Just like last year, Sam Hinkie did the media rounds this morning, the day after the trade deadline. He just wrapped up his press conference – missing Howard Eskin for the second straight year (he’s in Clearwater) – and called in to Anthony Gargano this morning.
Here’s a quick breakdown of what he said in both appearances:
- I don’t think there was anything not done at the deadline that was particularly close to being done
- He felt good about significant interest in their players
- Mentioned Covington, Grant, Holmes, and McConnell as players who have improved (and may have attracted some interest)
- They’ll let the trade be finalized completely – and for JaKarr Sampson to clear waivers on Sunday – before deciding who is best for the 15-man roster between Joel Anthony and Sampson
- I personally can’t see the team keeping Anthony
- With Colangelo on board, they’re able to make better decisions and have more input into decisions
- When dealing with other teams this week, Hinkie spoke to Colangelo a couple of times per day.
- When the Anthony/2nd round pick deal came up, Hinkie called the owners and then Colangelo, and the consensus was to go through with it
- There was a “fair bit” of interest in both Noel and Okafor
Joel Embiid, Dario Saric, and the Future
- Hinkie can’t see Embiid being ready to go by Summer League, the goal is to have him ready to go by the start of next season
- He’s currently rehabbing in Qatar at Aspetar, working on a custom designed rehab program
- Aspetar is a popular destination for sports podiatry and is often visited by European soccer players
- The team has been in constant contact with Saric, who is valuable as a 6’10” player who can handle and pass. He’s also improved his shooting immensely this season.
- Next year the team could have up to SEVEN lottery picks on the team (Jah, Noel, Sauce, Embiid, Saric, PHI pick, LAL pick)
- Sixers will focus on flexibility, so they’ll have a wide set of options (specifically this summer)
- Hinkie thinks next year is there will be a huge difference in how much talent they have on the floor compared to this season
- They’ll look at all of our options, and Hinkie anticipates they’ll be more active this year in FA
As always, Hinkie came off as open – or, as open as he’s willing to be – while leaving a lot of room for interpretation. There were also about a million “like”s thrown in there, because Hinkie is a mid-90s Valley Girl in the body of a Encyclopedia salesman.