Photo: Michael Barkann
One year ago at this hour, we found out that there was a third, mystery team involved with Cliff Lee. Today? A roundup of nonsensical baseball links.
– As you can see up above, Ruben Amaro looks like he just finished up a 12-hour bender. That, or him and Jimmy Rollin’s agent, Dan Lozano, had a powwow at Cheerleaders. Perhaps both.
Anyway, Rube was a guest on WIP today with Mike and Ike today. Quite honestly, he looks like shit– but we’ll assume that’s because he’s working on another December surprise not named Dontrelle Willis.
– Jayson Stark reports that Lozano now says he’s having dialogue with a second team about Rollins. Other clubs believe that team is the Tigers. This could be true, or Lozano could be making the whole thing up in order to gain negotiation leverage since no other teams are interested in J-Roll™.
More Jimmy: According to Philly.com’s Dan Gross, Rollins chowed down on the “Big Rube” at Slice the other day. The sandwich was named after a Daily News writer, but we’ll go ahead and assume that there’s a hidden meeting in all of this… or that it was named after Reuben Frank.
– The now single Derek Jeter is banging chicks at an alarming rate. That’s to be expected. So is his move of calling his conquests a car in the morning (that was a staple of Pat Burrell). But what wasn’t expected is Jeter’s (now patented?) calling card: Not only does Jete Spot – always wanted to call him that, and now seems like the appropriate time – pay the transportation costs for his lady friends, but he also leaves them a goodie bag in the car.
Take it away, New York Post:
“Derek has girls stay with him at his apartment in New York, and then he gets them a car to take them home the next day. Waiting in his car is a gift basket containing signed Jeter memorabilia, usually a signed baseball,” the friend dished.
“This summer, he ended up hooking up with a girl who he had hooked up with once before, but Jeter seemed to have forgotten about the first time and gave her the same identical parting gift, a gift basket with a signed Derek Jeter baseball,” the pal said.
“He basically gave her the same gift twice because he’d forgotten hooking up with her the first time!”
Oh sweet Jesus, that’s awesome. The memorabilia amounts to a parting gift which says “I just fucked Derek Jeter.” And let’s be honest, that isn’t a bad parting gift for a young lassie.
The real question is, do other athletes do this? Would Bryz leave behind a compass and nesting dolls? Does Jagr leave a signed photo of himself saluting? Does DeSean Jackson get his women a car with the middle seat blocked off? Did Freddie Mitchell just drop his off the balcony? I would truly love to know.
– Dontrelle Willis is a master tweeter. You can follow him right here:
With that being said I'm fired up be with the fighting phillies and looking forward to this season #phillies
— Dontrelle Willis (@D_Train35) December 13, 2011
The Marlins may want to get cracking on that whole stadium thing: via Joe Capozzi
– Finally, Drew and I spoke with new Phillie Frank Gailey on Broad Street Radio today. The Manayunk-area native talked about being traded to the hometown Phillies. You can listen to that interview after the jump (5:00 mark).