Anyone feel something special brewing here? The Red Wings lost last night and the Flyers’ playoff chances increased yet again, now up to over 80%.
Just two weeks ago they were still around 50-50 before a win over the Red Wings and, well, more Red Wings losses contributed to a mostly steady rise.
Last night, the outcome of the Red Wings and Bruins games – both teams are potential competitors for that final Wild Card spot – sent the Flyers’ playoff chances up to around 83%, using HockeyViz.com:
SportsClubStats.com, which uses a slightly different calculation, had them increasing by about 10%:
Now, we turn our attention to potential first round matchups, and HockeyViz.com gives the Flyers a 64% chance of playing the world-leading Capitals.*
*That number is part of their 83% chance of making the playoffs – meaning there’s a 17% chance they’re golfing – so it’s actually a bit higher if they make the playoffs. Some fraction I would have no idea how to begin computing.