Somehow we’re already at that point where it feels like spring training has been going on forever. Strangely, though, due to a slightly earlier start and the World Baseball Classic that you probably aren’t watching, we’re still three weeks away from real, actual baseball. Thankfully, March Madness heats up this week and should carry us through.
Let’s hit it!
But first, a word from our sponsors:
– Thanks to that MAJOR SNOWSTORM WE DIDN’T GET LAST WEEK, Jim Carrey Quizzo at Drinker’s Tavern had to be postponed until this Wednesday at 8:30. Details here. And get .75 Miller High Lifes every Thursday at Lucy’s.
– Be sure to check out Bernie Parent earlier that same evening as he joins Bill Clement at the Chickie’s and Pete’s in Audubon at 6 p.m. for “Hockey World,” which airs on 1490 WCBC. I'll also be hosting Sports Movie Quizzo Thursday at 8 p.m. at the Chickie's and Pete's in Drexel Hill.
– As we said above, March Madness kicks off this week and there is no better place for winners than GodFatherLocks.com. Be sure to follow them on Twitter (@GodFatherLocks) for daily picks. These guys are a great sponsor and even better picker. I’d highly advise you to stick with them throughout the month. You can get 30% off a weekly subscription by entering code “Crossing.”
- Meet Simon Gagne this Saturday at the Sports Vault in the King of Prussia Mall from 4:30 – 6. Details and tickets here.
– Naked local girls that you may know, who are naked, not wearing anything, being just so very naked. Check out Girls of Philly. This link is suitable for work.
– Monkey’s Uncle in Doylestown has an awesome selection of retro Phillies and Flyers gear. Or shop online and use code BROAD to get $10 off orders of $50 or more.
– Our newest sponsor, Tour Golf Revolution allows you to play competitive golf just like the PGA pros. Compete against friends and strangers with similar handicaps to see where you rank on the local leaderboard. Very cool service worth checking out.
– Reader Murph spotted a loon… again with his Ferrari, again at a gas station, and again with his grey hoodie:
Mitchell pleaded guilty in federal court in Orlando, Fla., Friday to a single count of conspiracy to file a false claim. He faces a maximum prison sentence of 10 years and a maximum fine of $250,000.
Prosecutors say Mitchell and two others concocted a scheme that involved filing a false tax return on behalf of another professional athlete.
– Tyson Gillies went apeshit during the Mexico-Canada brawl.
– Must-watch DeAndre Jordan dunk. Play of the year, and it won’t even be close.
– Philly.com has scenes from Erin Express, which is just another way of saying a bunch of pictures of hot red-faced coeds giving you F-me stares.
– Charlie Manuel was hit by a tricycle yesterday (is there video of this somewhere?): [Philly.com]
The Astros, like most teams, organize gimmicky in-between innings contests. One of them was a two-man tricycle race from dugout to dugout, along the warning track.
"I saw him coming," Manuel said. "I thought, 'We better get over.' He got me. Big ol' three-wheeler."
The tricycle ran over Manuel's toes. The manager jumped up to avoid further contact. Everyone around him, including Dubee and Billmeyer, could not stop laughing.
– TOPAGNA IN MAXIM. OH MY GOD TOPANGA IN MAXIM.
– Finally, Wayne Simmonds crushing Mike Weber: