Reader Email: What Do You Think of My Customized “Trouty 27″ Phillies T-Shirt?

Voila_Capture 2014-05-06_10-05-37_AM

Email from reader Mike:

Kyle,

Huge fan of the blog. I know you’re very conservative when it comes to jersey violations, but I wanted to hear your opinion on the shirt I custom ordered for the upcoming Phils-Angels game.

I live in South Jersey, so the man crush is there with Trout, as it is with you and the majority of guys in the area. When I ordered this, I knew that it was probably a violation, but I went for it anyway. (Note that the website wouldn’t allow “Trout 27,” so I went with “Trouty” instead).

I feel like there are a few circumstances that help my case with the purchase: 1.) It’s Mike Trout. 2.) It’s just a shirt, not an expensive jersey. 3.) I’ll be able to say that I was (probably) the first to buy a Mike Trout Phillies shirt should he find his way back home one day. 4.) It’s Mike freakin’ Trout.

Just wanted to hear your opinion. I’ll be at the Tuesday game in right-center.

Keep doing what you’re doing.

-Mike (@Winless4Wiggins on Twitter)

We all have a man crush on Mike Trout. He’s 22, just signed a six-year, $144 million deal, and he might be the only player to love the Phillies more than his own team. And he’ll be in town next week, which means the hysteria surrounding his return will be out of control.

Dos:

Cheer for the kid.

Actively root for him to embarrass Jonathan Papelbon (one of the rare instances where you can wish for your own team to struggle).

Wear his Angels gear.

Dont’s:

Customize a Phillies jersey or t-shirt with Trout’s name.

Look, this was all fun to think about when the Angels offered Trout only a one-year deal. But now he’s locked up until 2020 (when he’ll only be 29) and there’s no chance that he becomes a Phillie anytime soon or probably ever. Rooting for the kid is completely acceptable, but lose the dream about him coming home and just enjoy his career from afar. Customizing Phillies wear with a non-Phillie is mixing church and state. You just don’t do it– it’s confusing to your fellow fan and upsetting to the elderly and disabled.

And more than anything, this shows the current interest level in the Phillies. Six or seven big-name players and fans are customizing t-shirts with the nickname of the Angels’ center fielder.

Ever since that post last night about the gas station attendant who wants to buy Mike Trout and 10 lucky fans burgers where I expressed my wonderment about Jim’s Burgers, I’ve received a ton of feedback– about Jim’s, its burgers, special sauce, and the quirky fact that they close from Memorial Day until COLUMBUS DAY. That, alone, is reason to check them out– any place that shuts down at absurd and random times, or for entire seasons, is guaranteed to have outstanding fare. It’s like how Charlie’s in Delco isn’t open on Tuesdays and, I think, occasionally shuts down for half the winter.*

Anyway, going to try Jim’s. It somehow didn’t make Glen Macnow’s Great Hamburger Hunt (which earned credibility with me the moment it placed Zac’s last), so I feel it needs some attention. Plus, it’s Trouty’s place.

*Going off memory here. Maybe I just tried three Tuesdays in a row and got really pissed off.

1. Charlie’s is now open on Tuesday’s, never was for years. My mind was blown the day I discovered this.

2. That shirt is a violation bo!

3. slippery slope. wearing another teams gear is more of a violation than putting whatever you want on the back (name on the front > name on the back).

Best bet = All Star or USA Mike Trout jersey.

4. Walter Sobchak

May 6, 2014 at 10:32 am

“Charlie’s in Delco isn’t open on Tuesdays and, I think, occasionally shuts down for half the winter.”

CHARLIES IS THE TRUTH

5. Bruno's Scooter

May 6, 2014 at 10:47 am

Mike Trout is 22 and has a family, goddammit….stop talking about him!

Oh, and the guy who had this shirt made is a tool.

6. Best Phillies coverage on the web

May 6, 2014 at 10:58 am

That thing is awful enough for Kyle to sell.
    If I see a dude in that shirt somebody’s getting punched.

• FREE KWAME!!!

May 6, 2014 at 11:12 am

Hanratty! Is that you?

• Ghost of Hanratty

May 6, 2014 at 11:14 am

Since Hanratty seems to have been killed off I will start posting as his ghost.

God help the idiot who shows up in MY HOUSE wearing that shirt, he’ll be dealt with Philly-style. Now get your retarded 240p vertically-oriented cell phones ready bitches.

7. embarrassed for this dude who made that shirt

8. Where can I get similar crotchless yoga pants to wear to the games?

9. In the city, there’s got to be some huge love for Barbuzzo’s Barbuzzo Burger (13th, between Drury & Sansom) and Bridget Foy’s (South St) Headhouse Market Burger.

10. Kacie's Bitch

May 6, 2014 at 11:19 am

Just remember people… Mike Trout is 22, he’s local and he has a family.

11. Brent Celek Thincinatti

May 6, 2014 at 11:30 am

Mike @WinlessforWiggins, you sir are a flaming homosexual. Trouty? You will get a beer dumped on you when I see you in right center on Tuesday.
    And Kyle, you can’t have wear his Angels gear as a do. “They are an AL team so I can root for them” F that bullcrap. You can get away with wearing a USA Trout jersey, and that’s it…maybe a All-Star jersey, as a post before mentioned.

• Take it easy on the guy. He seems like a young guy who has yet to be jaded by things such as life, this site, and Kacie-gate.

• After he gets his ass ripped on this site, he won’t be jaded anymore…..and he probably won’t get a douchey shirts made either.

12. First off — terrible shirt.

Second — what kind of Phillies fan are you when you encourage fans to cheer on Trout vs. Papelbon? Pap is a Grade A douche, but he’s still a Phillie. And if he’s in a game, it’s obviously a close one….so go ahead and ‘root’ for the Phillies to lose if you want (because that way Trouty can hear your cheers), I’ll keep being a real Phillies fan and cheer for my home team.

13. Lately I’ve been wondering if Kyle could possibly be more of an annoying faggot, and today I have my answer. Fuck Trout. He doesn’t play for us so I hope he blows a kneecap.

• We are Being Trolled

May 6, 2014 at 1:47 pm

He’s the guy that likes the team because of their uniforms, and his favorite player is the most adorbs.

14. One minute into listening to Skippy and Lippy and I already have a headache. Thank God for the mute button.

• The only reason these two nitwits have any audience is because Mike and Ike are 100 times worse…….And I won’t even start on Gargano.

I really wish 97.5 would go local with Bruno 6-10 (he sucks to, but everyone listens to Preston and Steve anyway, so…); Mayes and Kayal from 10-2,; Miss 2-6; and, if they insist on giving Skippy and Lippy a show, put them on at night so they can get cancelled for every Flyers and Sixers game.

15. Someone tell those bozos “Jon & Sean” to stop saying my name. Tools.

16. The Yellow King of Pink Vajays

May 6, 2014 at 12:24 pm

On an actual Phillies note, did anyone happen to catch the few minutes of the game last night where they piped in the sound from the Spanish broadcast? Because I did and it made me want to learn Spanish… Going back to Lamey, Mumblestache and Tits-Mac was doubly painful and boring after that.

17. This is exactly what happens when you raise the minimum wage, a fucktard purchase like this.

18. Geno Malkin's Ugly Communist Mug

May 6, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Is it acceptable to wear a Rasheed Wallace Sixers jersey or a Bobby Ryan Flyers jersey or a Matt Ryan Eagles jersey? This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. Definitely deserves to have a beer dumped on him.

19. Thinking of getting a Mike Richards Flyers T-Shirt made.

20. Also, just orderd a #76 PK SUBBAN Flyers Tshirt

21. step 3: make her open the box

May 6, 2014 at 12:57 pm

I would wear this shirt when it gets too hot for my Shea Weber Flyers jersey.

22. Something tells me old Kacie “Smarty Jones” McDonell will be creeping around the Angels hotel looking for Trout. Hopefully there is a thunderstorm and she gets spooked and gallops back to her stable.

• Smarty Jones

May 6, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Please do not associate me with this horse tooth, fake tit, can’t read a teleprompter, jock sniffing twat.

Thank You.

23. Daryl the Horse Expert

May 6, 2014 at 1:31 pm

My horse would not even eat carrots of this garbage shirt! He says Nay and so do I!

24. We are Being Trolled

May 6, 2014 at 1:45 pm

You would actually want to root against Paps? Are you an idiot, Kyle? You’re either trolling us, or you don’t know baseball. The only reason Paps would be in there is in a save oppurtunity, and you would actually root against the Phils?

This is the worst Pro-Phils blog out there. Either that, or you are jsut trying to drum up conversation and hate in your comments. More comments = More people = more money, right Kyle? money, money, money, man-crush, money, man-crush, money, repeat.

• That dude who made that shirt is a loser for life who lives in his parents basement. Why would you root against paps kyle. He is a real man and a phillie. Mike trout is the enemy and should booed accordingly.

25. Kyle's Scott

May 6, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Ouch…the only thing gayer than that shirt is, well…anything that Kyle puts his name on.

Queer-ass, kelly green jerzees sweatshirt anyone?