"Absolutely 100 percent false. Unless you know for sure that’s the reason, I was there an hour before the lineup was even up and I was already like that. For him to make an accusation like that, he should be held accountable; something should be done. It had nothing to do with anything that was going on the field, or hitting seventh, or anything like that.
That was my point. One person made a [bleepin’] false statement. That’s the problem with social media, and it pisses me off. It’s all over the news … fans thinking I’m sitting because I (complained about) hitting seventh. That’s not me. You know that. I’ve batted first through [bleeping] seventh all throughout my career. I’ve always played. I’ve never ever complained about that. So that’s what pissed me off even more about that day. Now the whole baseball world, and fans think I’m this crybaby – and I’ve never been that guy. That’s what pisses me off. That stuff should be held accountable; he can write whatever he wants."
That guy would be Delco Times editor Rob Parent, who apologized for, but never removed this Tweet: [from last weekend]
Let’s hit it.
But first, a word from our sponsors:
– TGIF QUIZZO. Wednesday night. Drinker’s Tavern in Old City. 8 p.m. I’m hosting and you’re playing. Full details here.
– BC Sports is your one-stop shop for Eagles memorabilia. Get everything from signed pictures to jerseys. Shop here.
– Buy 2, Get 1 FREE at Philly Phaithful’s summer t-shirt sale. Get them here.
– Sixers rookie Xavier Silas continues to recover from a nasty concussion suffered in a summer league game on Friday. He had surgery on Saturday to “fuse several sinus fractures.” You can view video of his injury here. Evan Turner, tweeting a screenshot of a text message, clearly doesn’t know how to spell his teammate's name. via (@markmcgeever)
– Score one (three?) for these girl’s softball jerseys, sent to us by reader Kathy. I wonder if the Gagne’d girl was later traded away a year too early and went on to win the championship with a beer league team stacked with former mates?
– Ozzie Guillen freaked out at douchebag Bryce Harper this weekend, calling him “unprofessional” over a pine tar complaint: [Boston Herald]
"I was just telling (Harper) how cute he was," Guillen joked. "Something happened the inning before and I don’t like it. I could say a lot of (expletive) about this kid. I’ve been praising this kid 3-4 times they ask me about him. I say he’s a great player. What he did today was unprofessional.”
"I’m going to leave it like that and talk to his manager in a little while."
Here’s grainy video. via (@dcsportsbog)
I’ll side with the bag here.
– Here are 150 photos from Sixers dance team auditions held last week.
– CHMM: Hamels pitched yesterday: 8 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 7 K, 1 BB. +3 million.
Cole Hamels Millions Meter: $149 million.
– There’s one team the Phillies should, under no circumstances, trade Hamels– the Dodgers. But, per a report from Danny Knobler on CBS Sports yesterday, that’s the latest team interested in trading for Cole: [CBS Sports]
Yes, they're interested, but they appear to be something of a longshot to make a deal with the Phillies. The Dodgers have spoken to the Phillies about Hamels, sources said Sunday, but the Phillies aren't thrilled with the players the Dodgers could offer in return.
The Dodgers remain aggressive in their pursuit of both starting pitching and hitting. Their need for pitching may have become more urgent with the news Sunday that Chad Billingsley will have an MRI on his right elbow.
Cole may never get back on that plane in LA.
– Phillies minor leaguer Jiwan James had the number one play on SportsCenter yesterday with this catch:
– According to ESPN sources, the Joe Paterno statue will stand. For now.
– Pictures from Olympic Village, where sex is frequent.
– KicksOnFire.com put together an Allen Iverson sneaker retrospective.
– And speaking of sneakers… our fashion editor Dan Fuller was sent a pair of counterfeit sneakers by an eBay user. His filed complaint is hilarious… or completely sad. You judge.