God bless the internet for stories like this.
Several Twitter sleuths deciphered a grainy picture that Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones held up briefly during a press conference after the first round of the NFL draft, which gives us all a great look into their draft evaluations (and a good laugh at Jerry Jones’s ineptitude).
It’s becoming quite the draft tradition for the Cowboys to foolishly tip their hand in revealing their draft targets, as this is the FOURTH time a leak has occurred to the Cowboys since 2010, according to Yahoo Sports.
Mike Leslie, a sports anchor at WFAA in Dallas, shared this screen shot yesterday of Jones holding up the franchise’s rankings of their top players in the 2022 draft.
Lol not for lack of trying… I legit went home and screencast our video of the presser from my laptop to my TV… this was all I got pic.twitter.com/rjVG093qAT
— Mike Leslie (@MikeLeslieWFAA) May 3, 2022
It’s grainy as hell and nearly impossible to read. No way anyone would take the time or effort to decipher how the Cowboys ranked their potential draft targets, right? Oh my, you’re very, very wrong.
Twitter users painstakingly analyzed the lengths of the player names and schools and came up with a very accurate list of what is most-likely the a ranking of the players the franchise targeted in the first round. Here’s what they came up with.
Top of the 2022 Cowboys draft board – name and school length match up nicely. pic.twitter.com/fPVULWo7li
— OCC44 (@OCC44) May 3, 2022
It looks correct! They match up quite well with the very grainy picture Jones so brazenly flashed in a press conference at the conclusion of the first round.
The Cowboys ended up picking Tyler Smith, an offensive tackle out of Tulsa. But if the list is correct, Eagles and Giants fans can take solace in the fact that their franchises selected THREE of Dallas’s most highly sought after prospects.
The Giants nabbed the Cowboys top-two draft targets in Kayvon Thibodeaux and Evan Neal, while the Eagles took Jordan Davis, who was just outside of their top-10. SUCK IT, DALLAS.
My god, Jerry, learn a lesson. He’s like that one friend in your group that you know is incapable of keeping a secret. You’re not going tell him that story about knocking up a Hooters waitress last month, because you just KNOW he’s going to be talking about it within earshot of your wife at your kid’s fifth birthday.
Here’s the remaining list, as pieced together in the Yahoo Sports article:
17. Devin Lloyd, LB (27th to the Jaguars)
18. Daxton Hill, S (31st to the Cincinnati Bengals)
19. Breece Hall, RB (36th to the Jets)
20. Kenyon Green, OG (15th to the Texans)
21. George Karlaftis, DE (30th to the Kansas City Chiefs)
22. Zion Johnson, OG (17th to the Los Angeles Chargers)
23. Treylon Burks, WR (18th to the Tennessee Titans)
24. Kyler Gordon, CB (39th to the Chicago Bears)
25. Tyler Linderbaum, C (25th to the Ravens)
26. David Ojabo, LB (45th to the Ravens)
27. Jahan Dotson, WR (16th to the Washington Commanders)
28. Jermaine Johnson, DE (26th to Jets)
29. Kaiir Elam, CB (23rd to the Buffalo Bills)
30. Arnold Ekiketie, DE (38th to the Falcons)
31. Trent McDuffie, CB (21st to the Chiefs)
32. Quay Walker, LB (22nd to the Packers)
33. Devonte Wyatt, DT (28th to the Packers)
34. Logan Hall, DE (33rd to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
Can’t wait to see who they’re looking at next year!