck you to fans when they signed him, all for the almighty dollar, hidden under the guise of second chances.

12. I would rather have “rehabbed” dog killer than a free rapist…

13. I bet the Author loves to eat chicken and pork that were killed in much the same way Vick’s dogs were. Nom noms…

Seriously though, I know there are standards for livestock slaughter but if you eat it, you’ve definitely eaten meat not killed humanely at least once.

14. Vick paid his debt to society so I have no problem with him getting a second chance. However, I don’t need to be happy that it wa smy city who gave him that chance. Also, Vick was an obnoxious self absorbed jerk before going to jail, I don’t see how that changed. Also, Vick was an over-rated gimmick player who won a total of two (!) playoff games his entire career and that certainly didn’t change after his stint in jail.

And as far as I can tell he never had to pay his debt for his “Ron Mexico” antics which I find way more insulting and disturbing than his dog-fighting activites, (although those were pretty damn awful and disgusting as well).

Can’t wait until Vick’s gone. One of the reasons I can’t stand Kelly is he kept Vick around here another year. The fact that until week 11 Kelly still insisted Vick was the better QB than Foles should disturb a lot of people who are buying into “Chip Kelly is a Genius” hype.

15. It’s not like he put dogs in the deep fryers like I have at my work

16. Michael vick is just another black thug punk who should be thrown out of the nfl along with the rest of them. It would be so much better if we had an all white league, I mean just look at what they did to the nba

17. The Philly Drunk

January 6, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Fuck Michael Vick – hopefully he’s no longer an Eagle.

18. What time do the eagles play next week?

19. Its New York.
    Don’t they worship puffy?

20. It’s an easy piece, hardly any work involved, just cue the outrage – and Kyle, you’re right, it doesn’t seem to have any purpose, because she’s not bringing anything new to the story. She didn’t even make a token effort to actually probe what Vick has done since prison – good or bad – much less consider what his history in Philly might mean for any team that might want to hire him. There’s a real story there, and a good column, but she didn’t get it.

21. Why does her article bother you Kyle?? she is entitled to write whatever she wants. Her main point is that fans deserve more and there are no ethics in sports.

does anyone not agree to that???

Were any of us excited to get michael vick on our team straight from prison. NO.

Her point is you should want players you can be proud of and don’t forget how terrible it was what he did. nothing wrong with what she wrote.

I agree with your opening remarks “I don’t particularly like Michael Vick, and certainly can’t stomach what he did some time ago, but I think that, at this point, besides the occasional joke and pun, we really need to move on from flogging him for actions for which he’s paid.”

but i also agree and support her article bigitme. there are no ethics in sports and talent will get you paid no matter what you do off the field.

22. Lyle Chipperson

January 7, 2014 at 9:28 pm

I imagine she mentioned cocoa butter, because after a long night of enjoying the company of several black stallions, her breath, hands, and butthole all reek of cocoa butter.

23. Criminals always want everybody to get over it and move on. In Vick’s case I think he has indeed evolved into a decent person. It didn’t happen overnight. He was still a bad person well into his (post-prison) Eagles career. They lied for him and covered for him but he somehow pulled himself into the real world. Credit Andy Reid. Superman is dead. I hope Vick keeps on growing up and wins some big games for somebody. I mainly hope he remains a credit to his community and his children. We don’t need any hero worship school visits from reformed criminals like M.V. just be a decent man.

24. Actually, Vick NEVER paid for what he did to the dogs. Instead, his political cronies got him only for gambling. This isn’t about flogging him or being stuck in the past. This is about being ever alert to who this man really is. He never showed remorse for what he did … the horrors… the absolute horrors that he did with his own bare hands …. that he chose to commit. Michael Vick is a permanent scar in the consciousness of humankind. No one can do what he did to animals at will, by choice, having concocted the cruelest tortures that were performed on these dogs and think for one minute that he paid his time. His actions on the equivalent of what humans would be charged for in war crimes. The difference here is that there was no war. There was only a guy and his pals who got off on torturing innocent living beings… dogs. Shame on all of you for missing the message of those who keep Vick front center stage for the murderer that he was. God only knows the condition of his current dogs.

25. Uncalled for article written by the journalist of the New York Times? Silly boy, Kyle. What naive part of the universe do you live in?

26. Crazy white people

January 15, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Yall are some crazy ass white people who gives a fuck about those dogs Yall are some sick crazy white folks. You will kill a man and in the same breath will say those poor dogs Fuck them dogs

27. Last I checked the felonies and misdemeanors he committed added up to 96 years in prison. He served almost no time, mostly house arrest, and has no remorse. And dog owners on his side are you serious? A second chance is something you get for a speeding ticket. Not wholesale torture and murder. Fuck Michael Vick, and fuck the moron that wrote this article.

28. You stanky!