Fletcher Cox Responds to Fake Punt Criticism

via NFL

So earlier today we wrote a story called “The Saints Targeted Fletcher Cox on their Fake Punt.” It was a short post, just a couple of sentences and an NFL Turning Point video clip shared by Warren Sharp on Twitter.

In the clip, it’s explained that the Saints felt like they could run at Cox in a fake punt situation because they saw film of him playing passively during similar sequences in the wild card game against Chicago. You can see Fletcher ease up and not really push into the offensive linemen as the punter goes about his business.

That video is making the rounds, and I guess some people are suggesting that Cox was taking plays off or not giving 100%, which resulted in this response a short time ago:

Like I wrote in the earlier post, the Saints triple-teamed Cox on the play, moving him backwards with three blockers and then pushing Taysom Hill into those dudes. Cox was indeed injured and had to come out of the game for some time. When he did return, he immediately drew a penalty flag on the Saints offensive line, which made me laugh out loud at the time. That’s how good he is.

So I don’t think anybody doubts Cox’s commitment. Not anybody who knows what they’re talking about. He’s easily the best player on the defense and maybe the team. Still, New Orleans identified something on the film and made it work, so I guess it is what it is.

• Rick rude January 17, 2019 at 6:12 pm

Fat fuck Sean Payton always finds the weak spots

• Target World January 17, 2019 at 8:08 pm

That lard hog Fletch was owned by Payton.

• An Inquiring Mind January 18, 2019 at 8:37 am

Right before the snap, I said watch the fake to my friends.. For whatever reason, I had this inkling that there would be a fake. Now, I too hate Payton! Between his smug face and his sloppy mits, he really annoys me. However, give him credit for finding this weakness and entrusting Hill to audaciously fake a punt on your own 29 yard line. Eagles stop them, we probably go up 21-0, and that might have been game. Instead, they get the first, march down the field for a TD, and the momentum of the game shifted entirely to the Saints. Cox is a baller, but he was exposed because of his previous shiftlessness.

• An Inquiring Behind January 18, 2019 at 8:55 am

Right after the snap, I said watch the fake to my only friend. Like everyone else in the world, I had this inkling that there would be a fake. Now, I too love Payton! Between his cute face and his sloppy nips, he really gets my motor going. However, don’t give him credit for finding this well known weakness and entrusting Hill to quite obviously fake a punt on your own 29 yard line. Eagles stop them, they probably go up 21-0, and that might have been yahtzee. Instead, they get the first and have to convert another 4th down for an undeserved TD, and the momentum of the game shifted entirely to the refs. Cox is balls, but he was exposed because of his previous shiftlessness.

• Jim from havertown January 17, 2019 at 6:22 pm

Imagine all the pep rally’s and partying going on this week if fletcher wasn’t lazy on that play and alshon caught the ball

• Hillary is right about them January 18, 2019 at 6:04 am

I had to go to the urban dictionary translation log to figure out what these “people” were saying to each other. Fletcher Cox is a southern sweat hog that is beyond lazy. He is the most dominant D Tackle when he decides to play and give effort but he is a total blimp the other 80% of the time. Pig is on the sideline for most of the game sucking air. Maybe stop spending your offseason attempting to impregnate white women and hit the field for conditioning.

• Gene January 18, 2019 at 6:13 am

These super predators need to be locked up. That’s why it is so important to keep marijuana illegal.

• kyle and kev stink January 18, 2019 at 8:35 am

New Orleans didnt identify shit. Oh wow, he doesnt give 100% on punt plays…..shocker….a lot of players dont. Fact is Kev….this wasnt a punt play!!! They had their regular defense out there because they thought it would be a fake. So its not the same play. Its not a punt. Its a regular play. So the “not giving 100% on the punt play” BS goes right out the window. I hate that this video has gotten any traction and that outlets like this and deadspin have given it any credence.

• Google Me! January 18, 2019 at 10:40 am

The original post was stupid, and the fact that you wrote this one proves it.

• Brian January 18, 2019 at 3:05 pm

This whole thing is a bunch of BS. If the Saints really identified Cox as a “weakness” on such a play, then why would they also see the need to send 3 blockers to triple team him?? That makes no sense, and this is another example of some in the media being on Sean Payton’s balls when it’s not at all deserved. This take would only make sense if the Saints’ film study indicated that Cox was so disruptive they needed to triple team him to make the play work.