SHOULD THE EAGLES GO GET HIM?!
Sorry, I already did that joke today.
The Steelers wide receiver shared this today:
— Antonio Brown (@AB84) February 12, 2019
Huh? Is he gone? Released? Traded?
Schefter clarifies, after the jawn:
Antonio Brown has not been traded nor has he been released. But Brown wants a trade and he officially has requested that from the Steelers, per source.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) February 12, 2019
Brown will likely not be an Eagle for these reasons:
- He still has three years left on his contract at a base salary of about $12 million.
- The Eagles already have Alshon Jeffery under contract for three more seasons at a cap hit averaging around $15 million.
- Nelson Agholor hits the cap at $9.3 million if he returns this year. He can be waived without a penalty, but you’d need to go out and pay money to a slot receiver to replace him, so your net in total $$$ isn’t as big as it seems.
- You need room for a long-term Carson Wentz contract.
- The Eagles need a running back more than a receiver.
- There wouldn’t be enough targets go around for Brown, Jeffery, Zach Ertz, and/or Agholor if he returns.
But you never know!