So today we apparently have Doug Pederson meeting with Jeffrey Lurie to discuss his job status.
While it was initially believed that Doug’s job was secure, Chris Mortensen came out Sunday and reported that his status was actually up in the air, and that the Eagles head coach may not be guaranteed a 2021 return.
We have some details of this meeting,* and Doug’s thinking, courtesy of John McMullen and Jeff McLane:
As I mentioned yesterday on #Football247. Pederson preferences are Taylor as OC, Burke as DC with Breiner as QB coach. Now further sourced by @Jeff_McLane. Jeff also reports Pederson wants Fipp back at STC and Cory Undlin as the backup DC if Burke is not acceptable
— John McMullen (@JFMcMullen) January 11, 2021
He also wanted to retain Dave Fipp as STsC.
Lurie was underwhelmed. He wants external candidates with top credentials, sources said.
Question now is whether Pederson will come back with outside targets, or be willing once again to allow Howie Roseman to be involved in process.
— Jeff McLane (@Jeff_McLane) January 11, 2021
Okay, so… Doug made his case to Jeffrey Lurie by saying he wanted to mostly promote from within? From a staff that has done a poor job over the last three years?
*(EDIT – This was confusing at first, but we’re now told that this was the list of changes Doug presented to Lurie at their initial meeting, not necessarily the second, follow-up meeting)
Among these coaches are:
- Press Taylor, who has spent one season as passing game coordinator and QB coach. He is 32 years old and numerous reports say that he does not coach Carson Wentz hard enough.
- Dave Fipp, who this year was in charge of perhaps the worst Eagles special teams unit of the past 20 seasons.
- Andrew Breiner, who is 36 and only has one year of NFL experience, as a passing game analyst. He was a pass game coordinator and QB coach at Mississippi State and coached the FCS Fordham Rams to 12 wins and 10 losses.
- Matt Burke, who oversaw terrible defense as Miami’s coordinator.
- Cory Undlin, the Eagles’ former DB coach who this year was defensive coordinator of the 32nd-ranked Detroit Lions.
This is not inspiring.
Also, notice how every leak involves Doug Pederson or the coaching staff? Funny how we never hear anything about Howie Roseman..