Sixers vs. Thunder Betting Preview (January 17, 2021)

sixers thunder betting preview
Photo credit: Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

On Sunday night, the Sixers and Thunder meet for the first time this season.

Let’s get into our Sixers-Thunder betting preview, including odds, boosts, and picks.

 

Preview

The Sixers will finish off a two-game road trip on Sunday night as they travel to Oklahoma City to take on the 6-6 Thunder. To say the last week has been an up-and-down ride for Philadelphia would be an understatement.

A shorthanded Sixers squad got blown out on Monday 112-94 in Atlanta, then squared off against another team decimated by health and safety protocols, taking down the Miami Heat in back-to-back games at home. On Saturday night, the Sixers dropped a disappointing 106-104 result in Memphis in sophomore guard Ja Morant’s first game back in over a month.

They’ll look to right the ship against a Thunder team that pulled out a 127-125 overtime win against the Chicago Bulls on Friday after losing back-to-back home games against the Spurs and Lakers.

Oklahoma City will be without former Sixer Al Horford, Trevor Ariza, and Ty Jerome for this one.

Note: FOX Bet has an awesome offer ahead of the NFL Divisional Playoffs. Click here to get a +500 odds on the Saints to score at least once on Sunday in PA. Get in on the action in NJ right here .

 

Sixers vs. Thunder Odds

Here’s the line for the Sixers and Thunder at DraftKings Sportsbook:

  • Spread: Sixers -3, Thunder +3
  • Moneyline: Sixers -150, Thunder +125
  • Total: 223

And here are the current best available odds for the Sixers (may not display on Google AMP pages):

 

Bets We Like With a Sixers Win

FiveThirtyEight gives the Sixers a 44% chance of winning with a +1.5 point line. Philadelphia’s implied win probability based on the moneyline, however, is 56%. This marks one of the rare occasions this season when the oddsmakers and projection model have favored opposing sides in a Sixers game.

Get started with DraftKings Sportsbook and grab up to $1,000 in free bets or get 100-1 NFL odds this weekend right here .

DraftKings Sportsbook

States: PA, NJ, IN, IL, CO, MI, TN, VA, WV

GET THE APP
SIGNUP BONUS$1,050
RISK-FREE + DEPOSIT MATCH
BET NOW

 

Sixers to Win and Over 223 Points (+210, DraftKings)

This is another game that feels difficult to justify a Sixers win, especially with Joel Embiid being out. However, if you’re planning on taking the Sixers to win, consider parlaying it with over 223 total points.

Both teams have seen the total points clear the threshold in two of their past three games. Oklahoma City has the potential to rack up a big number at home like in their 127-125 win over Chicago a couple of nights ago. The Sixers have scored 104, 125, and 137 points over their past three games and it stands to reason that without Joel Embiid in the lineup, this game will be a perimeter-based, high scoring game.

Click here to get a $1,000 risk-free first bet or 25-1 NFL odds this weekend with FanDuel Sportsbook.

FanDuel Sportsbook

States: PA, NJ, IA, IL, CO, IN, TN, VA, WV, MI

GET THE APP
SIGNUP BONUS$1,000
RISK-FREE
BET NOW

 

 

Bets We Like Independent of Outcome

Oklahoma City to Cover (+3) and Over 223 Points (+255, DraftKings)

The oddsmakers installed the Sixers as the favorite in this one, despite the fact that Joel Embiid won’t be in the lineup and that the Sixers have struggled to keep elite guards in check. This has all the makings of a huge night for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. OKC has covered the spread in 58.3% of their games this season and have covered the spread in each of their last eight games as underdogs on Sunday.

It’s also worth noting that in five of the Sixers past six games on the second leg of a back-to-back, the total points have gone over the threshold. There’s a high chance that OKC could win this game outright, but this bet takes the outcome out of play, while providing real value when parlayed with over 223 points.

Click here to get a 100% deposit match of up to $500 with BetMGM.

BetMGM Sportsbook

STATES: CO, IN, IA, MI, NV, NJ, PA, TN, WV, VA

GET THE APP
SIGNUP BONUS$600
RISK-FREE
BET NOW

 

 

Sixers and Thunder Each Over 100.5 Points (-400, FOX Bet)

While this bet doesn’t pay out a wild multiplier, it’s still a safe bet and one that you might want to consider in a parlay. The Sixers have score at least 100 points in 12 of 14 games and 101+ in 11 of 14 games. Philadelphia was the top defense in the NBA earlier in the season, but some high-scoring affairs with a limited bench has seen that number drop all the way to 16th in the league.

The Thunder have posted at least 101 points in 9 of 12 games this season, including five of their last six games. Oklahoma City is 27th in the NBA in points, allowing opponents to average 106.0 points per game.

 

Ben Simmons Over 9.5 Rebounds and Over 7.5 Assists (+175, FanDuel)

You’ll need to build this parlay yourself over at FanDuel Sportsbook, but it’s worth the few extra clicks. In the month of January, Sixers point guard Ben Simmons is averaging 11.6 points, 9.1 rebounds, and 9.1 assists per game.

Simmons has gone over 7.5 assists in four of his last five games and six of his last eight. He’s been a beast on the boards in the Sixers’ past two games, pulling down 16 against the Grizzlies and 10 against Miami. He had a four-game streak of double digit rebound performances earlier this season as well.

In two games against the Thunder a season ago, Simmons averaged 13.0 rebounds and 8.0 assists per game in two contests.

 

Tyrese Maxey Over 20.5 Combined Points, Rebounds, and Assists (-106, DraftKings)

Rookie guard Tyrese Maxey has been something of revelation for the Sixers this season. After dropping in the draft beyond where most pundits believed he’d land, Philadelphia selected him with the 21st overall pick. He’s seen his playing time dramatically increase over the past seven games, including a few performances when the Sixers had a number of players out due to health and safety protocols.

Maxey’s upside cannot be overstated and with the absence of Joel Embiid, expect the Sixers to lean on Maxey and fellow guard Shake Milton to shoulder more of the scoring load. In the month of January, Maxey is averaging 15 points, three rebounds, and just under three assists per game. He’s totaled over 20.5 combined points, rebounds, and assists in four of his past six games overall.

 

50-1 Odds on Joel Embiid to Score a Point This Week (+5000, FOX Bet)

Note: PA only.

FOX Bet is once again running an exclusive promo for new users who sign up for their sportsbook. FOX Bet is making it easier than ever to turn $1 into $50 if Sixers franchise center Joel Embiid scores at least one point against the Boston Celtics on January 20.

To get the offer, select the NBA menu and then navigate to “futures” and “bet boosts.” There, you’ll find a “new customer exclusive” to bet $1 for a $50 win on Joel Embiid to score a point. In order for this promo to count, this must be the first wager placed as a new user.

Get it in PA right here .

 

Sixers vs. Thunder Prediction

Pick: Avoid taking either team on the moneyline. Take the Oklahoma City Thunder to Cover +3 and Over 223 total points. Also consider some of the prop bets outlined above independent of outcome.

Note: FOX Bet has an awesome offer ahead of the NFL Divisional Playoffs. Click here to get a +500 odds on the Saints to score at least once on Sunday in PA. Get in on the action in NJ right here .

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email