Your Monday Morning Roundup: Season Saved Edition
I tuned to talk radio while driving last night. It was about four hours after the Eagles game had concluded and I was somewhere between nice win, still some things to work on, but any road win is great and the Redskins are terrible and with even an adequate quarterback would have won 35-20.
I was leaning much closer to the latter.
Apparently, not everyone – at least not the talk radio callers – share that view. There was much discussion about the Eagles being the best team in the NFC East, running the table from here on out, a “huge” win, etc. etc. etc… I’m sorry– did I miss something? The Eagles beat the Redskins in what was the regular season football equivalent of Game 5 of the NLDS. A loss would have ended the season (perhaps with Michael Vick blowing up his Achilles in a show a solidarity with the baseball team), and a win wasn’t to be cause for celebration– just relief.
That’s what we have: relief. Yes, Virginia, there will still be a football season… after this two week black hole in Philly sports.
Rex Grossman is awful, I don’t need to tell you that. And while the Eagles defense took advantage of their opportunities, the offense failed to score any points in the second half. Had the Eagles been playing a team with capable wide receivers, a human quarterback, and a non-Kyle Shanahan offense, they would have lost the game. So let’s all just pump the brakes before buying our playoff tickets– the Eagles are 2-4 and lucked their way into a seven-point win against the Redskins. They still have a long, long way to go.
Also worth mentioning: Pan Am on ABC is awful. Ms. CB and I have tried for four weeks now, and as best we can tell, this is the plot:_________.
Nothing happens. Ever.
A group of bubble gum cute (but not slutty enough to be interesting) flight attendants travel the globe with the same pair of too young and debonair to be flying international flights pilots. Two of the flight attendants are free spirits, one thinks she’s Katherine Hepburn, one is a spy (really), and the pilots are borderline drunks. They run around in front of a green screen for 55 minutes, cry, hug… annnnd scene. That’s it. Thanks, ABC.
A Couple of quick notes:
– Our friends at Drinker’s have awesome Eagles and Flyers specials. Get $1 hot dogs and $6 pitchers every Sunday until 8 PM. And during Flyers games, get $1 hot dogs and $3 Jager shots.
– Philly Phaithful is quickly selling through their brand-new line of Flyers t-shirts, including their Bryz, Jagr, Timonen, and Broad Street Broad shirts. Get them right here.
– John Mayberry Jr. will be signing autographs tomorrow night at BC Sports in the King of Prussia Mall from 6-7:30. Get details here.
– Mike Richards returned. I was there.
– Adam Reigner applies for the defensive consultant position.
– Bill Lyon, legend, writes about Shady McCoy.
– Here’s the new Flyers Chemistry video being played at games.
– The Philadelphia Soul are having tryouts this Saturday. Details:
What: Philadelphia Soul Tryouts
When: Saturday October 22nd, registration begins at 8 am,stretching begins at 9 am
Where: Philadelphia Eagles' NovaCare Complex
– A new site, Ajungo, allows you to find other fans at sporting events and share photos with others in attendance.
– I don't like him even a little bit, but Crashburn Alley has a good take on the Phillies' bullpen, saying that spending a ton of money on a "big name" closer isn't worth it.
– Philly Sports History is reliving the 1911 World Series… in real-time!
– Our old friend Steve Whyno on Kurt Coleman's ridiculous day.
– The Girls of the SEC Playboy was released and it is good. Also, NSFW.
– Darryl Tapp is accused of a dirty play and Asanta Samuel is a “tough motherfucker.”