Relax, Jose Reyes Most Likely Wasn’t in Philly to Meet with the Phillies

Kyle Scott - November 30, 2011

image from mobilwi.typepad.com

Let’s speculate!

Yes, Jose Reyes was in Philadelphia yesterday. No, he wasn’t meeting with the Phillies. Probably.

According to some folks on the Tweets, Reyes was seen in and around the city, an assertion confirmed by our friend Dan Gross of Philly.com:

Screen Shot 2011-11-30 at 10.45.08 AM

Never mind that odd reality– the obvious jump to conclusion is that Reyes was meeting with the Big Poker himself, Ruben Amaro. But not so fast, says Jayson Stark:

Screen Shot 2011-11-30 at 10.45.22 AM

If that’s not enough, David Murphy received word from the highest of cheeses, who told him that Reyes was not meeting with the Phils:

Screen Shot 2011-11-30 at 10.45.15 AM

Apparently, Reyes knocked up a woman in Philadelphia (guessing it’s not the only city), and he was in town visiting. Seems reasonable. But I’m not convinced that the Phillies aren’t interested in him.

Think about this for a second: Last year at this time, Cliff Lee was a pipe dream. Two years ago, trading for Roy Halladay was outside the realm of possibility. Ruben has a knack for doing the improbable. What’s more (and what makes more sense), the Phillies need a shortstop (if Jimmy walks), preferably a fast one who gets on base, hits for average, and is a bonafide top-of-the-order hitter. In a vacuum, devoid of douchiness and a fruity GQ spreads, Reyes makes perfect sense for the Phillies. He might be too expensive… but then again, are we really sure about that, either?

If the Phillies were meeting with Reyes, would they tell anyone? No, of course not. The only reason they were able to land Lee last winter was because Ruben and Scott Proefrock operated with the stealthiness of SEAL Team Six. The last thing Big Poker is going to do is broadcast his hot stove stunts.

UPDATE: Stark just tweeted that Phillies officials said "not a guy for us," "absolutely nuts," "such bull." Translation: Deal done by Friday.

• iwj514 November 30, 2011 at 11:01 am

I bet the previously mention Six Pack bet on this fact. Jose Reyes will be Big Pokers next move.
    Also I love anytime a SEAL Team Six reference can be used. Warms my heart with Patriotism.

• MM November 30, 2011 at 11:10 am

he was here getting some follow-up pussy…that’s all.

• Huh? November 30, 2011 at 11:19 am

Where’s your coverage of the Syracuse (and ESPN) scandal? Or you don’t hate them like you hate Penn State?

• J.T. November 30, 2011 at 11:20 am

I don’t know if it was yesterday or not, but the Phils have met/will meet with Reyes. If they didn’t, RAJ wouldn’t be doing his job. You have a position to fill, you explore ALL options, no matter how small the chances of signing the guy might be.

• Scott Kyle November 30, 2011 at 11:24 am

What a paper team the Phillies would be if this were to happen.

• FACE November 30, 2011 at 11:26 am

Reyes is injury prone and is a douche canoe. No thanks, not worth the $.
    Re-sign Jimmy!

• MVS November 30, 2011 at 11:26 am

For God’s sake, please don’t sign the over-hyped, oft-injured, clubhouse cancer Jose Reyes. I don’t want him or Rollins. I actually like Japanese import Hiroyuki Nakajima, if they can get him for the right price.

• J.T. November 30, 2011 at 11:29 am

Do you think Reyes is a clubhouse cancer, or the clubhouse was the cancer that spread to Reyes? I’m pretty sure it might be the latter. In the Phils clubhouse, I don’t think he’d be allowed to pull that diva shit like he did (and seemed to be welcomed) in NY. I think the rest of the Phils would let him know real quick how it’s done.
    I still highly doubt the deal gets done, but I wouldn’t be opposed.

• Miles November 30, 2011 at 11:32 am

One of the main knocks on Rollins is that he is getting old and has become a bit injury prone. Reyes is young and injury prone. Just imagine what he will be like in 3 years. I’m not paying a guy 100 million who can’t ever put together a full season. Sign Rollins to a shorter deal or look for other alternatives…

• Michael Saunders November 30, 2011 at 11:39 am

sign reyes but make him wear condoms

• Andy (San Diego) November 30, 2011 at 11:43 am

Rather have the Phils acquire Wright than Reyes.

• Mikebiff November 30, 2011 at 11:51 am

The thought of Reyes at the top of the Phils order gets my nipples hard

• Michael Saunders November 30, 2011 at 11:58 am

either way I hope J Roll leaves

• John November 30, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I’m all for signing him, when he’s healthy he’s arguably the best shortstop in the game. 5 years guaranteed with a 6 year option that brings it to $100 million. Doubt he would go for it but I wouldn’t mind that deal.

• rosenhausofpain November 30, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Fuck Reyes. Bunt single for batting title then sits down. Pussy.

• Faber November 30, 2011 at 12:57 pm

• fcskills November 30, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Rather have Reyes than Papplefuck any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Sorry I just dont harbor the hatred for him that most people around here do – the guy’s performance is what we want J-Roll’s to be, except J-Roll with never hit like this guy can. Period

• Larry David November 30, 2011 at 1:44 pm

reyes is a natural leadoff hitter unlike j lazy

• whowa November 30, 2011 at 2:11 pm

“Id rather have the injury prone 28 year old who bats .330 and steals bases than the 33 year old injury prone SS that bats .265” bingo

• Joe November 30, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I would take Jose Reyes at .290 over Jimmy Rollins at .250 any day of the week.

• Retro Jordan Sale November 30, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I would take Jose Reyes at .290 over Jimmy Rollins at .250 any day of the week.

• discount nike shox December 1, 2011 at 6:52 am