Bryan Colangelo’s Statement on Ben Simmons Sucks

Kyle Scott - February 17, 2017

God this sounds like it was written by a politician.

Colangelo doesn’t even attempt to address the report about Simmons’ January 23 MRI showing that his foot wasn’t fully healed, this despite the Sixers outright lying about it on their website the next day, saying Simmons’ scan was “clean.”

I don’t get it. Truly, I’m baffled. If the Sixers want to tank and grab another high lottery pick– fine. They obviously can’t come out and say YEP WE’RE DOING IT AGAIN, but there is nothing stopping them from being forthcoming about injuries or their needlessly prolonged recovery periods. I’m not a big they owe it to the fans guy. Sports are a business, too. But Jesus Christ, after 3+ years of tanking, the least they could do is not string us along for what seems to be the sole purprose of selling more tickets. That is taking such a short-term view on things– it’s almost laughable that career business guys would think it’s a good idea. They did it with Andrew Bynum. They did it with Joel Emiid. And now they’re doing it with Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid. There’s no other explanation. It’s flat-out shitty. It’s strategic. It pervades the entire organization, right on down to the high-pressure and super annoying sales guys. Here’s but yet another anecdote of their shittiness:

That was in response to my Tweet following up on our post from yesterday in which we explained that season ticket holders with seats in the risers behind the basket were told their tickets were going up 300% next season as their sections were being turned into a VIP area. That was for current season ticket holders. But last night, a reader emailed me and told me that, last week, he bought season tickets in the risers for next season at the advertised rate of $75 per ticket, paid his first of 12 installments, and then received a phone call in which the Sixers basically told him sorry:

I already purchased my Risers (section 108) season tickets last week for next years full season. Received a call today that the price was going up to 130% per ticket per game over what I agreed on and paid for. My options are either give them the difference or move to difference seats….

That’s screwed up. It’s one thing to displace current season ticket holders by making a change in seating layout, but it’s another to advertise and sell packages and then change your mind once you realize you can extract more money from the section. It seems to me that the Sixers had decided upon season ticket rates, began selling packages, and then at some point over the last month realized that demand was soaring and hastily added a VIP section, putting out the average fan who had already begun paying for the seats (!!!).

I reached out to a Sixers spokesperson yesterday seeking an explanation or clarification. I was told they’d call later in the day. As of this morning, I haven’t heard back. Rather, all anyone has gotten from the Sixers was that statement from Colangelo, which sucks.

• Bob February 17, 2017 at 8:36 am

Fuck you Ron Burgundy!!!

• Tom chambers February 17, 2017 at 8:42 am

This guy is an asshole

• Dictionary.com February 17, 2017 at 8:43 am

nepotism: (nep·o·tism) n. the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

• Bitter February 17, 2017 at 9:17 am

I love jealous losers like you. You probably work your ass off for 40k a year. You hate seeing people you think are dumber than you make way more money than you. Somewhere in your life you made a wrong turn. Deal with it. I started a construction company instead of going to college. I made over 500k in 2016. You probably worked hard in school and got good grades. I get it. Lol!

• Big Ben Healy February 17, 2017 at 9:20 am

Anyone who throws around the word nepotism in a negative way is a bitter fuck. You work hard, you make a good living, why wouldn’t you want to help your family and friends do the same?

• The girl Jim is in love with February 17, 2017 at 9:21 am

500k? Really? Can I suck your dick?

• Dan Griffoni February 17, 2017 at 9:58 am

“Oh guys, I started a company and I’m so rich!”

• CKCP February 17, 2017 at 10:09 am

TRANSLATION: der der der doy work hard doy duh der collegeboy der duh duh doy der

• Sorry but... February 17, 2017 at 10:26 am

at the end of the day, people will still think you’re a loser who works construction. Just sayin…

• Dr. Whateveryouwantmetomakeupmynameas February 17, 2017 at 12:40 pm

This post is great. Guys get called out for flexing keyboard muscles which will never be needed and these are equally as bad.

By the way that is my name. I am a Doctor. I started as a nurse but studied real good and they made me a doctor! Last year? Made a kagillionbillion and a half dollars. You construction losers could only dream of having my life.

• wake up February 17, 2017 at 8:49 am

“The Process” still has at least 2 more years. Don’t pay attention to the Sixers until they are above .500 and a serious playoff contender.

• When will you realize February 17, 2017 at 8:54 am

They have no loyalty to you!

It is a billion dollar business.

• The south Philly pepper 🌶 man February 17, 2017 at 8:58 am

I won a shit load of $$ last night betting Edmonton. Easy $$$$ betting against the lifeless flyers

• Fire and deport colangelo immediately February 17, 2017 at 9:05 am

What a fucking train wreck. Even when Colangelo does “voluntary” interviews you can sense him sneering at the fans throughout the whole thing. Kyle, you’re right, Colangelo is like a politician who can’t believe that ordinary civilians learned about how they committed fraud.

• TV Ratings for the Sixers - 1.9 February 17, 2017 at 10:00 am

Worst ratings in the city, but 90% of the posts here are about the Sixers.

4th out of 4 teams. I will be glad when the hipsters move on to something else to talk about.

• NBA HOOPS February 17, 2017 at 10:07 am

Hey TV rating take a look at the building on home games and see how many fans team is drawing.

Turn on talk radio and view the comments sections of this and other sites.

76ers have more interest than any team in the City except maybe the Eagles.

If you want to get no reaction lets talk those horrible Flyers!

• Nba hoops February 17, 2017 at 10:57 am

Actually the sixers are 85% capacity attendance. Same as the Hawks. Fourth out of 4.

• Toru Tanaka February 17, 2017 at 10:11 am

Like I said yesterday, the Sixers are treating these people exactly how they should expect to be treated. What do you think is going to happen when you blindly follow the team, make excuses for the team’s horrible decisions, and give them your money for a substandard product that is a couple years from being watchable? These people are like the girl that puts out on the first night and then gets upset because the guy doesn’t take their relationship serious.

• MR. FUGI February 17, 2017 at 12:37 pm

ASO

• BigShot February 17, 2017 at 12:02 pm

FUCK THE PROCESS…FUCK COLANGELO..FUCK THE JUUUUUUU OWNERS
    2ND WORST FRANCHISE IN SPORTS (BROWNS)

• NBA HOOPS February 17, 2017 at 1:14 pm

85 percent capacity is excellent, especially considering how bad team was over first couple months of season, along with the Ben Simmons injury.

At 85 percent capacity that would be an average of about 17,000 fans a game, dummy!

• NBA HOOPS February 17, 2017 at 2:04 pm

He does have a point. Nobody is watching at home and the arena isn’t full.

It’s the NASCAR effect. When ESPN had NASCAR racing was popular.

• Kill myself February 17, 2017 at 2:38 pm

I honestly hate this organization. I just hope Ben Simmons’ injury isn’t worse than they said it was originally, like Joel Embiid’s latest.

• Agreed February 17, 2017 at 8:33 pm

I didn’t hate them unti llast week. It is just that BC can’t utter a truthful statement. He JUST CAN”T TELL THE TRUTH. About anythying.

• Larry Bud Mellman February 19, 2017 at 1:18 am

Why does ESPN feature all blakes 24/7 ? If Tiger Woods farts they report it for 1/2 hr, this guy is DONE, he is a scumbsg and they LOVE HIM whrn he isnt relevant. Presidrnt LeBron who runs the NBA & ESPN is covered around the clock while his hairline is dissapearing like the Mexicans running to Canada.
    ESPN HAS to be called out on their blatant racism led by Michael WILBON – HNIC.
    Howard Stern is an old queen, no ratings, nobody listens to the PC jerkoff and I hste his fake Wiggy.