The Philadelphia Soul – they still exist – boasted on a billboard that they are “Philadelphia’s Winningest Team since 2004.” That sounds like a sad joke, but is it true?
Let’s see how true their claim is (also of note: The Soul didn’t play in 2009 or 2010, and the Flyers didn’t play in 2004-2005):
- Soul regular season win percentage since ’04: .634
- Flyers points percentage on average since ’05-’06 season*: .561
- Phillies win pct. since ’04: .526
- Eagles win pct. since ’04: .552
- Sixers win pct. since ’04-’05: Doesn’t really matter, does it?
As you can see, the Soul legitimately own the best winning percentage in all of Philadelphia sports during that time (though they did play two full seasons fewer than all but the Flyers). And this, above all else, is a sign of the sad state of Philadelphia sports in 2016.
*If you adjust the Flyers’ points percentage to more realistically reflect the shortened 2012-2013 season, this drops a bit.
[h/t HOF reader Banditmax]
Note: The source used for the original version of this post did not include the Soul’s 2015 season. The numbers have been updated.