The players are currently locked out, but teams can do minor league deals, and if both sides get their shit together in a few months’ time, there will be six contracted players participating in Phillies spring training.
Via press release:
- Cam Bedrosian, RHP – Bedrosian, 30, made a total of 26 major league appearances last season between the Phillies, Cincinnati Reds and Oakland Athletics. He combined for a 5.04 ERA and had 23 strikeouts in 25.0 innings pitched. For the Phillies, Bedrosian held opposing hitters to a .211 batting average and posted a 4.35 ERA in 11 appearances. He is the son of former Phillies Cy Young Award winner, Steve Bedrosian.
- Andrew Bellatti, RHP – Originally selected by the Tampa Bay Rays in the 12th round of the June 2009 draft, Bellatti appeared in three games last season for the Miami Marlins. In 30 combined appearances between double-A Pensacola and triple-A Jacksonville, the 30-year-old right-hander combined for a 1.36 ERA with 42 strikeouts to 12 walks in 33.0 innings pitched. In those 30 appearances, he held the 129 hitters he faced to a .511 OPS.
- Tyler Cyr, RHP – Cyr, 28, is a veteran of six minor league seasons in which he has posted a 2.99 ERA over 179 games. He has struck out 289 of the 1,024 batters he has faced (28.2%) and has allowed only 10 home runs in 240.2 career minor league innings while holding opponents to a .290 slugging percentage.
- Joe Gatto, RHP – Gatto, 26, was originally selected in the second round of the June 2014 draft by the Los Angeles Angels. He pitched in the Texas Rangers organization last season and appeared in 35 games between double-A Frisco and triple-A Round Rock. In those 35 appearances, he posted a 3.32 ERA with a 29.2% strikeout rate and 8.1% walk rate. Born in Voorhees, N.J., Gatto is a 2014 graduate of St. Augustine College Preparatory School in Richland, N.J.
- Michael Kelly, RHP – Originally selected by the San Diego Padres in the compensation round (48th overall) of the June 2011 draft, Kelly, 29, pitched in the Houston Astros minor league system in 2021 and made 41 combined appearances between double-A Corpus Christi and triple-A Sugar Land. Between both levels, he posted a 2.70 ERA and held the 210 batters he faced to a .233/.300/.344 slash line.
- Jake Newberry, RHP – Newberry, 27, has pitched parts of four major league seasons for the Kansas City Royals, posting a 4.84 ERA over 65 appearances with 69 strikeouts in 70.2 innings pitched. He has 255 career minor league appearances over nine seasons and has held the 1,945 batters he has faced to a .254/.319/.369 slash line.
- As previously announced on Nov. 30, LHP Kyle Dohy was not tendered a contract and re-signed to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Bellatti and Newberry are the two with Major League experience. Bellati was with the Rays in 2015 and had a brief stint with the Marlins last year. Newberry spent 2018-2021 with the Royals.