Beasley Media Group Purchased the Rights to an eSports Show

This is sort of RADIO WARS-ish, but not deserving of the RADIO WARS label.

If you’ve turned on 97.5 the Fanatic on a Saturday night over the past year or two, you might have happened upon Checkpoint Radio, a syndicated eSports program discussing, well, video games. The first time this happened to me was mid 2017 I believe, and I flipped on the radio to hear 94.1 WIP broadcasting another Phillies loss. I switched over to 97.5, which was airing a bunch of dudes talking about the League of Legends World Championships or something like that.

It was jarring, to say the least, but I wasn’t surprised when a Crossing Broad reader sent us an article revealing that Fanatic owner Beasley Media Group purchased Checkpoint Radio OUTRIGHT, as Mike Missanelli would say.

From the article on Insideradio.com:

Taking a step into the fast-growing competitive video gaming space, Beasley Media Group has bought the internationally syndicated eSports gaming lifestyle show, “Checkpoint Radio.” The purchase is part of BeasleyXP, a new eSports venture Beasley announced at the 2018 eSports Business Summit at Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas.

The weekly two-hour show, featuring co-hosts Nathan Bender, Norris Howard, Robbie Landis and Joe Sloan, currently airs on Beasley’s sports stations in Boston and Philadelphia and in roughly 50 other markets in the U.S. and Canada via Westwood One. It’s also found on the Twitch live streaming video platform.

I wrote a few weeks ago about the survey 97.5 recently sent out, asking their listeners if they had any interest in eSports.

While it’s true that the younger crowd might be tuned in to Fortnite or Overwatch or whatever, I’m 99.999% sure that eSports is not going to play well on terrestrial Philadelphia sports radio beyond a weekend niche role. Plus, we have to talk about the Eagles 24 hours a day, seven days a week, so I just don’t see how they can fit something different into the lineup. We need more Eagles talk and more phone calls from Tony in South Philly.

Adding more eSports programming in an old school “four for four” sports town would be about as dumb as parting ways with Harry Mayes.

• SH October 3, 2018 at 9:44 am

Esports will never work on the traditional mediums of cable TV sports stations or talk radio. They are more suited for an older generation that absolutely hates the ‘nerds’ and ‘weirdos’ that play video games. They should really stick to the newer generation of media where they have had so much success.

• Dan Griffoni October 3, 2018 at 11:18 am

Esports will definately work on the traditional mediums of cable TV sports stations and talk radio. They are not suited for an older generation that absolutely loves the ‘studs’ and ‘large wangers’ that play video games. They should not stick to the newer generation of media where they had no success.

• Times change October 3, 2018 at 11:52 am

Remember when sports radio won’t talk about fantasy football?

• SH October 3, 2018 at 12:45 pm

I hear what you’re saying, but you can’t compare the fan bases of fantasy football to something like League of Legends. Im sure there is some overlap, but I don’t think its significant enough. Also, the talking heads on TV/Radio have some football knowledge that translates. I doubt they have the same kind of knowledge for most esports tourneys.

• Seth joyner October 3, 2018 at 9:45 am

Wella lookie here …
    wella hello der!
    Who be talking dat mess bout me.

• esports are the future October 3, 2018 at 9:47 am

I’m offended I received no call.

SC2 > Dota 2 > CSGO > PUBG

• Kevin Kinkead October 3, 2018 at 10:10 am

Goldeneye 007 > Mario Kart 64 > original Contra for NES > Everquest > WOW vanilla >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DOTA 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fortnite

• Frosty from bloodlines October 3, 2018 at 10:11 am

That pic is exactly why don won

• Hardcore 2 1/2 for 4 October 3, 2018 at 10:12 am

Be sure to refer to the fella in the pink hair by the right pronoun. Lest you incur the wrath of the left…

• The King October 3, 2018 at 10:36 am

Great, another reason to not listen to 97.5.

• ok and October 3, 2018 at 11:04 am

it’s ‘esports’ not ‘eSports’

• JG October 3, 2018 at 11:56 am

Nobody cares.

• William Rhodes October 3, 2018 at 11:54 am

I don’t get eSports. People sit around and watch other people play video games? But they don’t get to play them?

• This is how you sound... October 3, 2018 at 12:29 pm

I don’t get sports. People sit around and watch other people play sports? But they don’t get to play them?

• William Rhodes October 3, 2018 at 1:00 pm

True, but it’s video games. It’s mostly nerds that are into it. It’s just not interesting to watch.

• Noob October 3, 2018 at 12:39 pm

A radio show about people watching other people play video games? Sign me up!!

• kinda October 3, 2018 at 12:56 pm

Like breaking down game film on radio? no?

• Sean-P October 3, 2018 at 2:30 pm

E”sports” what an absolute joke. I have tried to listen because I am on the road Saturday nights. Not only is it “E sports” but it’s also super liberal SJW shit. I tuned in just in time to here them talk about how there aren’t enough women in video games. Just embarrassing to have on a Philly SPORTS talk radio station.
    Do they really think gamers are tuning into a radio show anyway? Aren’t they more into podcast, online, etc?

• Dave October 3, 2018 at 2:53 pm

I don’t know the economics of it but I would guess it’s cheaper to put on this show for two hours every week in those 50+ markets than it is to pay at least one host and one producer at each station for those two hours. I have a couple nephews in their mid 20’s that are big “four for four” sports fans and 97.5 listeners but they also are regularly watching people play & talk about video games on Twitch. That’s the demo they are hoping to capture.

• sửa điều hòa samsung October 3, 2018 at 10:53 pm

That is a great tip especially to those fresh to the blogosphere.
    Short but very accurate info… Thank you for sharing this
    one. A must read post!