The Flyers Yanked Dan’s Press Credential After His Andrew MacDonald Takedown Last Week

A disgusting, disgraceful, downright deplorable loss to the Phoenix Arizona Coyotes was the perfect shit sandwich to put an exclamation point on the first two weeks of the season, which have exposed concerning trends that show the Flyers are not yet ready to take the next step and bump themselves up a tier.

And with that, the nut graph in Dan Klausner’s Andrew MacDonald post, our Eagles and Flyers contributor was banned from the Flyers press box… after precisely one game. A Flyers PR rep said Dan was done and not to ask for credentials again. To be honest, I’m not completely shocked by the decision, but I’m surprised it was that paragraph that did it. I figured surely it would have been one of these:

That’s when we’d know things are truly fucked and have to start questioning whether this is some kind of bizarre, insane, actively harmful conspiracy because the Flyers would be making a conscious decision to ice a roster that’s not optimized and does the exact opposite of give them the best chance to win games.

I’m sorry, but Andrew MacDonald is the Flyers’ equivalent of a drunk driver. Bad things ALWAYS happen when he’s on the ice. He ruins EVERYONE and EVERYTHING. He’s the best player for the other fucking team.

MacDonald’s peripheral vision is nonexistent, to the point where the team doctors need to test him for some kind of deficiency. I mean, look at this abortion and try to stop your ocular balls from reflexively bleeding.

This is a bewildering, utter organizational failure.

The email from the Flyers initially pissed me off, no doubt, because I actually thought the piece was quite fair, focused on MacDonald’s on-ice play, and was probably one of the best written Flyers posts of the year, by anyone. But, I get where the Flyers are coming from with this. I don’t agree with them and think they’re being overly thin-skinned about a strong critique and don’t realize that positive pieces will be equally as over the top, but I understand why they want to protect themselves from these sort of colorful takedowns. And they deserve credit for actually credentialing blogs and new media, which is something they’ve done for years. Still, the access comes with a tradeoff.

Here’s what Dan had to say about it: “I’m not meant for traditional media, and that’s fine. If you deserve to be eviscerated, I’m not going to hold back. The Flyers cheated every fan in the building that night. I want to speak for the fan, not to or at the fan. I want them to be able to identify with my emotion because I know that’s how they feel too. My dignity is more important than access where the only real advantage is a live viewing vantage point. Not sure what I’ll miss most between the free soft pretzels, Tim Panaccio’s tie going down to his knees, looking over Sam Carchidi’s shoulder as he tries to compose a tweet, and Rob Parent’s 10x too big sport coat-JNCO khakis ensemble.”

People always ask me if I get credentials to games. I tell them no and explain that, given what we do, I don’t really want them, rarely ask for them, and that I’m extremely more efficient behind my computer screen than trudging to a press conference or media scrum that I can watch live online. But for the purposes of Dan’s pieces, which are more in-depth and focus on on-the-ice or field topics, I thought it would be helpful if he had some additional access to add color and context to his posts. To be clear, I didn’t send him to the Wells Fargo Center last Thursday to cover the Flyers game– I sent him there to gather observations for his weekly posts, which is how I pitched it to the Flyers. I also provided them a link to one of his Eagles posts, which was relatively tame (subsequent pieces were more harsh and similar to his takedown of MacDonald) but written in mostly the same voice and tone as everything else on this site.

I’ve always thought – or at least assumed – that the hesitancy to let bloggers into the press box, locker room and press conference was the fear that they would abuse that privilege and do something absurd– ask a player for an autograph, take a picture they shouldn’t, or write about an obviously off-the-record moment. I’m well aware of the boundaries in that situation and, despite the sort of things I write, and more than willing to be respectful of the access someone might give me. If you’re invited somewhere, even as media, I think it’s only fair to abide by the agreement upon terms, which in this case was an implicit acknowledgement that Dan wouldn’t walk into the locker room and take pictures for a cheeky post on who had the biggest cup hanging from their locker, and that he would only focus on on-ice matters. Which is exactly what he did. He didn’t go there with the intent to rip MacDonald – in fact he wanted to write some sunshiny bullshit about Brandon Manning – but after MacDonald essentially gave up three goals (should’ve been four) on his own and proceeded to backspace two more points away from the Flyers, Dan, like most every other hardcore Flyers fan watching the game, had enough and decided to rip into him using video and advanced stats. He went goal by goal and broke down each one of MacDonald’s failures. He cited multiple metrics to show how advanced stats backed his (and everyone else’s) eye test. And he provided a (colorful) anecdote from the press conference to show how the assembled media didn’t bother to ask the question on everyone’s mind.* I thought it was the perfect way to cover a sport. Dan wrote a scathing, in-depth critique about a particular player whom he felt was hurting the team, he did so with the intensity of a hardcore fan, and he used his access to provide a few additional anecdotes. MacDonald was scratched for the next game. Further, Dan isn’t just some kid off the street. He’s a grown adult with a full-time job who went to Maryland and has a Masters degree in sports management from Georgetown. He was among the smartest people in that press box. His post showed that. It was harsh, but every observation was backed up with video or a stat. A few reporters have said to me that they thought Dan’s piece, while good, could’ve been written without so much piss and vinegar. Sure, but that’s where ultimately there lies a disconnect between reporters and fans. Every Flyers fan reading that piece knew exactly where Dan was coming from. Just because he used big words and choice phrasing doesn’t make it an unfair hit piece. In fact, it made it better.

*If anything, I thought his shot at the media was what came closest to crossing the line. But then again, I can assure you that there are many people in Flyer-land who think the beat writers are a bunch of moronic trolls.

That’s how sports should be covered. Not the way the toons who cover the Flyers on a regular basis do so, with their carbon copy stories about the mundane topic du jour doled out by the team in pre-formatted press emails or player availabilities. For real, the next time you see Sam Carchidi tweet out what seems to be a super interesting stat, know that it most likely came from a Flyers press notes email, which also includes full post-game transcriptions of press availbilites. To say that the presence of most Flyers reporters is redundant in much the same way having a physical calculator is redundant, would be an understatement. They’re literally wasting their time when they hold a microphone to a player’s mouth and transcribe his comments, and think about how much time they spend doing it. That’s all they know. It’s all they’re good for. Because God forbid you get too real in your reporting, a team can simply yank your credential, which for most writers would effectively cost them their career, but for me or Dan just means the same piece will get written next time, probably more aggressively and sans one or two observations.

So while I understand the Flyers’ decision here – since they’re used to Tim Panaccio or Sam Carchidi willfully gobbling up the small morsels they serve them (including free food) and the gaggle of no-name morons trying to make a name for themselves who get off simply by being in the press box and tweet team and league approved hashtags – I think it ultimately rings hollow. And I’d counter it by pointing out that the Sixers still blindly credential the countless idiot columnists who throw around baseless accusations about the ownership group being lying frauds. I’d counter with the Eagles offering up credentials to the many local hot take artists who will excoriate an individual player or coach for one bad play or decision. And I’d counter with the Flyers themselves, who continue to credential assholes who take what I assume are unsanctioned photos of Claude Giroux entering an arena and then write familiar bullshit calling for him to be stripped of the captaincy because he speaks in clichés to the media, or openly complain about the team using social media to break news and then call for group meetings with the PR department because they’re not being coddled on their way to extinction.

Teams credential absolute morons who write way harsher pieces than Dan’s that contain totally baseless observations because they, what, are willing to be herded like cattle from one press conference to another and don’t write so incisively? I get why the Flyers are uncomfortable with what Dan wrote, but I also think it shows why being in the press box is overrated and ultimately hurts good sports writing. Apparently, once your criticism surpasses an eigth grade reading level it is too much. So, Dan will continue to write his Eagles and Flyers posts, with the same intensity as before, and without the fear that someone will yank his credential.

• howch12 November 1, 2016 at 11:47 am

this site gets slower by the day

• not a librarian November 1, 2016 at 1:31 pm

Dan’s piece on the Flyers was to long, so I skipped most of it and now I see what he said. Now, you go on and write way to long of a piece that I gave up on that too. Can you ask Jim to highlight the rest of your points starting halfway down? Thanks!

• Dub-ya November 1, 2016 at 1:53 pm

This site gets worse by the day. When you’re incessantly cursing, etc, to make your point you pretty much cease being overly interesting.

• kyle a go-go November 4, 2016 at 9:17 am

This. Totally this.

• The real Sam Carchidi November 1, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Dan and Kyle are frauds . This shit sandwich juuuuu was caught filling his pockets with the spread The Flyers so generously put out for the real reporters. Do you guys understand how embarrassing it is to see a so called educated grown man shoving kosher hot dogs into his pockets with mustard and relish loaded onto the buns?

• Ban Jim November 1, 2016 at 11:48 am

Yesterday

• Peter Zezel November 1, 2016 at 11:48 am

I can orgasm three times in one hour.

• TS November 1, 2016 at 11:57 am

this is exactly why the “media” in this town tip toe around every issue because they don’t want their gravy train to stop (free tickets, food, booze, swag, whatever). kudos to Dan (though I have to admit, I didn’t read the whole article!), for standing up to the man.

no wonder that Tim Panaccio has his own suite! he’s been kissing the orange and black ass for years

• Guesty McGuest November 1, 2016 at 12:00 pm

True, but the “media” are getting paid a salary with benefits etc, whereas Dan (and Jim I guess) are probably getting paid per article or something to that effect. I like Dan’s response, I was OK with the article in question, and I’m also OK with the flyers decision. As of now, “media” writers aren’t using curse words or pretending to write from a fans perspective, neither of which the flyers (or probably the other major teams) want.

• Bob Clarke November 1, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Tim Panaccio is an asshole.

• ANTHONY IS A CARTOON November 1, 2016 at 5:45 pm

No…..he’s a LITTLE ass hole.

• Kiss Kyles Balls November 2, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Assholes who say kudos…ugh

• Anger E November 1, 2016 at 12:00 pm

What a joke. No wonder those worthless hacks Panaccio/Carchidi/Parent continue to be employed. Nice work, Dan. Keep it going.

• kyle a go-go November 4, 2016 at 9:19 am

Or maybe he got the hook because Dan is nothing more than Captain Obvious with potty-mouth. Booooriiing…..

• Brandon Lang November 1, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Anything on ric tocc and meth head susie Celek dating ?

• hugh jassoul November 1, 2016 at 12:09 pm

VERY long post. Did Dan ghost-write it?

• Dan Klausner November 1, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Dammit!

• Zzzzzz November 1, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Seriously Kyle Klausnered the shit out of this piece . 2 paragraphs and right to the comments.

• Al. November 1, 2016 at 12:16 pm

How is even a story? Who the fuck cares.

• Fonzo November 1, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Please, don’t do that pandering Mikey Miss tactic of “speaking for the fan”….especially when a majority of the fan base screams “Shoot” while we have the puck in our own zone. I want an opinion that’s honest, not for you to speak on my behalf.

• Or...... November 1, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Maybe the Flyers realize this site is rag in the vein of TMZ and therefore not worthy of Press Credentials. Honestly Kyle, do you think this website is that important to the sporting world and not just the gossip site I check prior to my lunchtime poop?

• Bingo November 1, 2016 at 12:22 pm

This guy nailed it.

• cecily's small tits before she got big ones November 4, 2016 at 9:21 am

Zactly this

• TheFlyersFan November 1, 2016 at 12:18 pm

Dan’s post was spot on. Andrew MacDonald sucks. I saw it, the guys behind me saw it and were complaining about it. Everything Dan wrote was true.

• Shady Katie November 1, 2016 at 12:23 pm

This site makes me wish the internet was never invented.

• Smampy the wonder llama November 2, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Fuck Al Gore

• mullet al of medford by way of bosston November 1, 2016 at 12:23 pm

HUH?

• Ghost Of Bill Campbell November 1, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Good post, but anyone else find it ironic he spelled “eigth grade reading level” wrong? (it’s EIGHTH! C’mon, man!)

• jonathan papelbon November 1, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Good now Dan can crawl back into his d!ck sucking hole and stay there.

• Ilya Bryzgalov November 1, 2016 at 12:28 pm

I paid to watch that shit.

• Gargano makes rooting for wentz not fun November 1, 2016 at 12:33 pm

There is way too much attention being paid to a D-man that wouldn’t even be playing if Del Zotto was healthy. It was odd enough that his play was the subject of an entire article when we all know hes going to be a scratch when MDZ does return. Everyone knows he is a bad player and has a horrible contract. But this article is even more weird. Of course the Flyers don’t want a guy the gave credentials to shredding one of their guys. Am I missing something?

• MM November 2, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Exactly, nailed it, Amac not being an NHL caliber D man passes for “Insight” on CB

• Shart Shartveit November 1, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Yep. Actions have consequences.

Deal with it.

That is what adults do.

• So what November 1, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Are we suppose to feel sorry for Dan?

• Jimmy Johnson November 1, 2016 at 12:36 pm

You don’t want to lose access? Act like a professional and curb the statement “Shit sandwich.” Seriously. You still have a pass if you keep to the facts and not click-bait people with obscene remarks. This is your own fault for ruining what could have been an excellent analysis of how bad MacDonald has been.

• troy aikman November 1, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Doing some actually research instead of copy and pasting from other websites wouldn’t hurt either.

• Sheckler November 1, 2016 at 12:39 pm

The cancelled his crednetial because that post by Dan was fucking too long

• Sal Pal November 1, 2016 at 1:58 pm

I genuinely laughed out loud at that comment.

• Good night good hockey November 1, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Let me know when ya hear ANYTHING negative from Ange’s 2 hockey pucks. Its an insult BUT the Stepfords eat it up. They ain’t HOCKEY fans….just THEIR muckers & grinders.

• Philadelphia Flyers November 1, 2016 at 12:42 pm

NO JUUUUUS ALLOWED!

• Hextall's Glasses November 1, 2016 at 12:46 pm

As a fan who was overly excited at the start of the season to see new guys like Provorov and Konecny join the team, I was happy to see someone make an attempt to decipher the cause of their horrifically bad goals against total. I enjoyed it, even though as I was reading it I was thinking it might have been a little early to rip the organization as choosing to fail by keeping him on the ice and saying they’ve “showed they’re not ready to step up a tier.”

To me, that’s a conclusion a fan jumps to. While I was happy to see him tear into MacDonald (who deserved it), I think some of the shots fired at the team were coming a little early. And my feeling was proved correct when they scratched him before the Pens game.

As a reader, I’m happy to see coverage of the Flyers that’s unfettered by the privilege of access. However, I also expect someone who commands influence over an audience as large as CB’s to show restraint when it’s due. If you’re getting paid to write this stuff, you should be the best of us.

There were times during the Holmgren era were that kind of venom towards the organization was deserved, but most people approve of the way Hextall has been managing the team. Give him a minute to make adjustments next time. Otherwise, it was a great piece.

• Kevin November 1, 2016 at 12:48 pm

While you may think what he wrote is justified, it’s flat-out juvenile. Everyone gets it, but it’s the professional who can write effectively and responsibly while still getting the story out there. What you do is temporary. You’ll be that shock jock who’s in his 50s still trying to relate to the early-20s college punk who knows only two things about sports: Win and get drunk, or lose and get angry drunk. Bragging about your “bro” having a master’s degree from Georgetown is more embarrassing than credible. You basically just told the world that if complete graduate-level education, you’ll be working for me and get banned from doing anything remotely worthwhile. I mean, he didn’t even spell eighth correctly! Juveline trash is all this will ever be. Good luck finding real employment outside of sucking click-bait from your Twitter followers.

• cecily's small tits before she got big ones November 4, 2016 at 9:27 am

Kevin’s paragraph is stronger than anything Dan has written, ever.
      Please try to hire Kevin so he can publicly reply “fark you loser”.

• Bleue November 1, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Way to show them your dick Dan.

• Shart Shartveit November 1, 2016 at 12:57 pm

Over/under on the amount of fake e-mail accounts Jim had to make this morning to submit this story Deadspin’s Tips?

• Went to Villanova November 1, 2016 at 12:59 pm

But can’t spell eighth.

• Dan gives a voice to the voiceless November 1, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Dan sounds like a typical miserable, self-defeating Philadelphian who takes pride in being “honest” even if it costs him jobs, friends, or anything resembling a successful, happy life. Thank god he has a platform on Crossing Broad because I don’t hear enough from people like him.

• Kyle November 1, 2016 at 1:10 pm

You can’t really believe that this is a legitimate sports site and that you three stooges running it are part of the press

• Glen macnow is from buffalo and has a gay son November 1, 2016 at 1:49 pm

I’d like to think the Flyers discovered Dan’s pickup basketball piece and revoked his credentials for such a disastrous article.

• GLEN MACNOW's gay son November 1, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Kyle should have revoked his crossing broad credentials after that disaster

• is meisha johnson 29 or 49 November 1, 2016 at 2:00 pm

pour one oot for dan.
    mad respect he told it like it was.
    gonna have to reevaluate my opinion of him…someday.

• Huge fan of CB commenters November 1, 2016 at 2:14 pm

36, actually.

• Darth Nihilus November 1, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Kyle,It was harsh, way more harsh than it had to be. True? Maybe. Unprofessional? Absolutely. Kyle, i see why you thought his piece was articulate and accurate, but Dan should have reeled it in a bit there. I mean, two weeks in and you want to rip the organization and say they are not in the elite? Not sure what he/you really expected from this. While I admire his passion for philly sports and writing, maybe this venom was a bit pre-mature in his analysis of the Philadelphia Flyers? Dont you think?

• Had Sex With A Hot Girl At Kyle's House November 1, 2016 at 9:10 pm

The unprofessionalism and immaturity of this site is catching on.

Nobody is questioning the criticism of Andrew McDonald. I don’t even really watch hockey to know that he sucks. That’s not the point. The point is Dan cursed several times, referenced “abortion,” “balls,” and made a joke about a disability.. This not the conduct or content that professionals put out. A professional sports team does not want to be associated with this. And why should they?

On his way, Dan takes cheap shots at the other reporters there. Haha. Really mature. I’m sure you would say that to their faces. Wait. You didn’t.

So Kyle is going to go back to stealing content from other actual reporters….err I mean blogging…..and Dan is going to go back to writing dumb posts while watching the Flyers on TV and having no first hand knowledge of anything going on there because he has exactly the same access as me, someone that doesn’t even care that much. Good stuff guys.

• lumpy7 November 4, 2016 at 9:34 am

That’s the funniest part.
      I don’t come here for info, I come to laugh and marvel at Kyle thinking he’s important or relevant in any way whatsoever.

• TonyBrunosScooter November 1, 2016 at 10:14 pm

Who is Dan?
    #goaheadhater

• Scott November 2, 2016 at 4:52 am

The Flyers did the right thing. Next time, blogger boy, buy a ticket.

• raynman November 2, 2016 at 10:12 am

who is dan klausner

• Charley Babbit November 2, 2016 at 11:25 am

Ten Minutes to Klausner.

• Andy Schreiber November 2, 2016 at 6:16 pm

Dan has a Masters degree in sports management from Georgetown?

He must be so thrilled to be subjected to the CB comments section.

At least MacDonald was a scratch for the next game. Maybe Dan gets some credit for that?