Morning Wood: Pissing into the Wind

Screen Shot 2011-09-16 at 8.56.40 AM

Wow.

From yesterday’s Wood:

Before yesterday’s game, their numbers were very similar- same ERA and innings pitched, and many other numbers that were nearly identical. One thoroughbred briefly inched ahead in the Cy Young race:

Roy Halladay: 219.2 IP, 2.34 ERA, 211 K, 30 BB, 1.04 WHIP, 8 CG, 1 SO

Cliff Lee: 210.2, 2.44 ERA, 211 K, 42 BB, 1.03 WHIP, 6 CG, 6 SO

Today, Clifton Phifer will have a chance to equal Doc. Should he throw another complete game shutout, they will once again have the same number of innings pitched and an identical ERA.

He came. Oh. So. Close.

With two outs in the eighth inning, our Steed dropped a 75 mph hook on Emilio Bonifacio that gave just a little smooch to the outside corner of home plate. It was Lee’s 11th strikeout of the night (he would end with 12), and sent him into the ninth inning with a chance to throw his seventh shutout of the season. Sadly, with two outs and two strikes, Jose Lopez would smoke a high cutter into the left field seats.

Wow.

Cliff couldn't muster up his usual whatever, just wow. Tie game. A brilliant stream of excellence cut-off with two outs in the ninth- the second time that’s happened to Lee this season.

Some Tweets I received around 10 PM:

Screen Shot 2011-09-16 at 9.04.58 AM
Screen Shot 2011-09-16 at 9.04.58 AM
Screen Shot 2011-09-16 at 9.04.58 AM

A pony weeps.

What's odd here is that for the first time I can ever remember, fans would rather see a pitcher finish off a game instead of a walk-off double. That's what happens when you have like five aces. It’s all about the W, though. Wow led to a walk-off win, the Phillies' second victory of the day. Whatever.

Highlights of his performance here. Lee talked about his misadventure after the game. Video via Calkins Media:

His line: 9 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 12 SO, 0 BB, 88-of-117 pitches for strikes. His 0.56 ERA over his last eight starts is the lowest ever by a Phillies pitcher over any 8-start span in one season, and the lowest by a pitcher on any team since Pedro Martinez did it in 2002. That’s excellent.

In the 10th, The Big Piece took his WAR and, once again, shoved it down the throats of the SABR nerds. His walk-off double scored Michael Martinez and allowed Michael Schwimer to get his first win just hours after yelling at me for spelling his name wrong.

With a Braves loss and a Phillies win tonight, the Phillies can clinch their fifth straight division title. Wow.

John Gonzalez writes about seven questions the Phils need to answer.

Jim McCormick writes about getting the bullpen sharp for October.

John Miller says we should laugh at the Philly haters.

This guy:

Screen Shot 2011-09-16 at 8.58.05 AM

Finally, I was on 94 WIP last night with Big Daddy Graham. We talked Roenick, Tweeting athletes, and Schwimer’s dig at yours truly. You can listen to it after the jump.

Big daddy audio by crossingbroad

• b September 16, 2011 at 9:18 am

Howard should be the MVP.
    Look at his HR and RBI and that his team will win 100 games and is the best in the MLB.
    Enough about Fielder and the loser Brewers.
    This national media needs to start to wake up on how great this team is.

• Adam September 16, 2011 at 9:27 am

@b, i have had enough of fat turd fielder too, but i think the problem with howard getting MVP is that our team is TOO good… it could be argued that we could still find a way to win the division or at least the wild card without Howard, due to our pitching(true or not it WILL be argued), but i feel the same about fielder, the brewers rotation is no joke and fielder has another MVP candidate on his team in Braun….

• MM September 16, 2011 at 9:33 am

At this point in the season I’ll take a character building win over a complete game shutout. There was no way the fish were gonna get an out in the tenth. Good to see that passion from the bench. Wheres the Black pony? Cracka ass Cracka!

• iwj514 September 16, 2011 at 9:40 am

Have I mentioned how awesome it is that he includes pictures so I can be visually stimulated as I am mentally stimulated at the same time… its like a stimulation orgy.

• MooreStar September 16, 2011 at 9:44 am

It was like some A Hole hit that “Extend The Game Button” at Buffalo Wild Wings.

• marrrk September 16, 2011 at 9:45 am

I love RyRy as much as the next guy but you’re out of your minds if you think he should get within sniffing distance of the MVP race. i’m not a SABR guy at all, trust me, but in this case i have to agree that his 2011 HR/RBI totals are not reflective of an MVP season.
    man, i am cranky this morning. must be hangover from how annoying every fan sitting behind both dugouts were last night. did anyone else catch that? there were a half a dozen clowns on each side, in perfect camera view, who never stopped mugging from the first inning to the last.
    jerks.

• ed September 16, 2011 at 9:47 am

You could at least credit @buccigross for your stat about Cliff’s ERA over 8 games.

• marrrk September 16, 2011 at 9:48 am

alright, had my coffee, cheered up…
    HOWARD for MVP!!!

• JMac September 16, 2011 at 9:49 am

they need to scores some EFFing runs – move a runner now and then
    they played into gale force winds last night and doosh after doosh kept trying to go yard
    is there a hitting coach on this team
    ???

• Wendy September 16, 2011 at 10:12 am

Pissing Interruptus. Poor Pony.
    @marrrk. I was commenting to my boyfriend the same thing. Did these a-holes actually watch the game?? annoying and I had my coffee.

• tofoomeister September 16, 2011 at 10:13 am

@MooreStar: Nice. I LOL’d.

• mikebiff September 16, 2011 at 10:14 am

I would love to see Howard win MVP, but it’s not gonna happen. Not that one is necessary for the other, but just out of curiosity, has anyone ever won MVP after a season when they weren’t even in the All-Star Game(and weren’t injured)?

• MarrrkFedeli September 16, 2011 at 10:25 am

@Wendy i just sat there pissed off that i couldn’t ignore them. that’s my method for when people annoy me; i put the blame back on myself for caring.

• Nick T September 16, 2011 at 10:25 am

Ed – do you really think Buccigross came up with that statistic himself? Or more likely he had a staff nerd do the math and figure the stats for him? Does Bucci then have to give cred to his personal math slaves?

• jill September 16, 2011 at 10:27 am

I told you a few days ago that you were spelling Schwimer’s name wrong. I thought you might have wanted to get it right.

• mikebiff September 16, 2011 at 10:47 am

Disregard my previous comment, it’s happened at least once before..

• Dwayne September 16, 2011 at 12:21 pm

take that SABR nerd… who said howard ain’t clutch???

• Paco September 16, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Where was Howard shoving his WAR when he went 3 for 21 over the last seven games with 8 strike outs?
    The fact is that ANYONE batting in that position in last night’s game who is better at getting on base (read: anyone not named Raul) would have driven in that run.
    Anyone who thinks that Ryan Howard is the NL MVP is an idiot.