RADIO WARS: Here’s Rob Ellis Signing Off 97.5

Kyle Scott - July 14, 2017

Here’s Rob Ellis at the end of his show today announcing his departure from 97.5:

“This is going to be my last day today at 97.5 The Fanatic. Now, it’s a mutual parting of the ways. Everything ends on good terms. There’s no bitterness, there’s nothing like that. I’ve known this for about a week, came to this decision. My contract’s been up, we had some discussions– I’m usually pretty good about following my gut and I just feel like it’s time for me more than anything else. I just want to say how much I enjoyed working with you, it’s been a blast the last two years. And one of the reasons I came here was to work with you. But… usually in this business, if things aren’t left on good terms, you’re zipped right away, you’re out right away, or you walk right away, and that wasn’t the feeling between me or management. I just felt it was best for everybody involved to walk away, and I’ve done pretty good from following my gut and I’m gonna do the same thing here. So before any false reports come out to the contrary, this is leaving on good terms. Trust me.”

Ellis’ contract was recently up and obviously renewing it wasn’t a priority. I love his little dig at “false reports,” especially since it sounds like this was handled much better than when Ellis found out he was being demoted at WIP… by reading this site. Those reports are always so false, I guess.

It’s been a strange few years for Ellis. After getting pushed out of the afternoon slot at WIP by Josh Innes in 2015, he did nights there for a little while at the same time Breakfast on Broad, which he co-hosted, was launching on CSN. He then left WIP for 97.5. BOB got cancelled earlier this year, and now Ellis is out at 97.5. He’ll remain in his role at CSN.

• Newtown Trump Guy July 14, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Funny how he says mutual. Not what I am hearing. Heard that Nat Egg gave him a BJ a few times and management found out.

His contract being up was just good timing and allowed them to spin it in a positive light

• once finger fucked Jillian rafferty in a Subaru July 14, 2017 at 4:23 pm

yea i highly doubt that. Robby E would prematurely e-jack the moment Natalie started to lick her lips

• Kevin Rayburn aka Frosty July 14, 2017 at 5:05 pm

This rumor is one that I’ve seen before on Facebook. Who knows.

• LOL KYLES "PACKAGE" July 14, 2017 at 6:32 pm

I thought Rob and meathead were good together on the afternoon drive. I really enjoyed Glen and meathead together also. Meathead without one of the other two is totally unlistenable.

Hope Rob lands on his feet somewhere. Never got the hate for him.

• Rob Ellis called DeSean Jackson a thug which is white guy's code word for the n word after chip Kelly cut him July 14, 2017 at 9:37 pm

I’m glad that phony Rob Ellis is no longer on the 97.5 airwaves, polluting the Philadelphia sports talk radio with his fake tough guy act knowing damn well that suburban chump has never even experienced a fist fight but yet clowns like to call him tough guy Ellis(FOH).

And btw only pale skin sheltered suburban momma’s boys, buy into that whole Ron Ellis garbage because real Philly guys know a suburbanite, who’s trying to show how Philly he is from a mile away.

• AG July 15, 2017 at 11:15 am

HAHAHAHAHAHA omg this was the funniest thing I’ve read in a while.

• Joe July 29, 2017 at 11:10 pm

Rob Ellis is the BEST in my opinion. I find him entertaining and with Harry, they formed a GREAT duo. I find Joe Decamara very good too but Jon Ritchie is tedious at best.

• Pretty Much Everyone July 14, 2017 at 3:40 pm

BRING BACK BRUNO

• philly sports radio blows July 14, 2017 at 3:51 pm

Enough with the old has beens. Need some new blood.

• I think that's going to be a bit of problem July 14, 2017 at 6:01 pm

He ran into some difficulty at 10th street and Snyder with Tony Bananas and The Chicken Man.

• Jose from Norristown's driver July 15, 2017 at 5:46 am

I thought they blew up the Chicken Man in Philly last night, and blew up his house, too.

• Cuz July 14, 2017 at 3:43 pm

Beat it bo

• Reader July 14, 2017 at 3:49 pm

• hugh jassoul July 14, 2017 at 4:06 pm

seems like a straight-up, poop-for-poop trade.

• Redgren Grumholdt July 15, 2017 at 9:11 am

I clicked on 4 stories and was asked my age and gender each time to see the content…of course, answered differently every time, currently I’ m a 65+ male, last story I was a female teen. WTF is up with this shit? I’m out.

• Robins box, Robins box July 15, 2017 at 11:42 am

Get a squatty potty, took my sh!t game to the next level, dropping proper deuces now with excellent mechanics….next up a bidet……

• everyone July 16, 2017 at 2:15 pm

You probably needed that squatty potty with all the damage dudes have done to your insides.

• Reader July 14, 2017 at 3:49 pm

This site seriously just asked me a 10-question survey about my pooping habits in order to read an article about a fantasy sports talk radio website???? Effouttahere.

• wade boggs July 14, 2017 at 3:51 pm

I miss the Bruno and innes show. that show always put me in a good mood

• On a plane in a holding pattern over Harrisburg July 14, 2017 at 3:59 pm

Like LeBron said, it’s about damn time.

The real reason Robbie E. Is stepping away is because management at 97.5 wouldn’t allow him to participate in the WIP Strongest Man in Delco Arm Wrestling Competition. Negotiations really broke down once tough guy Rob couldn’t prove his manhood while still on the titanic midday show. He has been doing 1,000 curls every half hour getting ready to take on Delco’s finest arm wrestlers.

• Lil Cuz July 14, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Anything on Steve Fredricks teaming up with Harry Mayes? That is going to be a hell of a show!

• I miss Steve, he was great July 14, 2017 at 5:57 pm

He not only lived on the Main Line, he lived to main line.

• The Door That Hit Rob's Ass on The Way Out July 14, 2017 at 4:03 pm

Damn. That felt good.

• We only needed 1 sports station July 14, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Enjoy your last sanctioned sausage fest you call fantasy fest. A lot of money going out and nothing coming back in

• Mikey Miss's Mom July 14, 2017 at 4:27 pm

Tony Bruno and Harry Mayes do it 975!

• Cosmo DiNardo July 14, 2017 at 4:31 pm

He contacted me to sell him weed

• Frank July 14, 2017 at 7:59 pm

really ? you scumbag mother fucker ?

• John Deere 310SG July 15, 2017 at 6:22 am

Keep me out of this

• Gaear Grimsrud July 15, 2017 at 7:40 am

We stop at pancakes house.

• LAter gator July 14, 2017 at 4:32 pm

Mutual my ass. Pretty obvious dude doesn’t make enough money at 1 place so he’s forced to work 2 jobs, just like Harry does being with temple. Probably asked for more money, they wouldn’t pay it so he decided to leave. Who’s kids play sports during 10-2? If anything you would leave can as those would be the hours your kids play sports. Lies lies lies.

• Mitch from East Windsor July 14, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Rob E. Probably asked for a raise. Management said take a look at your ratings.

Robs ego may have gotten the best of him and he told them Im Out!… Might end up regretting it. Seems like a comfy way to make a living. Hes burned his bridges at 94 + 97.5 now.

• We Just Debated It and You Got Your Ass Kicked July 14, 2017 at 8:51 pm

How much annual salary do you think Rob E made at 97.5 ?

• Typical d-bag going to fantasy fest July 14, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Does this mean Rob E. won’t be a Fantasy Fest?

• 1 down 1 more to go July 14, 2017 at 4:54 pm

Hopefully.

• No but Bernie will be there July 14, 2017 at 5:56 pm

They had to agree to let in so many mentally challenged people so Bernie fills the bill.

• Go Yourself Fuck, Rob July 14, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Dyslexic I’m. But I Think I’ve Point My Made. Ass My Kiss, Ellis.

• Earl "The Pearl" Monroe July 14, 2017 at 5:35 pm

Not a bad move by him… that station is going under and he just got a head start looking for another gig. The rest of them will all get whacked at the same time.

• The radio business makes no sense July 14, 2017 at 5:53 pm

The Fanatic was beating the midday show at the other station when it was Barkann and Reese. Then DeCamera and Ritchie take over in October and erode the 97.5 listenership. So what does WIP do. They promote Reese to the all important 2-6 drive time with the NY guy. He had that shift before when he was
    with Howard and Mike came in buried them. Let’s not forget Josh. Harry and Rob went from winning their shift to Rob possibly not being offered another contract. Can someone tell me what’s so special about Harry. Rob is certainly better versed in sports than Harry is.

I also like the part where Rob is talking about spending more time with his kids. Your salary was probably cut in half. Unless you get a bigger role on CSN. Right his role there is filling in on Quick Slants and PST. Maybe he is still being paid under his old BOB contract but that won’t last unless he permanently takes over PST. Does the Fanatic really think they will get a bump in ratings if Jayson takes over Rob’s job or Eytan returns to it. The reason they hired Rob in the first place was because Eytan wasn’t delivering the numbers they wanted.

• fm July 17, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Mayes, the host killer, is a poor man’s Rob Charry. He should be only doing weekends and updates. That’s it.
      I’ve been saying for years that 97.5 is garbage. It had, what, one decent 12-month stretch of “winning” the ratings, and not even the real ratings… the made up ones that Kyle contrived becasue ‘IP doesn’t like him. In actuality, ‘IP has always had the edge in the ratings.

It’s a matter of time before the format at 97.5 switches. It’s always been dumbed down radio, pandering to the lowest common denominator.

• Eagleye5 July 14, 2017 at 7:15 pm

Only get survey questions when I check out the site from a computer, I don’t get it from my phone anymore.

• Big Dave July 14, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Was pretty weird when rob went on a rant about how the gin blossoms are better then any current band. Pretty random.

• Mitch from East Windsor July 14, 2017 at 8:09 pm

Wierder yet. Missanelli labeling Tears For Fears “Brilliant Musicians” and calling Pink Floyds music “crappy space junk”. Wooooowwwwwwwwww.

The first minute of Shine on You Crazy Diamond is 10x more musically powerful than Tears for Fears entire crap catalogue and the rest of Missanellis unlistenable Indie garbage .

• . July 14, 2017 at 7:45 pm

I enjoy the podcast much more when you guys don’t curse

• fm July 17, 2017 at 3:09 pm

But they’re edgy! And why the hell would anyone listen to a podcast?

• Four weedheads burning in a hole July 14, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Philly sports radio is trash all around. From the horrible homer host to our idiotic fans.

• Henry from Tampa July 14, 2017 at 9:25 pm

Hey Haaarrrrrrrry. Karma is a bitch isnt it?

• Daniel Schqartzman July 14, 2017 at 11:41 pm

I am avaiable

• JOHN GOULEBUNNEE July 15, 2017 at 2:55 am

They are bringing Hugh Douglass back under the name of “John Goolbunnee ” and he will teach Hollis Thomis how to speak English.
    Hollis will not do well.

MIKE FROM SO.PHILLY CALLS AT 3AM EVERY NITE AND LIKE EVERY OTHER LIKE WORD LIKE IS LIKE and why does he get an HOUR when you get two minutes ?

• The King July 15, 2017 at 11:06 am

Surveys are going to make me stop visiting. Completely obnoxious.

• AG July 15, 2017 at 11:25 am

Message to Rob: YOU’RE NOT A PRO ATHLETE, GM, MANAGER, COACH. Would love to face off against that tool on the hardwood, diamond, gridiron, octagon, wherever.

Read over his last words there. Is that not precisely someone trying to talk exactly the way someone actually involved in sports would talk about? Like an athlete departing from a team he’s been with. This guy is such a freakin tool, thinks he’s some well-known celeb in the Philly sports scene but he’s not at all. I have truly disliked this guy for a long time and this was a phenomenal move by the programming director. People in this industry–a tip from an astute listener–don’t take yourself so GD seriously! Loosen up, it’s just sports talk. I almost drove off the road (love that overused expression) when Ellis would talk about how hard he was working. Dude you sit on your ass talking about sports. I really like certain guys like Mayes who are chill and have just a likable personality.

• fm July 17, 2017 at 3:13 pm

Mayes is a douchenozzle, faux tough guy. He’s a terrible host with little to no substance. He’s a poor man’s Rob Charry, and should only be doing weekends and updates.

Ellis has gotten worse since moving off evenings at ‘IP. Before that, he was hands down the best host in the city. But those days are long behind him.

• Yes July 15, 2017 at 12:52 pm

So I guess you could say that Rob is no longer….

in the mix.

I’ll show myself out.

• jeff thomas July 15, 2017 at 4:36 pm

I really enjoyed ellis and mayes. 97.5 is flawed because they are anti-baseball, but they are still superior to WIP. It’s clear anyone with the exception of Missanelli is expendable there. They made a mistake not keeping marks or decamera, who both hd loyal followings. I hope neither murtytus, who’s ” i love hockey, and hate baseball act ” would get old after 4 hours, nor Ethan who tries to come across as the smartest guy in the room but in reality he is a D-level wannabe 40 year old pot head white rapper.

• Saddened sports radio listener July 15, 2017 at 8:37 pm

I so agree. Robbie E actually became more likeable while working with Harry, but this Eyton guy is the worst. He has to talk over everything and everyone, including his host. He is rude to his callers, and has ZERO sports knowledge before the year 2000. He needs to go, plain and simple!

• Hey, Jeff Thomas July 17, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Who’s “Ethan”?

• fm July 17, 2017 at 3:15 pm

97.5 has and continues to be sports talk for the lowest common denominator; it’s meathead radio. WIP will always be better, but even that isn’t saying much.

• Jesus July 16, 2017 at 10:30 pm

This city has the worst effing radio stations I’ve ever heard. Other than Mikey Miss there’s nothing close to a good show. These guys are all FOCKING PUPPETS! IT’S AWFUL.

• fm July 17, 2017 at 3:16 pm

DiCamera and Richie are better than Missanelli. Let me guess, you’re about 21-22? When I was your age I liked Mike, too… Then I grew up.

• Pat Burrell's STD Test Results July 17, 2017 at 3:53 pm

Wait…what? Missanelli’s listeners skew OLDER, not younger. He sucks either way, but it isn’t 21-22 year olds who like him, pal.

• Justme July 17, 2017 at 12:09 pm

Where is harry today? No mention of him at all on the radio.

• fm July 17, 2017 at 3:17 pm

I don’t root for anyone losing their job, but it’d be awesome if he were gone.