97.5 the Fanatic Wants to Know if You Enjoy eSports

Are eSports the future?

That one guy in the comments section seems to think so, but 97.5 the Fanatic isn’t so sure.

Philadelphia’s first FM sports station is putting out feelers to see if any of their listeners care about video gaming. They sent out this message to people on their email list, seeking feedback:

Mike didn’t write that, of course. Some producer or creative services or sales person did.

But I find the email very interesting because I am almost one million percent certain that the 97.5 listener base does not care about eSports. I don’t think Bernie from Broomall or Jose from Norristown or that Bob guy from Tennessee with the great accent know a single thing about video games, nor would they have any interest in listening to eSports programming or podcasts.

Plus, the local stations don’t even talk about all of our “traditional” sports teams anyway. It’s all Eagles all the time, with some Sixers and Phillies sprinkled in. There’s no Flyers talk. There’s no college football or basketball talk. There’s no Union talk. It’s the same shit it always is, i.e., “who’s the toughest Eagle of all time?” and “give me your Mount Rushmore of Eagles quarterbacks.”

However, as Nate Diaz once said – “I’m not surprised” that 97.5 sent out this email. They started airing a syndicated Saturday night eSports program more than a year ago called “Checkpoint Radio.” The show is produced by Westwood 1 and I wrote a story about it for Philly Views before I came over to Crossing Broad.

Rick Scott is Checkpoint’s CEO and told me this:

“An interesting stat is that 46 percent of the people who play eSports are also NFL fans. I don’t think you have an isolated group. Everyone seems to think that the guy who plays video games is somebody who stays in his mother’s basement and hollers, ‘bring me dinner!’ That’s not the case. It’s across the board, because you’re seeing all kinds of people who are huge fans of sports, whether it’s football or basketball, and it goes through to the other sports as well. They participate. It’s something that I think radio stations – like the Fanatic in Philadelphia –  their management teams are recognizing that there is value in this. And they’re partners with the Sixers, so that’s a natural fit to do an eSports show.”

He’s not wrong. And 97.5’s audience trends younger than WIP, so it makes more sense for the Fanatic to keep poking around in the eSports space, while 94.1 would just be wasting time and money with similar research.

To that point, this email at least intrigues me from the standpoint of, “okay, at least they’re putting out some programming-related feelers and exploring a bit.” Not sure about you, but whichever radio station breaks away from 24/7 Eagles talk and just adds some diversity to the topics gets my undivided attention.

Or, Eric Johnson, if you’re reading this, call me. I’ll do Saturday nights for free. We’ll talk Flyers, Union, college sports, and MMA. The entire show will be dedicated to sports that people care about but don’t hear on either radio station.

We’ll call the show, “The Kinkead Factor, with Kevin Kinkead.”

• BRUNO LAUGH September 21, 2018 at 11:17 am

that little geek Egan wrote that.

• esports are the future September 21, 2018 at 11:39 am

Mikey Miss has had me blocked on Twitter ever since I called him a political talk show hack so I won’t be taking the survey.

Just watch the $6 million Echo Slam from TI5 …compare the crowd and Prize Pool to TI 1 and somehow tell me Esports Are Not The Future.

• Esports really are the future and I love real sports September 21, 2018 at 12:00 pm

Here comes the Ice Blast, Dunk from Universe… ITS A DISASTAH!!!!!!

• esports are the future September 21, 2018 at 12:24 pm

This guy gets it.

• Taryn Hatcher's Legs September 21, 2018 at 11:41 am

Just like E-cigarettes E-sports are bad for you. Sounds like 97.5 Is in a serious relationship with a certain Peacock. If you are going to talk e-sports do it on the suggested Podcast, no gamer listens to radio. Also pay your e-sports podcast talent so poorly that it keeps them living in their parents basement, gamers like this shit. Radio is too much of a social phenomenon for the electronically disturbed.

• Two in the Kinker September 21, 2018 at 11:42 am

With Kevin Kinkead

• Edwin Murphy September 21, 2018 at 11:45 am

Someone needs to organize a 4 for 4 protest to get the cuz back on the air.

• 975 inside her September 21, 2018 at 11:50 am

Cuz was offered 10-2 on Sat & Sun but turned it down.

• Kevin Kinkead’s Hair September 21, 2018 at 11:59 am

Can’t wait for the podcast…. seriously, can you tell us more about your Emmy?

• Fred September 21, 2018 at 6:54 pm

Your obsession is as creepy as it gets. Such a horrible person

• Kevin Kinkwad’s Hair September 22, 2018 at 8:51 am

Thanks Rob PH…. tool

• Playing video games September 21, 2018 at 12:05 pm

Is not a sport, it’s an activity.

Some guy just asked Jason and Harry about the Cuz, hilarious… they got so flustered.

• Kevin Conley September 21, 2018 at 12:10 pm

Is not an, it’s a sport

Some girl just asked Jason and Harry about sports, hilarious… they got so flustered.

• Internet killed the radio star September 21, 2018 at 12:11 pm

Nothing about Nuevirth pulling a hamstring today? Talk about Carter Hart’s realistic odds to make the team?

Nobody cares about fvckin radio.

• Marry Hayes September 21, 2018 at 12:20 pm

No one cares about hockey, Jason.

• 4 for 4 for life September 21, 2018 at 12:44 pm

Gonna be having a candlelight vigil at Broad and Pattison tonight at 6 in honor of the Cuz. Can’t believe they did this to him

• ropes and loads September 21, 2018 at 12:47 pm

wonder if he will address it tomorrow morning on Fox Sports

• Hardcore 2 1/2 for 4 September 21, 2018 at 1:00 pm

I mean, do they really think this move is a wise business decision? I don’t even know anything about this Farzetta guy, but this definitely means more of (((Anton Shander))), at least in the interim. That is just bad for everyone. It seems like a sinking ship over at 97.5.

• The days of 4 for 4 are history September 21, 2018 at 4:39 pm

They will never talk football on the morning show again. It will be basketball 20 hours a week.

• Lola Tampons September 21, 2018 at 1:10 pm

Yo Kinker, git er done.

• David September 21, 2018 at 1:51 pm

esports are indeed on the rise. Heck, the Philadelphia Fusion have quickly become my 2nd favorite team after the Flyers 🙂

they made it to the finals in the overwatch league in true philly fashion. Underdogs all the way.

• I assume Mike hasn't said a word September 21, 2018 at 4:37 pm

He is scared shitless right now that the Turk will pay him a visit. When someone is fired on the radio. It’s like they are shunned by the Amish. They turn their backs and never mention his or her name again.

• Newbomb turk September 22, 2018 at 8:31 am

Vo-la-re!

• https://www.efghouston.org September 21, 2018 at 4:52 pm

Ι do consider all of the ideas you hɑve preѕented іn your post.
    Тhey’re veгy convincing and can dеfinitely ԝork. Ꮪtill, tһe posts ɑrе too brief foг novices.
    Maʏ just you рlease extend them ɑ bit from next time?

Tһank yߋu for thе post.