Vin Scully Describing How Cole and Heidi Hamels Met is One of the Greatest Things Ever

Photo credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports

Photo credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports

I’ve spent the last three nights watching the Phillies on my iPad [article on how to do this coming, I swear] so I could listen to Vin Scully and his soothing tone as opposed to Tom McCarthy and his seeming need to beat you over the head with his awkward dorkiness. It’s been… glorious. Scully is tremendous. He just calls the game the way it should be called. He tells you what’s happening, injects commentary where needed and, yeah, has some old-world baseball views. But he never breathlessly jams his presence down your throat. I haven’t made it through a full game yet, however. I’m so used to being on edge during Phillies broadcasts with McCarthy shouting at me that Scully is like a relaxing serum that has the same effect on me as a warm blanket and brisk belly rub has on a nervous dog. I’m out by the fourth inning, slobbering all over myself.

Anyway, I stayed awake last night long enough to hear Scully’s excellent aside about how Cole and Heidi Hamels met:

He married a cover girl. She was called the “survivor Amazon.” I lose it at that line every time.

GU– geographically unacceptable.

1. Vin is smooth! Best part – and this something Harry Kalas also did – is he he seemlessy goes back and forth from the action (“…nice catch by Byrd…”) and the story, neither suffering due to the other’s existence. Scully and Costas might be the only ones who can do this so well anymore.

• Yeah, cause costas’s gun control rant had everything to do with football…well I guess it kinda does, but keep your political opinions (which really isnt a bad opinion) and your pinkeye smegma away from my football.

2. vin skully…..one the best and the last of a great breed of announcers. unfortunately, these broadcasting schools today must be emphasizing to today’s and tomorrow’s play-by-play douchebags to talk about anything and everything but the game.

• and btw kyle, i normally side with your perspective because…..well, its your blog and we are all just living in it, but i stand with the masses on the kacie post. you’ve let princess sass, the “waitress” from the penthouse club, and even the chick who was proposed to on the bar of mcfaddens all get nailed to the comments cross yet you go and put up a comment roadblock for kacie??

• ^^^ I agree with Informed.
        I enjoy this website a great deal and don’t think I’ve ever had a bad thing to say about Kyle, but he’s dead wrong here.
        Kyle should come clean on this one.
        Kacie is an obnoxious egomaniac who constantly begs for compliments with all the selfies and jersey chasing.
        Then one of her posts is put up with a T-shirt that Kyle sells and we can’t comment on it?
        Really weak.

• Kyle Scott

April 24, 2014 at 12:36 pm

It’s not negative comments, and I hardly police anything, but there’s a difference between funny and writing completely vulgar things about someone with no real humor. It’s one thing when it’s about someone who’s not from around here or will never see it, it’s another thing about a local, what, 22 year old girl?, who likely will see and whose family likely will see it. There’s no rule that you can say the most vile vulgar stuff about someone anonymously. I simply just blocked the comments on that post. It was ridiculous. There’s funny and then there’s nasty.

• I agree with Kyle, but think it should be more consistant. Such as the girl who was featured on this site and destroyed on this site for being a puck chaser holding up signage for Giroux. She was young. She was local. Her poor family and self esteem is what I’m thinking. And I’m not one to bitch about site content, I’m just saying the comments above do have a valid point.

• kyle is getting soft. how come you leave all the sean brace and rhea comments up?

• You’re full of shit. She’s hot and you want her to think you’re nice or whatever. Grow a set of balls.

What about all the unfunny racist shit the flows after you feel the need to broadcast when somebody on twitter calls Simmons the n-bomb?

• What a fraud.

• Calling Bullshit

April 24, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Are you serious with this???

Look, I have no idea what is involved with running a site like this. But, for 3 straight weeks, there was some of the most vulgar shit said about almost every female in Philadelphia sports media..including Kacie…and it all stayed up.

I don’t care how old she is, she puts herself out there with the constant twittering. The girl that got proposed to at McFadden’s didn’t deliberately put herself out there, and she got CRUSHED on this CB. All the posts about her stayed up.

Weak.

• F*cking Screenprints

April 24, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Exactly right. Kyle did not want the hot girl to be mad at him so he freaked out and disabled the comments. Everyone else who is written about on this site gets completely trashed, including those who have no control on being featured in the first place. Kacie puts herself out there so she has to learn to deal with the feedback.

Kyle, you are a complete pussy and a hypocrite.

• I’m fairly new here at least when it comes to commenting. I enjoy this blog and the comments are a big part of that. That being said Kyle would have gotten the shit kicked out of him in my tiny high school and both colleges I went to. Can’t believe this smug tiny hypocrite hasn’t got his ass beat in public yet.

• But you had no problem posting a picture of an upskirt shot of some random girl at a Phillies game a few years ago…

• Kyle is a pussy

April 24, 2014 at 11:50 pm

That’s bullshit Scott. Everyone has been fair game up until this post. You cowered when she or her handlers told you to back off.

Don’t give us that lame “oh, she’s only a 22-year-old girl” horseshit! Her Lindsey-Lohan-type slutty behavior makes her fair game.

Pussy…

• Bastardo's Giant Quads

April 25, 2014 at 8:45 am

I didn’t see the comments you deleted, but I agree there’s a huge difference from funny and vulgar.

However, it can be both! I would have left up the vulgar ones that were funny and original (so maybe 1 if we’re lucky considering most commenters are shitty hacks).

There is no reason to be mean just to be mean. But there is a reason to be mean when it’s creative and funny.

That being said, if you don’t “police” all of the other awful vulgar shit that is also hack and unfunny, you shouldn’t police this one.

Don’t be a white knight.

3. Kyle, how do you watch games on your iPad? Can I do this w/o cable?

4. Vin is the best…this make me miss Harry.

5. Marky from Morrell Taven

April 24, 2014 at 11:41 am

Kyle should describe how & why the kacie comments were deleted?

6. We Want Answers!

April 24, 2014 at 11:53 am

All the people that support the site and buy the shirts and take the surveys deserve to know why the Kacie Comments were closed and deleted. Its an outrage!

7. TMac Eats Farts

April 24, 2014 at 11:54 am

HAWHAWHAW! I’m sorry if you don’t like my overly-loud generic broadcasting voice HAWHAWHAW! We’ll be back after the break with either Stairs or Moyer! Even I can’t tell them apart HAWHAWHAW! Every shirt I wear looks like a tight smedium HAWHAWHAW!

8. Calling Bullshit

April 24, 2014 at 11:57 am

Kyle, please stop posting bullshit stories about stupid ass maps and an 80 year old broadcaster on the other side of the country (I do, however, agree he is a legend) and give the people who give you all of the page views and buy the shirts and tell us why, with all of the graphic, vulgar shit that is posted on here about almost every sports/media personality in the region, that the Kacie thread was killed. It is really looks weak at this point.

9. Sheena's Hairy Asshole

April 24, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Kyle stop acting like the eagles front office & give us answers.

Did Kyle get a nasty graham email from kacie?

• Damn, girl. What the hell was Sheena thinking eating whatever that tofu stuff was the other night? It made you reek. Just because my team stunk didn’t mean you had to as well

10. Rufus P. Kegroom, Identifier of Meth Labs

April 24, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Is there going to be a t-shirt commemorating the KC thread debacle? Like, on the site it’s a picture of her face on the shirt, but when it comes in the mail it’s Vin Scully holding up a Facebook map?

11. Kacie's Mom has got it going on

April 24, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Kacie’s mom has got it going on
    She’s all I want
    And I have waited so long
    Kacie can’t you see
    Your just not the girl for me
    I know it might be wrong
    But I’m in love with Kacie’s mom

12. I thought they met in the closet that gay Cole won’t come out of.

13. Steve Mason's Upper Body

April 24, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Kyle, I think you should post another douchy video from your room of you reading and responding to everyone’s angry comments about you blocking Kacie comments, bro.

14. This really wasnt one of the Greatest Things Ever. Pretty lame post.

15. I weep when I hear an announcer like Scully and think about what we are stuck with!

16. Nothing like listening to an old fart ask a question, then answer his own friggin question 30 seconds later. He’s good, but comon, a fuckin queef after the gang bang records been broke is more soothing compared to mccarthy. Lets stop greasing scullys taint, franzke is no slouch either, especially compared to mccarthy.

17. Really not trying to troll…even though it kinda seems like I am

18. Seriously Kyle, taking the comments section down was weak. I know you were happy to get some love from her tweeting one of your shirts and you got off on it but many on this site cant stand her and need to give her a dose of reality. Next time leave the comments up or never mention that Mr. Ed looking midget again.

19. Currently in Vancouver Island, British Columbia (this place really is ‘beautiful’ as denoted on their license plates) for work and was fortunate enough to catch the Wednesday night Phils-Dodgers game on tv mixed in with all the nhl playoff hockey.

All I could think about the entire time was how fantastic of an announcer Vin Scully really is. A legend. Learned more from him in 5 innings than that clown McCarthy in 9 innings x 162 games a year.

Thanks for posting this article.