Jimmy Rollins Finally Explains Why He Doesn’t Run to First on Ground Balls to the Second Baseman

Jimmy Rollins joined Michael Barkann and Ike Reese today to discuss his petulance. This after he spoke with the rest of the media this morning about his petulance.

Earlier, we brought you some of Rollins’ quotes about why he and Ryne Sandberg aren’t speaking to each other. But in his interview with Mike and Ike Rollins went a bit further in describing his (non-)relationship with Sandberg and why it’s not really necessary to run down to first on balls hit to the right side of the infield.

The passive aggressiveness is strong with this one.

On Sandberg:

“I’m not gonna seek him out. If it’s something that he has an issue with, then he’ll come to me. And that’s the way it should be. Players don’t go to managers and ask what’s the problem unless they know they did something wrong or they feel they did something wrong. But until then, you just keep working at it, and if there’s something he has an issue with and he wants to talk about it, then he will.”

On not running:

“You hit a ground ball to second. Two three steps out the box, he has the ball, I know I’m out. It doesn’t matter how hard I go down there– I’m out. The ball is already in his glove. I can’t make myself safe after that. It probably doesn’t look that well. It’s a fact. It’s a fact. When balls are hit to the left side – shortstop, third base side – I put my head down and run because I can’t see the play in front of me. But as a leader, you can’t do those things and expect to get away with them. And I accept that responsibility. I never fought it. I never balked back.”

Yes, because it’s a statistical fact that no one has ever beat out a ground ball to the second baseman:

Some people on Twitter seemed to think Barkann went easy on Rollins and didn’t push back on the ground ball comment. Maybe. But I thought Barkann asked all the right questions given the existing conflict of interest (the fact that CSN and WIP air Phillies games).

Audio from Mike and Ike here. Video from other media scrum here.

1. Insert clever handle

March 13, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Barkann never asks the tough questions. He always wants to be players friends.

2. What a douche. Take that attitude back to Oaktown, yeah, the Bay area never back down….’cept when it comes to ground balls to the right side.

3. OK, so you’re saying Rollins wouldn’t have run out those plays? The Rollins I’ve watched runs out those plays.
    Do I think he runs out the automatic outs? No. Does it bother me? Yes.
    But the plays you showed above aren’t the issues.
    On the whole, Rollins hustles a lot. Look at defense. Look at his triples.
    All that being said, I have always thought it was weird that we get worked up over not hustling on grounders, but no one bats an eye when Rollins, Utley, Howard or, hell, Pete Rose himself, doesn’t run full bore on a lazy pop fly to the outfield.
    You rarely see them do it. Sometimes they do, but not all the time.

4. Case of tasty cakes

March 13, 2014 at 5:13 pm

I agree with him about the manager. If not hustling is the problem the manager can let him know. He’s a vet and no longer has to pander to a manager for playing time. I’d like to see him hustle more but come on, he would run out a chopper to second.

Also, those highlights you showed were all tough plays for the second baseman, not the easy grounder to second he was talking about people killing him for not running out. And Robbie Cano an example of hustling? Yeah fucking right. He’s just as lazy if not lazier than rollins.

Im sick of jimmy sucking at the plate and wish we weren’t saddled with him for as long as we are, but he didn’t give himself that shit contract. I’m a little disappointed Ryno isn’t trying to bury this stupid squabble as soon as possible before the the season starts. Everything needs to go right for this team to even think of contending, why add more shit to the mix.

5. Using Cano as an example is comical

6. If Rollins is in the spring games I get to go to see this year, I will be boo-ing my ass off when he is up….I hope all of Philly does too when he plays at CBP…. He’s really shown to be a bitch the last few years….

• Yeah lets just trash the leader of the only championship team this city has seen in the last 25+ years.

• Chewy Chum Chum

March 13, 2014 at 5:51 pm

You’re a fucking tard. I hope you do boo him and subsequently have a beer thrown at your head. Bc of Rollins, we have a championship. He is a douche but he’s OUR douche. Fuck you.

7. I agree with everything here but c’mon Kyle all three of those videos are plays that every single player in baseball runs out and are in no way the type of play Rollins is talking about

8. Not that there has ever been a throwing error either. I forgot that every 2nd baseman has 100% fielding percentage on throws to first, or the 1st baseman has never dropped the throw. What a POS. I can’t wait for him to be gone, Perfect example of why I can’t stand watching this team..

9. On the three video examples given, I believe Rollins would have run all of them out. They all were in the hole and had base hit written all over them. The second baseman didn’t have the ball two or three steps out of the box on any of them.

10. francis albert

March 13, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Trying to figure out which is worse…not running it out…or his fuck you attitude about it….

11. I never understood why Jimmy gets the lazy label so much. Yeah, he doesnt hustle it out on easy groundouts (not those ridiculous examples kyle was using) sometimes, but hes not that much worse than a lot of ball players. As the guy above said, Utley, Howard, Chooch, etc are all guilty of it. I get that it can piss you off, and thats fine. But the level of vitriol he gets, to the point where hes labeled as a guy who doesnt try at all (yeah go back and watch seasons 2007 – 10 and tell me that shit) and people are saying goodd riddance is ridiculous. This guy was a huge part of the heart and soul of those world series teams, and to see idiots say hes awful and should get the fuck outta town is insulting to any decent fan.

• Bingo!!!! Gee I wonder why he gets buried in Philly? The ghost of Ben Chapman.

• So we’re cool with going back in time now to justify our athlete’s issues? Sweet, we should sign Rick Ankiel to shore up our rotation then.

12. And you were all over this in 2008.? This horse left the barn a long time ago. This will not end well for the manager.

13. All good points… Rollins said Sandberg & Manuel are complete opposites. Jro wants nothing to do with a hard nosed manager who tells him how to play. In any event, it seems rather unprofessional on both parts & shouldve been handled in-house. Maybe Rollins is just downtrodden because he finally realized his team sucks.

14. Rotting corpse

March 13, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Has Sandberg stated that he’s benched because of laziness? Could it be that he just blows at this point in his career? They’re stuck with him because nobody else would want him for that money period. It sucks but when your GM is incompetent, you end up with rosters like this. They had their chance over two seasons ago to let jimmy go and also address cholly’s long leash with his buddy players and didn’t. You reap what you sow.

15. If Jimmy didn’t swing for the fences most of the time he probably wouldn’t instantly associate grounders with outs, but I guess being an MVP makes you a smarter hitter than Tony Gwynn.

16. Laziest guy in the game of baseball in America

17. Nice work pulling up 3 videos of ground balls that Rollins IS NOT describing.

18. The last hard-hitting question Barfkann ever asked was at the 1994 Winter Olympics when he interviewed the coach of the speed skater who fell during competition and wanted to know if the ice was too slippery.

• MICHAEL BARKANN

March 13, 2014 at 9:17 pm

CAREFUL NOW, HANKIE! I’M THE SENIOR ANCHOR AT THE FIRST COMCAST SPORTSNET STATION IN THE NATION! WE ARE THE HUB OF ALL THINGS SPORTS IN PHILADELPHIA! SHOW SOME RESPECT! I’LL LET YOU OFF WITH A MINOR VIOLATION THIS TIME.

LET’S TALK ABOUT SPORTS!

19. Ed Wade's Agent

March 13, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Fuck all these douchebag commenters that want to give Jimmie Popup a free pass to be shiftless and lazy, just because he was part of the 2008 WS team. THAT WAS SIX YEARS AGO! Stop living in the past! Expectations have naturally been raised, and Jimmie and the rest of the team has steadily regressed every year since then.

(And the first ass-clown who mentions that the team won 102 games in 2011 gets a big “Fuck You”! That’s a meaningless accomplishment. Each year they have moved further away from the World Series.)

Sandberg should get the full backing from ownership to field a winning ballclub, and that means playing the BEST NINE, no matter the salaries, seniorities, or feelings that will be hurt. They’ve done it Manuel’s/Amaro’s way for 5 years, and it hasn’t worked!

20. Abner Doubleday

March 13, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Facts:
    1) Jimmy won his championship, and is now content. He’s no longer hungry.
    2) As a veteran leader, he should be hustling on EVERYTHING.
    3) Pete Rose hustled his ass off every time he hit the ball. He also hustled to and from the dugout. Jimmy’s too cool for that.
    4) If you don’t hustle, you deserve to get booed. I’m not withholding my boos because he led the Phils to a WS SIX YEARS AGO!
    5) “Petulant” is the perfect word for this dude. Most athletes grow up as they get older and become veterans. In his advancing years, Jimmy is acting more and more like a young punk instead of a wise veteran.
    6) Instead of weakly explaining why he didn’t hustle, he should have said, “As a veteran on this club I need to lead by example. Every player should be hustling all the time, because you never know when that guy might throw one away. I won’t let it happen again.”

• ThePhillyFlash

March 14, 2014 at 6:48 am

Brilliant points! Clearly, Jimmy has his panties in a bunch because he’s got a manager that won’t let him get away with any of the crap he had under Uncle Charlie, Ryno insists on his players being accountable, and Rollins can’t handle that. While I appreciate everything Jimmy and the team did to win that World Series, but that was half a decade ago, time to turn the page.

21. I fucking hate Jimmy with a passion. What a loser. Players, those who actually give a shit, have run out infield singles to the 2nd basemen before you, you fucking piece of shit. I hope your ass is traded you waste of space.

22. Fuck you Jimmy. Because an infielder NEVER makes a bad throw. Selfish prick, Waive your 10 and 5 no trade and get the fuck out wanna be Tupac.

23. I don’t care what you fans think. I get paid either way.

24. Hacking Barkann

March 14, 2014 at 11:06 am

Barkann is a bombastic clown. Now he has turned TV show into a bunch of stupid polls. Having panelists argue a point when they both agree on the same thing. They are running out of things to instant poll so soon you will be seeing one on which color you prefer, Red or Blue. Do you prefer a rising sun or a setting sun.

• Brian Roberts, CEO

March 14, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Settle down folks. Michael Barkann is merely piloting the technology we will use to determine not only which programs appear on Comcast SportsNet, but which players, managers, coaches, and broadcasters stay or leave on the Flyers and the Phillies.

• Barkann,

Fuck that polling shit. If you want to increase your viewership, have Dei Lynam wear strapless dresses and quarter-cup bras.

25. “But as a leader, you can’t do those things and expect to get away with them.” ~ Slow your roll, James…I never thought of you as a ‘leader’.