Scouts Continue to Think the Phillies Stink

Photo credit: Howard Smith-USA TODAY Sports

Photo credit: Howard Smith-USA TODAY Sports

Yet another piece on why the Phillies will most likely be positively awful this summer. This time it’s Jon Heyman who, in trying to find some silver lining in this playbook, spoke to a couple of scouts who aren’t particularly bullish on the team managed by the longtime baby bear:

They had a nice window of winning, and it just slammed shut, just like that,” one NL scout said.

One talent assessor assessed the Phillies in two words: “Potentially dire,” said the AL scout.

The word “potentially” seems to be used a lot around the Phillies, who could go either way. The AL scout finally concluded the Phillies needed to “turn back time,” which seems like an unlikelihood.

“There are a lot of “ifs” for them not to struggle,” that scout said. “They did not look good this spring.”

The bullpen, which one scout referred to as a “mess,” looks a bit better after recovering veteran righthander Mike Adams threw a scoreless frame against the Yankee. He, too, could be back sometime in April if all goes well.

While veteran star second baseman Chase Utley seems to be back to his form, according to the scout, they wonder how close Howard and Rollins can come to their previous MVP form. Howard appears to be in excellent shape but he’s still trying to generate his old power. And the AL scout said, “Rollins is very frustrating to watch. He had some lackadaisical at-bats. He looked nonchalant at times, but the last couple games it’s been getting better.”

The best part is that Ruben Amaro has long maintained that the Phillies are a scouting organization, not a SABR organization. That’s all well and good. But, problem: the SABR folks think they stink and so do the scouts. Oops.

• Cartman March 26, 2014 at 2:02 pm

And now Fransden signs with the Nationals. So we get to see him many times. He’ll probably kill us.

Yay.

• Charlie Brown March 26, 2014 at 2:05 pm

If we are worried about Fransden killing us, then our problems our WAY bigger than we think. Stop with him.

• Derp McGurp March 26, 2014 at 2:25 pm

You’re right, who needs a guy who swings righty and plays the entire infield on a team where your 1B, 2B and 3B swing left-handed and two of them have exploding bones and joints which leads to them frequently being rested.

• sean March 26, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Can’t play SS. What good is a UTILITY infielder who can’t play one of the positions.

He doesn’t have the same UTILITY, no?

• Derp McGurp March 26, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Fransden’s played 32 games at short in his career including 22 starts for SF in 07. Great research on your part, Eskin.

• JG March 26, 2014 at 2:19 pm

All but the Phillies scouts see this!!

• MRSA Freddy March 26, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Rube is on his cellphone in that pic expressing interest in Randy Wolf.

• FREE KWAME!!! March 26, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Fuck it all.

I guess we’re getting the band back together. Crossing my fingers to see Padillas Flotillas somewhere out in right field this season too. Maybe the Byrd cage as well. Let’s do it. Fuck it. Let’s go full retard.

• Senile Citizens Bank Park March 26, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I changed my name from “Senior” to “Senile” Citizens Bank Park as anyone that goes out to the ballpark this year to watch this crap is indeed senile regardless of age. If you want them to fire Amaro, don’t show up pure and simple. When you don’t show up, you are also not purchasing the overpriced crap they call ballpark food and paying confiscatory rates for parking. Also, and this is where they will really get the message especially their new broadcast partner Comcast, call your cable provider and tell them you don’t want Comcast Sportsnet on your cable listing anymore. Be honest, with a lousy team, you don’t need to see the Phillies on TV this summer. I would pay to watch the Titanic sink, but this sinking of the Phils has gone on to since they won the Series. That was 2008 and all downhill since then under Amaro’s Captain Smith’s ramming the iceberg maneuvers.

I know that Comcast Sportsnet cannot be dropped by itself. David Cohen and his cohorts at Comcast are not dumb and will not allow any a la carte programming. They have done well in making campaign donation to their friends in the government to keep this choice off the books. Hence, at the least, don’t watch the games on TV, and let the ratings tank. As to football season, do you really need Sportsnet to watch Fat (or is it Fast) Eddie tell you the obvious. Insight from Barkann and R. Diddy? Please.

I know this plea will fall on deaf ears as addiction to watching the beloved Phils is a hard one to kick. Phil’s management knows thay have cultivated a broad spectrum of lemmings that will gripe about performance, but still show up at the ballpark and watch the games on TV. Why do you think Ricky Riccardo skipped town? And they were paying him.

• Bud Hanrahatty March 26, 2014 at 3:41 pm

I just want to know what all the Delcos are going to do this summer to pass the time now that the Phillies aren’t cool anymore. Where else can you go to relax after a long week of sleeping until noon, wearing freshly cut jorts while your pregnant girlfriend sports a black eye and recently infected neck tattoo? I hope for their sake another team wins a championship soon.

• step 3: make her open the box March 27, 2014 at 9:36 am

Nice try Spartacus, but as short of dropping your cable altogether, you’re still paying for the channel, whether it shows up or not. Also, Ricky left becasue the Yankees offered him a lot more money (his words) and NYC has a much bigger Spanish speaking/listening audience.

• Big Boothin' Matty Stairs March 26, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Last night I had eleven bottles of Budweiser at the hotel bar and then kicked in the door to Murph’s room. He had this look on his face where I could tell he was very concerned, but also that he really, really wanted me to like him and think he was cool. I told him to sit still while I squatted over his face and literally inserted his nose directly into my asshole. There I sat for a few hours, watching Kimmel, and ripping beer farts straight into Murph’s lungs via his nostrils. Every time I let one go I could kind of hear Murph gag a little, and then it would sound like he was saying “Aww, c’mon Stairsy, haha, funny joke”, although it was hard to make out since my ass cheeks were nearly suffocating him. This went on for hours! When my knees finally started to buckle, I got up and just walked out. When Murph showed up at the field this morning he couldn’t look me in the eye, but he did kind of rub my shoulders for a few minutes at the urinal before lunch, so I’m taking that as a sign to do it all over again tonight.

• Cholly lost 9 games per year March 26, 2014 at 7:03 pm

these numbers look good? (oh, btw, its the dodgers numbers sorted by by AB)
    AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB AVG OBP SLG OPS
    42 4 12 0 4 0 5 3 8 9 0.286 0.326 0.476 0.802
    41 1 5 3 0 0 3 1 5 0 0.122 0.136 0.195 0.331
    39 6 9 1 0 2 3 1 5 1 0.231 0.268 0.41 0.679
    37 2 12 2 0 1 6 4 6 0 0.324 0.39 0.459 0.85
    37 5 10 1 0 2 6 0 1 0 0.270 0.256 0.459 0.716
    36 5 10 2 0 0 4 2 7 2 0.278 0.308 0.333 0.641
    36 3 6 1 0 0 3 9 12 2 0.167 0.326 0.194 0.521
    33 5 10 3 0 1 5 6 5 0 0.303 0.4 0.485 0.885
    32 5 6 1 0 0 1 7 3 1 0.188 0.333 0.219 0.552
    32 6 6 1 0 2 5 7 11 0 0.188 0.333 0.406 0.74
    32 3 7 0 0 2 7 8 6 1 0.219 0.39 0.406 0.796
    31 4 4 0 0 0 0 7 4 0 0.129 0.289 0.129 0.419

• Dallas Green March 26, 2014 at 9:40 pm

“Scouts Continue to Think the Phillies Stink”

Of course they do, because nothing has changed in this rancid organization since the last time the scouts said the Phillies stink (which was last week, I think,)

I’m just glad Pope’s not here to see this mess.