A Radio Shithead Mocked Roy Halladay’s Death

Excuse my language here: A radio fuckface went on a long rant about how Roy Halladay deserved to die because of the way he was flying.

Michael Felger, of 98.5 in Boston, called Halladay a “moron” and an “idiot” and said he had no sympathy for him.

Awful Announcing captured the audio and transcribed portions of it:

“It angers me. Someone, who, I don’t know, is so cavalier about life and just doesn’t appreciate the tenuousness of life and is willing to screw around with life and death? Especially when you have children, or a family?”

“You’ve got to get your rocks off by whatever it is you do that cheats death.”

“That guy’s like the bad guy to me. You’ve got a family! And you’re going to screw around in a little toy plane?”

“When this guy went down in the plane yesterday, I said, ‘I don’t know the details, but hopefully this isn’t JFK Jr., somebody who doesn’t know what he’s doing, screwing around with a plane and killing himself for all intents and purposes.’ And it just sort of angers me. You care that little about your life? About the life of your family? Your little joyride is that important to you that you’re going to risk just dying?”

“You’re a multimillionaire with a loving family, and to you, you have to go get that thing where you can divebomb from 100 feet to five above the water with your single-engine plane with your hand out the window. ‘Wheee! Wheee! Yeah, man, look at the G-force on this! I’m Maverick! Pew pew pew! Yeah, man, look at this, this is so cool.’ And you die! Splat!”

“He’s not a militarily-trained pilot, he’s not a professionally-trained pilot, he’s a Joe Q. Citizen who buys a plane that folds up and you can put in your garage and that’s amphibious, ‘Wheee! Oh look, I just landed on the water, everybody! I’m going to tweet it!’ Splat. You’re dead. With two kids. Moron.”

“I find it offensive that you’re that cavalier about life. That it’s more important that you’re going to get your rocks off.”

“As a 40-year-old grown-ass man, you’re still doing that, to the point where you’ve got to get in planes and race cars and all that crap? I’m sorry, dude, you’re on your own. I’ve got no sympathy for you.”

“I don’t want to blame the plane for the fact that the guy (a test pilot who was killed) wanted to dive-bomb through mountains! You idiot! ‘Yeah, let’s dive-bomb through mountains! Cause it’s cool, and I’m going to put my hand out the window! And I’m going to tweet it!’ Splat! That ain’t the plane’s fault. This thing that Halladay was doing, diving from 100 feet to five…idiot. Oh god.”

“We’ve all done things we look back and regret. Like taking the little planes to Nantucket that have professional pilots. But they’re single-engine little Cessnas and sometimes the pilot’s like a 19-year old gal. ‘Gah! What am I doing!’”

This is classless and disgusting. However, a nugget of truth is going to get lost in his phrasing. I agree with his take that thrill seekers can selfishly impact many lives to get their jollies. I’m angry over what happened. A guy like that, with a family, and it’s all gone in an instant. Was it worth it? Some would tell you yes, but there are countless ways to get a thrill without hurtling toward the water in an amphibious craft.

In 2014, after Halladay joked that he wanted to do a flyover at CBP while Cole Hamels pitched the home opener, I wrote the following and never wished to have been more wrong:

Is anyone else concerned that Roy’s apparent obsession with flying won’t end well? Athletes and planes scare me. Their egos are too big for a craft that requires you to defer to nature’s greatest rarities and Murphy’s Law.

Halladay is the third person to crash an ICON A5 – including its chief engineer – of which there may be fewer than 100 ever made. The plane itself is highly sophisticated, but perhaps too much so– it inspires this kind of flying:

Was Halladay just asking for it, or did the plane and its manufacturer encourage this kind of flying? Last month, ICON issued guidelines for flying at low altitude, which it defines as under 300 feet. Obviously, Halladay was way lower than that, which according to the manufacture is acceptable following the completion of certain training courses, which it would seem that Halladay did since he worked closely with ICON and flew their demo plane.

Whatever the case, there is no way to describe this as anything other than a tragedy, regardless of who was at fault. Fuck this guy and his exposed chest hair.

• He’s not November 8, 2017 at 9:38 pm

Wrong.

• Philadelphia sports media has driven this story into the ground November 8, 2017 at 9:54 pm

I agree wholeheartedly but unfortunately in the eyes of the average Philadelphia sports fan(with their childlike hero worship of these athletes) they can do no wrong.

• Me November 8, 2017 at 9:55 pm

I agree wholeheartedly.

• Edgy Drumph bro November 9, 2017 at 5:50 am

I agree. I remember he sucked in 2012 and lost a playoff game for us in 2011 too. Splat…

• Rubén's Left Nut November 9, 2017 at 10:53 am

Guy is right on point! Sacrificed his family’s future for his own jollies

• John fuck November 8, 2017 at 9:44 pm

The fact that someone of you scumbags like this ^ will come on here and say they are right is fucking disgusting. You never drove your car fast as fuck where it could crash and kill someone ? I’m sure they did. I’m sure both of them have driven drunk just like most of us. So please with your sainhood. It completely unacceptable to say these comments right after a tragedy and both of these trash should be fired.

• Is English November 8, 2017 at 10:21 pm

Your second language????^^^^^

• Sam Hinky November 9, 2017 at 10:55 am

You are correct! Yes I did!…………………When I was a teenager! Now with Wife and kids?…………NO!

• Ploughman November 8, 2017 at 9:45 pm

Felger definitely is a shithead, and went way overboard with the insensitive rant, but I have to admit, he’s also not exactly wrong. I have to agree, what happened to Roy is “an unfortunate consequence of his actions”, but not necessarily a tragedy.

Halladay was taking time away from professional baseball because his family was too important to him at the moment, yet he was regularly flying what is essentially a test aircraft with an unproven and shady flight record. It’s a horrific feeling to know that his wife essentially begged him to not fly in that plane, and he ignored her.

I don’t mean for any of this to take away from the fact that we lost an incredible human being. He simply made a terrible decision, and paid the ultimate price for it. I certainly feel for his wife and kids, and anyone who was close to him. By all accounts, he sure was one hell of a guy.

• Capt Clueless November 8, 2017 at 10:01 pm

Roy will be a HOF’er… already is with his No hitter in the NLDS and the perfect game in Miami in the same season….

This assclown will be nothing but a scrub…. a wannabe paid fan. Never will be in the sports world other than just as it is… a paid fan.

I hope to eff this asshat loses his job and is never able to secure anything more than a janitor’s position in the arena, having to wipe up after the athletes…

• Jed November 9, 2017 at 12:03 pm

HOF?? He only had 205 wins. Hardly enough.

• Jim November 8, 2017 at 10:11 pm

Fuck Felger, he’s an asshole who would kick people who are grieving over the loss of someone who contributed more positive thIngs to society than a small minded, self serving, loathsome waste of life like him could imagine.

• Opie Cumia November 8, 2017 at 10:24 pm

Wannabe Jimmy Norton minus all the talent & even going as far into the negative column. Makes Mark Madden look reasonable & not a waste of space. This was cringeworthy. Massholes.

• Realist November 8, 2017 at 10:50 pm

This jabroni has bashed multiple players for taking paternity leave,

• Realist November 8, 2017 at 10:51 pm

This jabroni has bashed multiple @thletes for taking paternity leave, but now all of a sudden he’s Mr. “Why aren’t you thinking about your family?” Fuck off.

• Realist November 8, 2017 at 10:52 pm

Also, Kyle, why the fuck is the word “@thlete” causing my comment to go in moderation on a fucking sports blog?

• REALIST November 9, 2017 at 6:24 am

^^ not me

• Rollin blounts and jays November 8, 2017 at 11:58 pm

Why can’t I post, everything, waiting for approval

• Midget profile pic guy hater November 9, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Everyone hates you that’s why

• Jilly Beaner November 9, 2017 at 12:43 am

Fuck…. is it me or does listening to this jamoke bring back flashbacks of fat Josh Anus? Just me? I can’t be the only one. I’m having nightmares…

• Jonathan Papplebum November 9, 2017 at 7:24 am

Jealousy played a role in this. So Doc didn’t ever pitch for Red Sox, so they let their true feelings be known. Not a good thing.

• Put $500 on Notre Dame Saturday November 9, 2017 at 8:03 am

Loser media personality’s are all about the hot take anymore

• No one is asking November 9, 2017 at 8:23 am

Why didn’t anyone of those people dive in to see if they could help? I get (and in some ways hope) he died on impact so he didn’t have to drown. But they just go up to the crash take some videos, say what’s up to the other boat, and leave?

• A Fan November 9, 2017 at 10:42 am

My question, as well.

• MM November 9, 2017 at 9:32 am

People just don’t have a tact filter anymore. This is shit you think but don’t say for quite some time. get a friggin grip people.
    Man’s dead his family is grieving let the analysis of his actions and behavior wait until he’s at least buried properly.

• Flyguy November 9, 2017 at 10:13 am

This guy is way off base. I am a pilot myself so I will try to shed a little more light on what possibly happened.
    First off…Roy was a professionally trained pilot. According to reports he had his private pilot and Instrument pilot ratings and was working towards his Commercial rating. Plus his dad was a corporate pilot, so this was something Roy wanted to do for his entire life.
    From the looks of the video it looks like he was practicing landing on the water (which this plane is equipped to do). Obviously something went wrong, but it was way too soon for anyone to know exactly what happened. It will take the NTSB a year at least to figure out what happened.
    Also, the engineer/creator of this aircraft died due to pilot error. This was confirmed by the NTSB in the investigation. It had nothing to do with the design of the aircraft.
    Everyone needs to stop playing Monday morning QB and let everything play out.

• Disgusted November 9, 2017 at 2:35 pm

What Felger said is pure trash. For fucks’ sake, have some respect for the man’s family; for the city who just lost a hero. Someone said it was fueled by jealousy and I would have to agree with that. If Pedro Martinez suddenly died and some mid-level no name sports talk radio host went on a similar rant about how Pedro should have known better, you bet your sweet ass that fake-ass Red Sox fans would be up In arms.

Put this man’s head on a pike!

• FUKYOUDIK@GMAIL.COM November 9, 2017 at 3:52 pm

WHO GIVES A SHIT IF HE’S DEAD. I DON’T. S T F U !

• FUKYOUDIK@GMAIL.COM November 9, 2017 at 3:52 pm

CRYBABIES!!!!WHO GIVES A S HIT THAT HALLADAY KILLED HIMSELF. I DON’T.

• You just want attention November 9, 2017 at 4:19 pm

Great, you don’t care.. Then why bother to read the thread and make a comment? Take your own advice, STFU.

• Maxie November 10, 2017 at 6:29 pm

Whether or not there is some truth to what he said his remarks were cruel. He takes ‘insensitivity’ to a whole new level. There is a family grieving and in shock. They don’t need to have comments like this thrown around in a public forum. Just because you can say something does not mean you should in every situation. RIP Roy! You were one of the greats.