Congrats, Cliff…. everybody gets one… at home. (Photo: USA Today)
Okay, so maybe that's a little pessimistic given what the Phillies accomplished this weekend… maybe it's the rain or something. More on that in a second.
But first, a word from our sponsors:
- See intense MMA action up close and personal. Get tickets to see the New Breed Fighters on September 8 at the Tower Theater. They start as low as $30.
- On that same day, September 8, meet Carlos Ruiz at the Sports Vault in the King of Prussia Mall from 11-1.
- If you haven't held your live fantasy football draft, it isn't too late to host it at Drinker's West (39th and Chestnut). For just $20 a person, you can drink all the domestic drafts you want while stuffing your face with as many wings and tacos as possible. Better than all of that, they have free WiFi, which means you can use more than your outdated fantasy football draft magazine and iPhone to make a decent pick.
- Speaking of Drinker's West, there will be an NHL '12 tournament on Tuesday, September 11th at 8:00 pm. Winner gets a copy of the brand new NHL 13, which will be released that day. Just show up beforehand to sign up.
- Get in on our free Week 1 fantasy football freeroll at Draft Street. We’re giving away $300 in cash prizes, with the top 15 finishers winning money. As always, it’s totally FREE to play.
- Finally, our buddies at Philly Phaithful have a whole new line of Eagles gear for the upcoming season. And… if you haven't bought the "Dallas Sucks" Wheel of Fortune-style t-shirt… frankly, I don't know what the hell you're doing.
Back to the Phils… there's a lot of good you can take from a four-game winning streak, but many of you are thinking about where this was all season long. The Phillies are still 16.5 games back in the NL East despite taking three in a row from the division's top team… but here's something that will potentially get you unnecessarily riled up.
9.5 games isn't insurmountable. The Tampa Bay Rays earned a playoff bid coming back from a nine-game deficit just last year. By my calculations, the Phillies would probably have to go something like 26-8 to have a real shot. That's asking a lot from a team who gives so many ties and leads away in the eighth inning, but anything is possible, right?
At this point, I'll take .500.
- Flyers prospect Nick Cousins is in hot water after he was charged with sexual assault this weekend in Ontario.
- Flight Night was last night, and it was largely uneventful. And no one, including Stewart Bradley tore their ACL this time. Memories.
- Mike Vick doesn't think he's prone to injury… let me repeat that… Mike Vick doesn't think he's prone to injury.
- Philly.com is not asking if, but WHEN Nick Foles will become the Eagles starting quarterback, certainly adding fuel to an already ridiculous fire.
- The Uganda Little League team will play in the Philadelphia area tomorrow, because Jimmy Rollins said so.
- Joe Buck, your favorite person to hate on Sundays, is growing facial hair, giving you yet another unjustified reason to maintain your hatred.
- Finally, T.O. had this to say yesterday… I guess three dropped balls in three preseason games will do this to you…
I'm no longer a Seahawk. I THANK the organization 4 the opportunity, I'm truly blessed beyond belief. My FAITH is intact & will NOT waiver.
— Terrell Owens (@terrellowens) August 26, 2012
I think I'm finally starting to have a bit of sympathy for him… maybe. Happy Monday, folks.
You can follow Ryan Gillon on Twitter @SeriouslyRyan.
I’m just as disappointed in the Phillies as everyone else is and I think that we’ll end up 3rd in the Wild Card standings and miss the playoffs by like 3 games (cause that’s our luck) but I do have to say I’m glad that I can watch them again and not get chest pains from anger. They are at least finishing the season with a little respect for the fans and didn’t just pack it in when they could have.
Also I think this whole Foles thing is awesome. Vick now knows that he is gonna have someone who can play breathing down his neck and that just like the fans turned on Kevin Kolb, they will turn on Vick if they smell blood in the water. This could help Vick elevate his game and make smarter choices if he knows he is only one hit away from losing his job.
The better stat would be that the Cards were 10.5 GB on August 25th last year.
I love how your hating on a bunch of kids that are learning to play baseball from Uganda….Bunch of whiny HATERS!
Bob- stay off this site
By next Monday we’ll know if this glimmer of hope has faded or not. Three aginst the Braves in Atl will be telling.
Jim, who the eff is Amonte? tony amonte, or Phillip Aumont?
Haha yeah got the kids name wrong but yes that guy…
worst case scenerio..we fight, scratch, and claw to win the 2nd wildcard spot..and then lose in the one game playoff
The season is over,too little too late.
Well really the worst case scenario is that the Phils return to pre-All-Star Break form and finish the season 15 games under .500
The phillies have never had a wild card berth in their franchise history. I still find that kind of weird.
Comments are closed.