Full Opening Day schedule after the jump.
H/T to reader Steve Lingle for the "Doc" logo
• phl 17, ESPN, WPHT 1210 AM, and WUBA 1480 AM (Spanish). Opening Day ceremonies will stream live on phillies.com.
• Majestic Clubhouse Store opens. Hot off the press: New Phillies magazine featuring the Phillies starting rotation on the front cover.
• All gates open. All fans will receive a 2'x3' replica of the 2010 National League East Champions Pennant (that will fly above Ashburn Alley all season), compliments of Modell's Sporting Goods.
• Opening Day Block Party, Citizens Bank Way: Plenty of music featuring Philly Funk Authority, as well as food and fun!
• Phillies batting practice.
• Astros batting practice.
• Fans urged to be in their seats for Lead-off Walk Into the Ballpark: The Cardinal O'Hara High School Marching Band will lead the 2011 Phillies into the ballpark via a 10th Street entrance.
• America the Beautiful will be sung by the Philadelphia Boys Choir and Men's Chorale, as members of the Pennsylvania Army and Air National Guard unfurl a large American flag. State flags will be carried onto the field by Philadelphia Police and Fire Department personnel.
• Introductions – Astros
• Introductions – Phillies
• Moment of Silence: In memory of those who lost their lives from the recent earthquake and tsunami in Japan.
• Moment of Silence: In memory of Phillies Owners Whip and Jim Buck, who passed away last October and March, respectively.
•National Anthem: Will be sung by the Philadelphia Boys Choir and Men's Chorale.
• An F-15E Strike Eagle fighter aircraft will perform the Air Force's first flyover using "green" biofuel. The aircraft will be among four jets taking part; all are from the 335th Fighter Squadron – Seymour Johnson Air Force Base in Goldsboro, NC.
• The Leap Frogs, the U.S. Navy parachute team, will parachute onto the field, bringing the first ball.
• Ceremonial First Pitch: Will be thrown by Jim Gabel, President, Reebok North America representing Modell's Sporting Goods.
• Play Ball!
• God Bless America, performed by Lauren Hart. Pilots from flyover will dance with the Phanatic on the dugout.
First pitch thrown out by Jim Gabel?
Dude, the President of Reebok is throwing first pitch? C’Mon, dude, this isn’t Yankee Stadium and the evil corporate empire. I think we can do a little better than that! Where’s the heart? Where’s the former players or stand-up citizens? Where is the love??..ehh, on second thought, screw it. Least it’s not Nutter. Hope Reebok doesn’t tuck the jersey in.
Speaking of Nutter, the DC mayor was booed at yesterday’s Nationals’ opener: http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/sports/dc-mayor-vincent-gray-booed-at-nationals-season-opener-033111
Yes Kyle, money does talk. And it sounds like “flap flap flap”. Unless if we’re talking coins, cause they go “clink clank clink”.
With the politics of local constituencies, the need to keep the many politicians employed (current office holders are unlikely to downsize themselves out of a job), and the apathy of voters (15% of our registered voters turned out this month to elect the city commission) that allow government to function at the status quo, I see little chance that anyone in our pluralistic government infrastructure will take action. Even the budgetary crisis of today seems to have little effect on getting the bureaucracy to change. Instead of reforming burgeoning government, the political power structure would rather eliminate the directs by firing teachers, police and fire fighters, eliminate food stamps for the needy or medical care for poor children.
Comments are closed.