What would you say if, a year ago today, I told you that emails indicating further knowledge from Joe Paterno of boys getting raped at Penn State would be revealed, Cliff Lee would be winless in July (and mostly healthy), the Flyers would re-sign Michael Leighton, Mike Richards and Jeff Carter would win the Stanley Cup (together), Carlos Ruiz would be leading the league in hitting, Jim Thome would be signed and later traded by the Phillies, and Cole Hamels would be on the block?
You’d tell me I’m fucking nuts, right?
But I’m not nuts (OK, maybe a little)– that all happened. Most of it, this weekend.
Let’s hit it.
But first, a word from our sponsors:
– Be sure to visit Drinker’s Philadelphia locations. Normally, we use this spot to tell you how great of a place it is to watch summer Phillies games. But we won’t lie: there is no good place to watch the Phillies right now. If you watched the Phillies at a massage parlor drinking a bottle of free tequila and feasting on high-end steak, watching the Phillies still wouldn’t be an enjoyable experience. BUT GOOD NEWS: Drinker’s has cheap drinks, delicious hot dogs, tacos and wings, and enough TVs to make you want to keep drinking as the Phillies explode before your very eyes. Location details here.
– As we turn our sights to football season, be sure to visit BC Sports for all your Eagles memorabilia. Everything from jerseys to signed pictures can be found here.
– Buy 2, Get 1 FREE on Philly Phaithful t-shirts. Support the local team (or K Lot) and stay cool in these American Apparel t-shirts. Two of them, for the price of one. Shop here.
– The Flyers re-signed Michale Leighton to a one-year, $900,000 deal yesterday and reportedly made $80 million offers to Zach Parise and Ryan Suter. Our running commentary continues today. If it happens, it's here (that's our cheesy cable news tagline given to our live blog clusterfuck).
– CNN uncovers emails detailing additional involvement from Joe Paterno.
– New York Times hammers Joe Pa.
– Using some fuzzy math, ESPN still thinks the Phillies could make the playoffs.
– Scientologists are tailing Katie Holmes. Unfortunately, it’s not her tail we’re talking about (wouldn’t matter, because Tom ruined it, anyway). That matter, the subject of my best Tweet ever:
Tom to Suri: "I'm divorcing your mom." Suri: "I found 7 marriage counselors near you. Or did you want to search the web for beard trimmers?"
— Kyle Scott (@CrossingBroad) June 29, 2012
– drops mic –
– Philly bank robber rocking throwback Phillies cap.
– Nastia Lukin faceplanted during last night’s Olympic trials.