Video: Dan Bylsma Said Quite Possibly the Douchiest Thing of All-Time Today

Kyle Scott - April 12, 2014

Voila_Capture 2014-04-12_09-22-04_PM

Dan Bylsma and his glasses, fresh off yet another loss to the Flyers, were asked if they were worried about Kris Letang, who was playing in just his second game after recovering from a stroke. Bylsma’s response was quite possibly the most Penguin thing ever. From Steve Whyno of the Canadian Press:

After the Flyers’ 4-3 overtime win, Bylsma was asked if — even though doctors assured the team and the 26-year-old defenceman that hockey would not put him more at risk for another stroke — he had a little pause seeing Hartnell and Letang shoving each other.

“I did have that thought when that was going on there,” said Bylsma. “(Letang) kind of had the play there and the puck on his skate to try to score a goal. It fell off his stick and the whistle and everything ensued after that. Yeah it does, a guy picking on a guy who had a stroke.”

A team spokeswoman said Bylsma was joking when he made that remark.

Was he joking? You be the judge:

I say no.

Craig Berube responded thusly upon hearing Bylsma’s comment:

Told of Bylsma’s comment regarding Hartnell without the benefit of much context, Flyers coach Craig Berube fired back.

“Then he shouldn’t play,” Berube said. “He shouldn’t be out there playing, bottom line. It’s a stupid comment.”

Totally agree, Craigery. I think we all wish Letang nothing but the best. But. But if you’re playing in a hockey game, you’re playing in a hockey game. To imply that Letang should be treated any differently is just ridiculous.

I wonder if Dan Bylsma displays the same concern for players’ well-being when James Neal tries to end careers?

• Jordan April 12, 2014 at 9:36 pm

I think he was joking. It is definitely a plausible explanation. Byslma smiled after he said it, looked around for laughs, then shook his head after realizing the joke fell flat.

• Matt April 12, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Exactly. This isn’t a big deal.

• Sandor Clegane April 12, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Pittsburgh is a town of cunts.

• Ed Snider eats Bowel Movements April 13, 2014 at 11:38 am

Rangers in 5 …..39 YEARS….1975!!!!

• Dr. Howard Fuckman, DDS April 12, 2014 at 9:43 pm

He is praying to the likes of Barry Switzer and Erik Spoelstra that the Rangers win.

• South Philly Sal April 12, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Wish Hartsey gave him an ultimate warrior heart attack. Letang is nothing but a pussy, pure & simple. Pussy

• Mike April 12, 2014 at 9:48 pm

I can’t stand the Pens and don’t like Bylsma at all, but I’ll give him that one. I took it as though he was joking. It looks bad in print, not in the video.

• Marvin Monroe April 13, 2014 at 9:16 am

It’s pretty obvious that he is joking. But then again, Kyle Sc has no sense of humor at all.

• Andy Schreiber April 13, 2014 at 9:47 am

Chief is right. If he’s so fragile, he should not be playing. Period.

Just another reason to hate the Penguins.

• hunter pencils bacon April 13, 2014 at 1:17 pm

……and speaking of James Neal being a douche, does Shanahan look at that penalty he got for slashing Reader – in the HEAD??? If Rinaldo got 4 that should get something for the start of playoffs…..

• Chief April 13, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I hate Penguins fans I really do, whether a joke or not its really flat out just a stupid thing to say. Its hockey and last time I checked the game is physical and the point is to score more than your opponent and to stop them from scoring. Just a ridiculous comment, not funny which is why nobody laughed. Just stupid…

• beege April 13, 2014 at 11:04 pm

dirtiest team in the league that get’s blown by Bettman and Pierre over an over again. It’s comical. I want them to lose in the first round more than I want the Flyers to win.

• Jimmy April 14, 2014 at 2:17 am

whatever you fucking cunts, I hate Shitsburg ,but I laughed at the reply, obviously Bylsma was scoffing at her question

• ChalieByGolly April 14, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Bite his finger off, or at the very least, cut his hair. I mean, what is that English page boy look he’s got going, is he starring in the local production of The Prince & the Pauper? No wonder his coach treats him with effeminate gloves/mittens. As for Neal (or Kunitz or Cooke), there comes a point where you realize that the Shannys of the world will continually absolve certain players of egregious acts, and you’ve got to take matters into your own hands, let Ty McGinn do his best Hospodar on Claude Lemieux imitation.